Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
African-American Women with PCOS and Hirsutism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Hello  everyone, I hope all is well. I was just diagnosed with PCOS although I've had symptoms of it since I was 12 (hirsutism) and I am now 36. My hirsutism was diagnosed as idiopathic because the testing I had did not indicate an elevated testosterone level. I don't know if the testing is more sophisticated now but I had new testing done and it did indicate that my free weak testosterone was elevated.

Anyway, I have a few hairs under my chin, a lot on my neck, chest, stomach, and inner thighs. I know...it's not attractive and very depressing. I pluck (which is not good for you and causes hyperpigmentation) and I shave. I've become very skilled at covering the hyperpigmentation up with concealer but I'm so tired of it. The plucking on my neck has caused so much hyperpigmentation that I have to conceal it or people would look at me and ask me, "What's wrong with your neck?" The skin on my chest also has hyperpigmentation and I only shave this area. I feel like a freak every time I shave my chest because I'm a woman and I'm a woman who loves makeup, clothes, fashion, shoes, etc. It just seems so wrong! If I wear low cut blouses I have to try to conceal the hyperpigmentation but it's difficult because the skin is not completely smooth and it looks like I've shaved so I'm always on the search for really nice big necklaces that would cover this part of my chest. It's difficult being me!!

If anyone can relate to me send me a message and let me know your struggle or what you've done to help this problem. It was difficult for me to share this because although I know it has to do with having PCOS and I did not cause this to happen, it still is embarrassing.

Also, I don't want to seem superficial or extremely vain because I do have other health concerns that are potentially much more damaging than the aesthetic ramifications of hirsutism but I just want to know if other African-American women are experiencing this because our skin is slightly different.

Thanks.
hello, I am also an african american woman who is 27 and had symptoms of pcos since i was 14. I recently went to the doctor and they just told me that my testosterone levels werent high enough. but when i looked up pcos, i have every symptom including high blood  pressure (extremely high) and within the last month, hair loss at the crown of my head. My chin and neck are scarred from plucking and pulling and im just at my wits end with this. I went to sallys and got a bottle of "skin tight" and i notice that it minimized the ingrown hair bumps which makes my skin feel  and look ALOT smoother and i am looking for something for the hyperpigmentation. i understand what you have and been so frustrated with it because im the only one i know amongst my friends who have it. i hate looking in the mirror and my face is clear but my chin and neck are atrocious! a real confidence killer. let me know any pointers i can use.
Thanks for responding. I thought that I was a lonely soldier out here. PCOS is funny because you don't have to have every sign or symptom. My battle with hirsutism has been going on for a long time now and plucking and shaving has been my only uses. I tried TendSkin from Sephora but didn't notice a difference and I had a prescription for Vaniqua but I only used one tube. It's expensive and insurance doesn't pay for it.

I've seen Skin Tight but I thought it wouldn't work so I didn't buy it. My dermatologist told me that plucking is really bad because it causes ingrown hairs which causes the hyperpigmentation. It's a habit that's hard to break because I've been doing since I was 15.

It seem as if a dermatologist can help with the hyperpigmentation. I'm scheduling an appointment with mine to see if there are any available creams to lighten the dark spots and also to get another prescription of Vaniqua. Birth control pills with spironolactone can decrease hair growth, but I don't do well with synthetic hormones, so that option is out. My endocronologist told me that nothing he can give me will completely take the hair away. He talked about several options. Birth control and spironolactone, metformin, vaniqua and exercise. Losing a little weight has been shown to decrease hirsutism, but when I was thinner I had hirsutism just not as much.

This is an ongoing problem and I think the only options that will completely remove the hair is electrolysis and laser, both of which are expensive, and the laser hair removal can be tricky with dark skin.

I completely understand how you feel and I'm here for you when you get frustrated. If you learn anything let me know and I'll do the same.

Take care.
hello. i am new to this site n it makes me feel better to kno that there are others out here wit the same problems. i am 24 and jus like you and others i have PCOS. i believe it started at 17. i had developed a cyst on my left ovary due to stress. i also have hair growing on my chest, chin, and face. and to top it off i have soo much free testosterone n not enough estrogen that my female features don't really show too much like small breast. now me n my fiance' are ready to concieve (conceive) but because of my cyst n PCOS it is very difficult for us. i really don't kno of any cures but i kno prayer helps. it also help to kno that we are not alone out here. do you have any children at all. if i could just have me one, i will be happy.

god bless in ur quest....
Hello, I wanted you to know that it is possible for you to have children if you have PCOS. I have two children. What makes it difficult for you to conceive? Is your menstruation regular and how big is the cyst in your ovary? I don't know if you have regular contact with your physician regarding this concern of your's because you should. A lot of women that have problems conceiving take the drug metformin and this seems to help.

I'm a little older than you (12 years older) but I've been dealing with excessive hair since I was 13. It started on my chest and then went to my neck and stomach and a little on my chin. I've become pretty good concealing it with shaving, plucking (which is bad for your skin and causes ingrown hairs) and then applying makeup over the hyperpigmentation. It's still extremely aggravating and it seems so masculine. I'm using the cream Vaniqua to see if this will decrease the hair and I've considered taking metformin (this drug apparently helps with hirsutism also) but I'm still thinking about that.

