Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
sick ferret, diahorrea and weight loss

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

sick ferret, diahorrea and weight loss

Hi  I've had one of my ferrets to the vet recently as he's lost a good bit of weight and has diahorrea.
My vet is not very clued up on ferrets and gave him kaline and bacteria for his gut but didn't seem to know what was wrong.
I am quite ferret knowledgable though and have researched this thoroughly online.
I first thought it could've been due to a forced change of food due to the shop i purchased their food from stopping making the food they were raised on.
I changed them to a ferret kibble and some kitten food mixed through as they were raised on kitten food to begin with.
It appears that he likely has epizootic cattarrhal enteritis, which basically has to run its course in about 6 months.
I am feeding him his dry food, baby food which was suggested and i that i know about through reading about ferrets and illness, and supplementing his diet with ferret vitamin paste.

I have also set up a large separate cage from my other ferret so i can more thoroughly monitor his food intake and output as the other ferret eats plenty and is a good, sturdy size.

Any suggestions as to other foodstuffs that may beef him up a bit. He is still eating and drinking.
Their cage is cleaned regularly, litter daily, they are given plenty of exercise outwith their cage, well loved.
Sleep in a cat bed with toys and blankets.

Are loved and well cared for in every way.
I was thinking maybe to buy him some chicken or cold meat?

I took him in off the street a year or two ago, he was in a terrible state and i fell  in love with him. I bought him a friend and would be devastated if after all he's been through and being such a gem. Died of some random illness.

Please advise. Thanks xxxxxx
Something that should help would be using pedilyte instead of general water.  The constant diahrrea will make the ferret dehydrate that much more quickly.  The pedilyte will give the needed fluids as well as the electrolytes that are being lost (sodium, potassium etc).  

A fatty acid supplement will also help to strengthen the immune system and kick his body into fighting harder against the disease.  

Otherwise, keep him warm, comfortable and secure.  He'll need lots of warmth, rest and good food to overcome the infection.

Good luck!

Good luck!
He made a full recovery, sadly i just lost his friend and my other baby to a short traumatic illness x