Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
i need help and information

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

i need help and information

I HAVE TWO PIGGYS(GUINEA) MY MALE AND FEMALE HAVE BEEN ACTING VERY WIEIRD.  I USUALLY GET THEM OUT TWO TO THREE TIMES A DAY.  NOW WHEN I HAVE GONE TO PICK HER UP SHE HAD BEEN WHAT I CALL NIPPY SHE RUNS IN CIRCLE AND  HAS BEEN WHINNING TOO. ALSO ASIDE FROM THAT HOW DO I TELL IF SHE IS PREGO
You can tell the female is pregnant because the belly will become plumper after four or five weeks. When you place her on your lap, your piggy will be noticeably heavier and you'll likely be able to feel the babies moving about. The birth would happen after three months from conception. Don't be surprised if there's some blood involved.

The male may help out with cleaning the babies and be somewhat involved, but don't be surprised if he's totally uninterested in what's going on...it's common. (Those irresponsible males! :)  )

Generally the behavior you describe comes from disturbing a piggys sleep cycle; picking them up abruptly when sleeping can startle them and cause a fear reaction.

Remember, piggies and other rodents have a prey mentality. They view the world from a "Will it eat me???" perspective.

So it's possible you've got a pregnant piggy who's either a bit worried about the safety of her new babes, and/or she's had her sleep cycle changed because of pregnancy.

Try to be aware of any new changes to your wee girls behavior that aren't so obvious (eating, sleeping, play behavior when in cage, etc...)

Congrat's on the possible pregnancy, let us know how it goes!
Unless you're willing to have more and more piglets, it would be good to separate the male from the female. He'll be interested in breeding with her as soon as she gives birth. It would be nice to give her a break.
That's just...terrible!!! Don't male piggies understand the need for responsible fatherhood and planned parenting?!?!  :->
That's "prey" animals for you. My mice do the same thing. Romantic little rascals. :-)