So, don't worry just arm yourself with the most information you can and become extremely active in whatever quest you may have. I also wanted you to know that I have elevated free testosterone but my total testosterone is normal. I also smaller breasts but I do have children and I also breast feed both of my children (my daughter for almost two years.) LOL! Yeah I know that's a long time....she had teeth too:-). Good luck and remember to pray and DON'T be passive in your search for health and children.

Take care
Hi  coco727272,

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS.  I am not African American, I am of Sicilian decent.  I also have had problems with hursutism.  I had something called laser hair removal on my face to remove upper lip hair, chin, neck and "sideburn" hair.  It is really very effective and permanently removes hair as the laser kills the hair's root. You'll probably always have some hairs because you can grow new ones at any time in your life but it kills the hairs that are there.  When I had my first rounds of laser hair removal I had to stay completely out of the sun because it was only for people with lighter skin because the laser targets the dark hair. I have olive skin so I had to really let myself get pale.  However, in recent years the technology has improved and they now have lasers that will work on people with darker skin.  So the last time I they could use it on my skin even though it was darker.  I would definitely recommend it to anyone struggling with excess hair. While I still pluck a few hairs each day it had greatly improved my quality of life and my skin.  It really got rid of the bulk of my hair. If I had more money I would go back for more treatments. It is costly but in my opinion having some treatments is definitely worth the quality of life.  I would recommend searching for a place near you that does it but make sure they have the type of laser that can treat darker skin.  Also make sure you go some place reputable and not just some random salon.  Many doctors offices actually offer the service now so that is one option - your doctor may actually know someone.  Good luck and don't get discouraged!  I just had to tell you about the laser hair removal though because it's really improved my appearance and quality of life because now I don't spend so much time managing excess hair or feeling self-conscious.
My cousin and I have the hair problems although hers is worse and since she started electrolysis she has no issues... I've had laser hair removal in the past. It was the best and the worst thing I could do. The hair was gone for like 3mos...but it was extremely painful because the pigment in my skin is darker.. I literally couldn't close my legs for 3 day! Yes I was ice packed down. But the hair went away. You have to do sessions and it takes at least 3 to inhibit the hair growth. Make sure someone who is familiar with African American and lasers. It is also a little pricey 300 per session but hey whatever works. Just be consistent with whatever.
Thanks a lot for responding. I've thought about and researched laser hair removal. I want to do it but the cost of it has stopped me from getting it done. I'm going to save so that I can eventually, because it's extremely frustrating shaving and plucking.

Take care.
Thanks for the advice. I've seen information about darker skin being harder to treat and having possible skin discoloration from the laser, so it's important to seek out a professional that understands darker skin and has experience treating it. This is a frustrating problem but I'm going to save so that I can have it done.

Take care.
Coco, as well as all of the other ladies, I know that it is not easy to deal with this situation and the pressure that society puts on you.....On the other side of the coin, there are lots of people, men and women, who will recognize your beauty and value as a person instead of judging your appearance just because you happen to be hirsute.....I am sorry if people look at you strangely or put you down, but that does not make you an unattractive woman.....It is strength of character and personality that will define you....

Hang in there!
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS, but have had issues with acne and facial/body hair for the last few years. In the last 8 months my skin issues have worsen.I'm currently threading once a week on my neck, under my chin and upper lip. It helps slow the growth of my hair but I still have regrowth weekly. I used to have clear skin and no facial hair so this has been a tough issue to deal with. When at work or out people stare at my face and neck when they talk to me and its so embarassing. I'm so self concious of my appearence. Going out without makeup isn't an option anymore, unless I'm at the gym. Right now I'm using derma e skinbiotics treament creme and skin lighten creme. I've been using both cremes for about 3 weeks to help with the acne and dark marks. It helps to keep my skin smooth and my breakouts are less.  Has anyone had negative side effects using birth control pills or stronger hormonal pills to deal with acne and hair growth? Also, what prescribed medications are people using for the hair? Any success with skin lighteners that don't use hydroquoine to help with dark marks? The products I currently use are all natural from the heath food store. Its great to have a forum to finally talk to people who can relate.
Thanks, I look forward to hearing from everyone.
I'm Jewish, and I'm told that my hirsuitism is caused by a genetic disease common in semetic and african peoples. I'm on Spironolactone, which has softened my hair, and it has slowed down the hair growth,  some places my hair has gone, but this process takes months of taking the med (+6months) to see any difference. I still get hair on my chin, but most of my hirsuitism has been on my stomach, thighs and legs. I'm down to shaving every other day now, sometimes I can go 3 days. I was shaving twice a day in the summer before.  I'm too old to go on the pill, but I think this has worked better!
Hi, I am writing an article about PCOS in African American women. If you would be interested in contributing your experiences, please send me an email at ***@****
Has anyone tried vaniqa?

