Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
new rat sniffles, or worse?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

new rat sniffles, or worse?

So i caved in and adopted 2 feeder rats i played with while volenteering at a reptile sanctuary. They are young, and as i am the primary rat keeper/breeder i have a no tollerance polocy when i hear one of my rats sneezing. Haven't had any sick rats in months. Anyways these 2 have sniffles. They make a soft "sniff sniff sniff" sound when i put them to my ear to listen to thier breathing. A week ago i would hear a few clicks that i assume is sinus congestion. One of them sneezes about a dozen times a day. I keep them in the really expensive pure white carefresh, not the dusty brown stuff, and change it bi weekly. I also have them on eccinacia and small ammounts of ColdFX powder from the capsules. They have remained stable, but have not been improving. Their behavior seems normal, and they are eating and drinking well. One ocasionally has porphoryn ( that red stuff) on his nose when he wakes up from a nap.
This has been on for a week and a half. is it time to suck it up and take them to the vet? Or am i just worrying too much.
I would check with a vet. My rats didn't develop the red nasal discharge until they were quite old, during their last couple months of life. Your friends are still young. So far they sound like they're in pretty good health and the little sniffling sounds don't raise a red flag for me. Mine did that a lot. But the sneezing all day long sounds like some kind of allergy. You may use the best bedding in the world but if a particular pet is sensitive to it, then you have a problem. As  breeder rats, who knows what their genetic background may be.

I do hope you can find the source of the problem and they get better soon. Rats are fantastic pets.
Does anyone know what to expect as my pet rat ages? I have an older rat now about 28 months old. He is my first (I have three more I got quite awhile after my older rats cage mate moved away with my son). I have had "Ben" since he was about 6-8 weeks old, he has only had a couple minor injuries which are fine now, but now he is old, and now he walks wobbly and keeps his head tilted to one side, and loses his balance. I don't allow him to be anywhere he can fall because of his balance problem. He seems more withdrawn than he used to be, and sleeps more. He doesn't want to play anymore, I'm very sad about this change, he roamed freely among the humans and other pets like he was a minature dog. Now I hardly see him, because he spends more time alone, and hiding. I miss him, even though he is still with me.
That sounds about right. My rats gradually lost some of their hair, they lost their appetite and became thinner. They developed a reddish/bloody looking discharge from their noses. It became more and more difficult to keep them interested in food. Then one day they were simply gone.

Two of my rats developed mammary tumors that became quite uncomfortable, to the point they could barely walk. No idea what effect it had on their internal organs. Those are the only two I had to euthanize.