There are many choices when it comes to managing unwanted facial hair. VANIQA® is the only prescription product approved by the FDA and clinically proven to reduce the growth of unwanted facial hair in women. VANIQA works by slowing the growth of hair rather than just removing it. Many women will see results within 4 to 8 weeks when used twice a day every day but for some women it may take longer. With VANIQA, you'll feel confident that people won't notice your UFH, even when you're up close...
www.vaniqa.com

I saw a commercial for it last night I'm really thinking about it.
hi i'm new to here but i just want to say that i am also african and have had hair on my chin since i was 11 and am now 17 and it has gotten so bad that i have thick hair on my cheeks i have pcos and it is difficult having a beard but also more difficult being the only black person i know who has one. you usually see women of other races with hirsutism and that made me feel like a freak i'm so glad to know that there are other black women out there with this disorder. i just want to know if you all can keep me posted on what's working for you
I"m so glad for this support blog. We all need this site to support each other. I too have suffered with hirsutism in my 20"s and now I'm 36 and still suffering from it. At first when it started I was on Depovera the birth control injection that you get every three months and I was practically on it for four years til I stop to start my family. At first I noticed a mild hair growth under my chin and that's when I started using depilatory cream to get it off and at that time it worked out fine. After I got married that's when I started to see like an increase on hair growth and I stop the depilatory and started to shave from time to time. Like every other day. The hair started to spray out throughout my side burns and the corner of my mouth. So all that time i kept on with shaving. So i saw an add in the paper about laser. So I called and wanted to try and see if it will work. So i went for my free consult, the doc told me about the price and however many treatments I will need to minimize the hair growth. So i was very happy and started the treatment. The first treatment was fine, didn't get burn and anything. 2nd treament was also fine and the3rd and then the 4th but  no sign of hair slowing down so I stop the laser and went back to shaving again. So after few years I said to myself maybe I will try electrolysis, but I did not have any money and wanting to learn more before i try it out. When I was ready to try out I was already in my 30's and at that time I had tolerance for pain so i begin the treatment . The cost was high but since it is a permanent way of reducing the hair I did not care. It cost me about $45dollaars for 30minutes. So I tried it for about 6months and it didn't work so I stop.  Went back shaving every other day.One day I started doing more research  on the net and found out about a medecine that block the men hormones called ALDACTONE generic SPIRONLACTONE and read about it and wanted to try it and this is what saved me and made me feel like the way I felt once before...  Now I took the generic before and also took the brand name . In my opinion the brand might cost a little   bit more but it is the best because all of that breast tenderness the side effect are  minimal compare to  the generic. So I'm using it now  in conjunction with vaniqua and it has been working fine and I can see the hair slowing a lot and of course you have to keep taking  the pills to get the result that you have been seeking.Now about  large pores and the highpigmentation that I had from doing laser and electrolysis, Im planning on getting microdermabrasion done to smooth the skin out a bit, but will keep everyone posted.... Please do not be discouraged... There are a lot of people that are dealing with this excessive hair problem then what you think...Some women are just embarassed about the whole thing and please do not pluck, because it makes the hair growth coarser and dark. Plus it makes you have large pores and you do not want that so if you want to do anything shave with an electric razor to minimize the bumps or just shave with a regular razor. When you use a regular razor shave at the direction of the hair growth and and use a single blade and so it won't be hard on the skin. Shave gently and when you do that you end up not having any bumps and always put on a moisturizer afterwards. When you wash your face try to wash it with cold water so your pores will  not open but when you wash with hot water it opens up the pores and it become more apparent when you apply makeup. Avoid OC skin lighteners unless it is prescribed because it can contain some chemical that will worsen your situation.. Alright I can go on but will stop here. Anyone that has any question for me can write me... Lets check back on this blog... thx..
I am a 25 year old African American female and I was diagnosed a year ago with PCOS, but i started having an irregular period when i was 20 and hair growth on my face when i was 21 and slim.  My doctor wants me to take birth control and metformin.  I feel like its too many pills, however i feel the same way everyone else feels about the hair growth.  I feel really hesitant to take so much medicine, but i don't want to keep dealing with this excess hair on my chin and neck.
I am happy that I found this post because i felt so alone with this issue.

-Amanda
When i read your story I cried .I know how you feel.I'm the same way, I have the same exact problems. The depressing part about it is, that I'm a teenager. I can't enjoy life the way I want to. Im glad that I found this web page
i am 30yrs old and found out i had pcos when i was about 19. im african american and i first noticed hair growing on my upper lip at in junior high school. then it got thicker when i got to high school and i started shaving. my aunt took me to the doctor when i was 19 and still never had a period and thats when i found out. not too long after that i started growing hair on my chin and now its on my stomach. i pluck all the time like when watching tv or ill wax it off. it hurts but i dont care as long as its off. i too wear makeup just to cover the dark shadow of where ive shaved. it is very annoying to deal with and know some doctors and pharamcists alike dont know much about it. ive tried metformin, spironolactone, birth control and now i was told to take a multivitamin with a high amount of folic acid. i want kids an was told it may be difficult for me. i try to stay positive but its hard. most time i wonder why i was cursed with this and not be like most other females. but i do believe that things happen for a reason, but im still trying to figure this one out. lol. im just glad to know there are lots of others out there like me so now i dont feel like a reject.
I'm 27, African-American, married for several years, and I've also been dealing with the issue of hirsuitism. I have regular periods, but every couple of months I'll have a really I have it the worse on my neck and chin, and bikini line. The doctor has recommended spiroactone, but said that it isnt recommended when you're trying to conceive... so I havent taken it. I have been using this tool: http://www.facialwork.com/

which works well on my neck and chin area... I I am looking for natural remedies, and so far, I found this website which offers these basic peices of advice: exercise 30 minutes per day- get rid of starchy carbs and sugar, reduce stress- spearmint tea 2-3 times per day (this definitely works) and read, read, read.
l am a black woman and l was diagnosed with pcos 2 years ago.my doctor had warned me about unwanted hair on my neck and face but he had assured me not to worry about it because l will not experience any excessive hair as long as l keep myself thin (low weight). l still havent experienced excessive hair.
Hi everyone!

I'm happy to find that I am not alone. I'm a 28 year old African American woman who has suffered with hirsutism since I was about 12 or 13. I hate it so much. Some days I can deal with it and then others are just the worse. I think today is one of those bad days. Does any have difficulty in the romance area because of the hair growth? I am always afraid to get close to anyone because I fear that if I let the guy know, he won't want to be with me. I'm in a relatioship now that is getting a bit serious but i have never told him about the hair. I am still afriad to. Then I'm afraid I won't be able to have any children. I just worry so much. And today i am feeling pretty down about it.
While hair growth/loss hasn't been the bigger of the issues with me, my gynecologist prescribed some generic water pills and they worked wonders. You might ask yours about it and see what they think. Only thing is you have to really watch your water intake, so that you don't dehydrate as they make you run to the restroom frequently for the first few weeks. What the water pills do is block off the hair follicles and stop them from growing as quickly. I put away my razor and forgot about stomach hair until I lost my insurance and had to stop filling the prescriptions for both bc and the wp.
Hello all, coco in particular!  I have been struggling with excessive hair all over my body for years (since I was 13), I'm African American and all of my friends used to make fun of me for it because they were always so smooth.  As a younger girl I tried to get rid of the hair by shaving and plucking but it scarred me so horribly...so now I have to deal with the hair and the scars...especially since I'm much lighter, the scars are very visible.  I can't even wear a bathing suit.  I run track, but surprisingly I have an extremely feminine build...wearing clothes you wouldn't suspect that I was so dang hairy.  That's the upsetting part, I would feel so much more attractive if I didn't have this problem, I felt I was the only one, because I had not meat anyone like me.  I'm currently in a serious relationship, (I'm now 22 years old), my boyfriend knows of the problem but accepts me luckily, though I can tell it does get in the way of certain things....I'm so happy to see I'm not alone, but it doesn't solve my problem, I want to know I don't have to "get ready" to go to the beach or make love to my boyfriend or even run track for fear that any area of my body will be revealed to show how bad my excessive hairiness is.  I always thought women should just have to shave underarms bikini, and leg areas....even my sister makes fun of the fact that I have to do more.  I have no clue where I get it from, the women on my father's side have hair on their faces, but not much else where from what I've seen, so maybe there?  But it's so bad, and I'm so young and want to show off my athletic body but feel that I can't I always have to hide and shave :-( Any suggestions?  Doctors? Anything?
Hi purplepapillon87,

I feel the same way as you do. I really do especially when you say you have to do so much more than others do. I always talk about this with my friends. Mnay times I just want to get up shower and go, but that is never the case. I try to just incorporate getting rid of the hair as part of any normal daily routine of showering anf brushing teeth. But sometimes I am just tired of having to do it.
hi  purplepapillon87,
I just signed up for this website today. I am glad that i am not the only one suffering. I had excessive hair growth since i was 15 years old. I don't know how it started, but everyday i would feel sad because there is nothing i can do. I would shave so much that i would have to steal my husband's razor. Hair started growing on my chin, then stomach, and thighs, i mean everywhere. My husband knows about it and i am glad that he still loves me no matter what, but i don't feel attractive and i would wonder why me? To make matters worse, i started getting dark spots where i shave, especially under my chin. I would walk around people and wonder are they looking under my chin. I really need answers because i don't know what to do. If i shave, the spots would get worse, if i don't shave, the excessive hair would get worse. If anyone has any answers please please i am begging ya to help me
It's 5am, and I'm up reading blogs, partly because I've found myself depressed over the issues that many of you have shared on this site. I too have been dealing with excessive hair growth since my early 20's and I'm 34 now.. Like cocoa stated, I'm a girly girl who's into to fashion, makeup and hair, and I'm often told that I'm a beautiful black woman, but it was always hard for me to accept the compliment because I was hiding my excessive hair growth. I find myself wondering all the time how my life would be so much better if I didn't have to deal with the excessive hair growth on my chest, neck, chin and stomach. I meet guys all the times and I am very reluctant in getting close because I don't want to risk the opportunity of them finding out about my problem. I wish I could be as confident as people think that I am.. but the fact is my self esteem is really suffering from this issue. I really was glad to see that there are others that suffered from this same problem.. I find the most of the information posted here was quite helpful especially the part about excercising. I will try to take all this information is put it into use, so that I can start living more confident and stressfree lifestyle. Thanks for all the advice shared thus far.
I am about to burst out in tears because of this pcos thing i feel like somtimes iv,e been cursed. I am now on some of the same meds all of u girls are on and hoping for the best, hope all of u the best sucess with this problem we all are faced with. I keep all of u ladies in my prayers!!!!! Its a struggle trying to deal with it.
i really appreciate everyones honesty and in knowing i'm not alone makes me feel better that my feelings are not just mine there the same across the board. i always day dream of it being different. i hate hiding my body all the time i wanna wear open shirts and have cleavage but i can't and it makes me feel like an outsider cuz ppl ask why r u so covered up? i stopped plucking and the spots are fading slowly, i've tried spearment tea it does slow the hair down, but who wants to drink that 3 times a day?? i try but then i forget. i wanna have kids so hormones are out of the question. i tried laser and was robbed because it was the wrong one i do alot of research but there aren't any concrete answers really so shaving is all we have and ingrown bumps make me sick..i feel like i'll just have to realize this is how i am and i have to deal with it.
thanks for everyone's support and good luck :)
I was diagnosed with PCOS 10 years ago. I started taking Metformin and experienced a dramatic weight loss. The weight loss did not diminish the excess hair. I had ingrown hair and blemishes all over my face and neck. I had painful inlammed pimples. I finally took the pluge and had laser hair removal on my face and neck. Everyone should know that laser hair removal is not really permanent and that if you stop the treatment the hair will grow back (in my case anyway). The best thing about the laser hair removal is that it totally got rid of the ingrown hairs and pimples. The old blemishes are fading away. So I would recommend the laser hair removal for that benefit alone. You have to learn not to PLUCK. Plucking damages your skin. Either use small scissors to trim or use an electric trimmer.
Ilive in Barbados and was diagnosed last year with PCOS. I found that since I started taking natural supplements that the excessive hair on my chin has been drastically reduced. I still have to pluck and shave but not as much hair as before. There is a lot of useful information in health food shops and books that helped me to control the damage done to my skin by waxing, plucking and shaving. I was also feeling like a freak because of having to constantly remove hair. But I had to find ways to reduce damage to my skin. Try using aloe to cleanse the skin after hair removal. I also ocassionally blend it with fruit juices to drink it.
Like someone says I feel like crying. Incorporating plucking my hairs EVERYDAY...I spend HOURS in the mirror because im so paranoid of getting all the hair out...I waste so much of my time on that.my chest is a mess i only wear certain clothin to hide, my stomach, my chin looks dark and bumpy...omd...Iv beed diagnosed since I was 17 and Im now 27...My confidence in myself and talking to a man is sooo low and like someone says the only thing that keeps me going at times is to know that there are worst situations out there. People dont look at my eyes ...they look at my chin or chest area...i feel so embarrassed but I cannot afford laser....thanks guys for this blog..///...Im a single mommy and so glad I have my daughter but I think I will end up alone because of this...I have prepared myself for the worst but i still user concealers to look my best...by the way im from the UK...is anyone from the UK on here?
Hi, everyday is a struggle but we have to hang in there. As we all know things could be worse. I think watching what we eat and also the types of products we use on our skin is critical. Before and after hair removal try cleansing with natural products to help minimize scars and damage done by shaving , plucking and waxing. Removing the hair from the root is best as it takes longer to grow back. I find that alternating how I remove the little excess hair I have helps to also minimize damage. I use vitamin e and aloe as well as cocoa butter on my skin. Baby oil on wet skin also helps to clear up dark patches left by constant hair removal and it also works well on other types of marks. Visit the health food store to see what's out there in terms of helping with fading or concealing dark patches. We all need to learn what reacts well with our skin types and what doesn't so we know what to avoid. This is a new year and we all need to be proactive in finding ways to achieve our dreams. It doesn't help anyone to hide because we have PCOS, instead we need to start educating and helping each other. Just like everyone else, we are special too. Any man who won't accept you because you have PCOS isn't someone that you need in your life. There is someone out there for you. Work on accepting yourself and in turn others will also accept you. It's natural to be embarrassed because as a woman you don't expect to be growing a beard, but talk to your doctor to find out about medicines that can help reduce hair growth. A change of diet may also help. My hair growth has slowed down since I started using evening primrose oil, black cohash, **** quai and some other natural supplements. Explore your options. We're all in this together.
I typed a detailed description of my story, but it erased after I wen to sign up. So here we go again.
In short, I'm 28 years old and have suffered from hirsutism since I was 13. Diagnosed with PCOS this year. Lost both my fallopian tubes due to cyst that originated from my ovaries and blocked my tubes causing inflammation. I shave about every other day. I use tend skin after shaving, proactive repairing lotion daily and a sentive skin facial moisturizer, and get laser treatment about every 3 months.The laser works wonder on ingrown hairs. The Proactive repairing lotion also helps reduce them. My self esteem is shot, not only because of the hirsutism, but other things too, like the fact that I can not naturally reproduce due to losing my tubes.
Although, I am a very feminine girl, I do feel unfeminine having to shave my face every other day and  conceal the dark spots caused by growing and removing all this facial and neck hair. Now I even have some growing out of my chest. I 'm currently taking metformin 2000mg daily. 4 500mg horse pills. I started taking it in October, so I haven't really noticed much of a difference.
I've accepted that I will always have this problem, and I understand that all of my efforts to reduce or fix it have not been in vain. I think it has slowed the degree of worsening. I often imagine if I had of never made any attempts to reduce the hair growth, I'd probably look like a transgender black Santa Claus! Lol. I'm just playing, honestly, this is one of my biggest hang ups, so I have to laugh about it to keep things in perspective. We all have exterior flaws, we all are just unlucky enough that our flaw is growing beards.  I could think of plenty other things that could be worse. I just know that I am beautiful at heart and that's what matters, most.
I haven't always been this positive about it. I had to force myself to look at the big picture. Especially after losing my fallopian tubes. It made me realize that the hirsutism is minor compared to infertility. Thank god, I have the option of trying in vitro fertilization if I decide to start a family in the future, but not even that's gauranteed.
Thanks for reading my post, and please share any new ideas regarding treatment for this problem. I will try the spearmint tea. Thanks to those who mentioned that in their post.
I HAVE PCOS AND FIBROIDS..I THOUGHT I HAD IT BAD...NO I AM NOT HAPPY BECAUSE OF OTHERS PAIN BUT I DO FEEL BETTER TO KNOW THAT THINGS ARE NOT AS BAD AS THEY COULD BE....MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR TWO YEARS MY CYCLE MIGHT COME ON AND LAST 6WEEKS AND STAY OFF FOR 3MONTHS.LATELY WELL FOR THE PAST 4 MONTHS IT HAS BEEN COMING ON EVERY 6 WEEKS LASKING 7DAYS. I HAVE HAIR ON EACH SIDE OF MY FACE AND STARTING TO GO UNDER MY CHIN...STARTING TO GROW ON MY BREAST AND INNER THIGH,ALL VERY LIGHT...WE TOOK THE OVULATION TEST AROUND THE FIRST OF DEC. IT SAID POSITIVE SO WE DID "IT" AND FOR THE PAST FEW WEEKS I HAVE BEEN FEELING BLOATED ,GASSY,MOODY,PEEING ALOT,NOISE BLEED.....BUT THIS HAS BEEN MY LIFE FOR ATLEAST 6 YEARS EVEN VOMITTING WHEN CYCLE TIME...FEELING LIKE IT IS COMING BUT IT IS NOT HERE YET SO I AM HOPING THAT I AM PREGNANT......WE CAN ALL KEEP EACHOTHER IN PRAYER ...THANKS TO ALL THAT ACCEPTED ME AS A NEW FRIEND THIS SITE IS REALLY A BLESSING!!!!!!!!!!!
hi
i am a 27 year old female who also suffers with pcos and the constant hair problem i know irritating right. i have been diagnoses since i was 20 it really started with the absent periods then the hair problem started i have it on my chin upper lip and side of my face and it grows really fast and alot so i use a male cream that u just put on the face and wipe it off i still shave a little so far lucky hasnt left that perminant dark mask on my face thank good cause i have seen some other woman .
well good luck everyone
I HAVE TO DO THE SAME THING ONCE A WEEK...AND COMPARED TO MOST PEOPLE ON THIS SITE I HAVE TO SAY I HAVE BEEN BLESSED IN THE HAIR AREA..BUT I HAVE PCOS AND FIBROIDS... MOST IMPORTANT I HAVE GOD AND HE HAS ALREADY WORKED IT OUT~
  Hi everyone.  I am a 44 year old women with PCOS.  Diagnosed at age 40.  Ahah, pcos was the reason for the hairs under my chin.  My sister made fun of me for the longest time.  I just thought I had more male hormones...... yeah, I sure did!  My husband is great about the excessive hair, using Vaniqua with some success. we have been trying to conceive for about 3.5 years.  I've been through IVF for three cycles with no full term preg.   in 07, we were preg. naturally, but  I miscarried at 8 wks. we continue to try, so please keep me in your prayers.  I know God is in control.  JanPoo
Hello all,
I just went to the doctor to have test to see why I have hair growing on my upper lip,chin and along my jaw line.  In my teen years I always had light sideburns and a light mustach.  "Back then guy's thought it was sexy".  After the birth of my son in 92 I noticed hairs grownig under my chin, I thought, nothing to worry about;  January of 09, I notice a lot more hair growing on my side burns and under my chin.  I started shaving for a few months which I only had to do once or twice a week.  By April I was needing to shave every day.  I decided to try plucking which I thought was the way to go for me because the hairs would not start growing back for almost a week.  Never! should I have started plucking.  Now I have dark  areas and a few bumps under my chin and along my jaw line.   I started reading about women with the same problem as I have,  I really wanted to just clear up the dark areas first,  I purchased RX for brown skin,  I didn't think it helped me a first.  After a month I could see that the brightner really helped.  I use it faithfully and I can really see the difference along with aloe vera from the health food store and moisturizer from Mary Kay. I also use dermablend and a fantastic concealer by amazing cosmetics with a powder by Benefit which is a blot away discoloration face powder.  All those products together and you can't tell I have scars.   I'm also scheduled for consultation with an electrolysis.  By the grace of God who strengthens me I really know that everything will be alright.  So ladies Give God the glory first and see what He will do for you.
Hi everyone!
I am a 25 year old African American female. I was diagnosed  with PCOS when I was 16. I suffer from horrible facial hair and unwanted body hair. I shave every morning in the shower which has left me with excessive scars under my chin. I have tried spironolactone and that did help to slow the hair growth so that I only had to shave every other day. I am currently considering GentleLase laser treatment. Only thing is that insurance doesn't cover it! I am in medical school! i can't afford to pay for laser treatment especially since they say that I'll need at least 4 sessions. It is very depressing to be a young woman and have a face that is scarred so badly. I don't really have any advice for anyone but it just makes me feel better to be able to share with other people who understand what I am going through. My self esteem is pretty much shot because of all of the physical things that go wrong due to PCOS. The emotional side effects, to me, although not necessarily life threatening, are much more painful.

Thanks for being so open ladies.
Sisters-thanks for sharing.I've had bad acne and hirsutism since I was a teenager and I'm now 42.I tried everything and went to dermatologists,had dermabrasion done and regretted ever meeting those doctors who failed to diagnose me correctly.From my experience I can tell you:-do NOT pluck/shave or have dermabrasion.It makes the discoloration and scarring much worse.It's good to talk and help other persons with the knowledge that I didn't have.
My lifesaver was electrolysis-it literally allowed me to hold up my head.I think laser may help some people.Just be sure that you have a really well-qualified person.I still have some dark marks on my chin and I still wear makeup whenever I go out.But I'm confident in my other positive qualities.
Honestly,I know how this affects self-esteem and I always felt that people only saw my flaws.It can be hard as a woman. But I've tried to be grateful for the improvement and the "wonder of makeup".Lol.It's not vanity-We're only human.But we all have the courage to work at it and try to be our best and not be ashamed of our appearance.So don't give up and keep loving yourselves.
anyways i know im a white girl an all, but i have pcod, for over 10 years, i use nair, i shave my legs, i would love to get a full body wax, i have alot of extra hair growth on my lower back, lots of hair on my arms, i get alot of hair near my side burns and under my chin,

but i was listeneing to the hyperpigmentation problem, theres a new conceler that kat von  d put out to cover tattoos, that i think would cover everything great, try not to shave unless you you like stuble, and then putting make up on it doesnt work, there is however lazer hair removal now too as an option
I am 31 yrs old and I have PCOS. My skin use to be beautiful and unblemished. Now I have hirsutism, acne and ingrown hairs. I have acne scars on my chin, cheeks, chest and the list continues. It is from hyperpigmentation. I indulged in a PCOS research study. I hope that they find a cure soon. I feel so frustrated b/c my weight use to be 130-140lbs. Now my weight is 247lbs. The sad thing is that I do not eat excessively. I gained my weight from PCOS and from uterine fibroids. I had 3 surgeries to remove my fibroids. Yes, three! I can have my period for months at a time. I am so frustrated! I stay positive and I hope that things will get better. I will seee my endocrinologist again and see what the next test will be. Good luck, ladies.
To the women here just to let you all know,

A lot of men don't mind some hair, such as myself.  
I'm a decent looking, Caucasian, financially comfortable man.
It's sad to me to see some of you so down about something so trivial.....extra hair!!!
Seems like it could be something MUCH worse than a cosmetic thing.
Out culture is so f*&%ed up regarding a womens natural beauty...inside and out!!

I'm in a wonderful relationship (3yr) with a beautiful  African American woman. She 25yo, model beautiful to me, petite and thin and slightly muscular. She has not been diagnosed with anything.

She has a lot of extra hair around her pubic area, a lot running up her belly and on her rear end. None on her chest. She has some face hair and a lot on her chin and has to shave. She is so obsessed with her extra hair!!!

It makes me sad to see try to her pluck all her chin hair.
I love her just how she is and don't really care as much as she does about her extra hair. I told her I'd help pay for lazer treatment for her chin because it's the worst to her.
It's all just fine with me....I just love her!!!

I prefer natural looking women however their variations......you're all beautiful. Just find a man like me, I know there is a lot of us out there.

Jeff

That was very well put.  I admire you for that but when you're single and you are woman with this problem, that is easier said then done.  She lucked up and found you and I am sure there are men out there like you.  But this is something that we struggle with that has affected our self-esteem.  I appreciate this post though because it does give me something to look forward to hearing thoughts on this situation from a male's perspectives....

I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS and my testosterone levels are normal.  However, I do struggle with excess hair.  I hate it, it's the worst, but this blog has been very helpful, and informative.  There are many things that I haven't tried.  I am going to work on checking into some of things.  Thanks ladies for all of this valuable information and I wish all of you the best.  Like Jeff said, you are alll beautiful no matter what.  Remember that!!!!
I'm new to this forum... never diagnosed with PCOS when I had health insurance, but had and still have many of the symptoms. Therefore,I'm just wondering what kind of success people have seen with the use of saw palmetto as far as hair growth reduction. I'm trying the spearmint tea, but don't think it's working... I've been waxing (it began with my upper lip, then my neck, followed by sideburns, and now even my cheeks) for close to 10 years now.
Boy oh boy am i glad to have discovered this blog! I have read through everyones posts and many i can relate to. Im a black woman from london so its reassuring to know im not alone. Ive been living with PCOS since i was 18 after my periods disappeard(my parents thought i was pregnant loool) and i was putting on weight, suffering from hair loss and growing hair on my upper lip and from my side burns to around my jaw line. At the time my doctor said it was down to my weight and didnt really offer any solutions. A few years later at 23 after hair started growing down my neck i got soo fraustrated and decided to tackle my problem instead of accepting it. My new doctor confirmed after test that i definatly had PCOS and put me on medication to help with the loss of periods, thyroid problems and weight gain...so far so gud ive been taking the medication since December. My menstrual cycle has returned (woohoo), im stil battling with the weightloss :( . I was not put on any medication for the excessive hair as my doctor wants to see if it will lessen as i loose the weight. PCOS  effected my confidence big time too, im getting more breakouts on my face causing me to wear more concealer and foundation to hide the scarring when the spots heal and dark skin and stuble from shaving  so now i hate talking up close to people as im paranoid that they'l see my stubbly chin or when im in a relationship i hate it when guys kiss my neck or get any where near my jaw line (sounds funny i knw) I totally freak out which definatly kills the mood lol...does any one else have that problem? also with the PCOS I found the hair on my head is thining, its a lot less thicker than it was :(.....There are soo many upsetting factors of pcos  for me like the unwanted hair growth/loss, the horrid scars left by ingrowing hairs and spots and the excessive weight gain...BUT with God on our side we will not let PCOS decide how we live our lives or hold us back! I just pray for more awareness and research into PCOS so it can be more easily treated and not so expensive like the laser treatments and Vaniqa! even though  here in the UK we have the NHS im still battling my doctor to prescribe me Vaniqa!...before i end, let me just share with you somthing thats helping fight the ingrowing hairs 'SKIN DOCTORS INGROW GO' formula is a Godsend its really helping me right now with the bumps after shaving. Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of the darker skin that occurs from shaving?..
PCOS will nt rule my life, its taken too much of my confidence away..time to reclaim it!
We are beautiful people inside and out pcos or not.
i am a white female who struggles with this. i have delt with it since i was 14... the hair started growing on my neck pretty bad. i remember my friend laughing and asking why i had hair on my neck... i am 19 about to be 20, and the hair has progressively worsened. it is now my whole neck, my cheeks, side burns, chin, upper and lower lip, chest, shoulders, lower back, and other areas..... it is SO bad. and i notice it gets worse every year. i have to pluck every single day, because it grows back literally over night. it takes me over an hour. no exaggeration here ladies. the ingrown hairs are disgusting. this has destroyed my self esteem, along with other problems i deal with. i feel like a monster. i hate knowing that i am a woman dealing with these problems... i have more hair then alot of men even do... and i am the girly girl type, this is just so frustrating. not a day goes by that i dont get furious and cry about this. i dont even wear my hair up anymore, because i dont want it to be more obvious for people to stare at. i've even become paranoid of going outside in daylight, or bright lights... because i dont want people to notice it. i cant wear low cut shirts. i dont even let me boyfriend touch my neck face or chest.... it hurts me so bad. i have tried vaniqa, never did a thing for me. i dont have insurance so i cant go to a docter to get help for this. im pretty broke and i cant find a job. i seem to let the frustration and anger of this get to me, to where i am mean to even my loved ones... my sister finds it funny that i have hair... and i am wondering why i was the unlucky one out of the bunch. i feel cursed!!!!!! i wish i could rip my skin off... i never did research on this because even the thought of it gets to me so upset. but with it getting worse, i decided i cant deal with this much longer. i have to find a way for this to go away.... or atleast ease up.... even if 5% of the hair was gone it would be such a huge relief... i want to be able to have a kid.... i dont know what more to do with my being.  
I really want to thank each and everyone of you for sharing. I am new to this site but immediately, I felt right at home. I too am an African American woman who suffers from hirsutism. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 8 or 9 years ago but the gynecologist told me that I she made a mistake in that diagnosis because of a misread from my lab test. At the time I was relieved but still confused because I still considered myself a freak. (Because of the hair growth and irregular cycles) Now, I'm 30 and, truthfully, totally devastated and feel like a test animal. I have been given countless different birth control pills, the birth control patch, creams, vitamins, procedures, advice and even an IUD. And as you probably can tell, have had no success. I've even noticed that my hair is thinning in the crown of my head...(I'm sorry, but I need a moment to collect myself...brb)
Alright, I'm back! That didn't take as long as normal! Where was I? Oh yeah...
Long story short,  I too am struggling with this disease. I've done quite a bit of research  on hirsutism and wanted to share what has given me some relief. First, drinking spearmint tea does help. Some studies have shown that regular consumption of spearmint tea helps to decrease androgen levels (male hormones) in patients. Secondly, health eating is something to consider. Hirsutism can be triggered and fed by obesity and improper eating. Carbs, sugars, and starches, are foods that can increase insulin levels, thus producing more hair. So watch what you eat and exercise. And finally, for the makeup users, the secret to hiding the five o'clock shadow is red lipstick or cream blush. I'll put the steps below. Hope it helps! Again, thank you ladies for telling your stories! I encourage you to continue to share because, by your testimony, you're helping others to overcome ! Be Blessed to all you beautiful ladies!!!

"5 O'clock Camouflage"
1. Prep skin - wash, moisturize, hair removal
2. Apply foundation primer (makes skin smoother) - I use Smashbox ($$$) or Monistat Chaffing Gel($)
3. Apply red lipstick or red cream blush to 5 o'clock areas - blend color with fingers or brush
4. Apply concealer to area - if you use a perfect matched concealer you may not have to use foundation
5. (Optional) For more coverage or to make sure makeup matches, apply foundation to whole face and buff out
6. Apply setting powder or pressed powder to set concealer and foundation, if used -
I use CoverGirl's mineral foundation powder
7. Apply the rest of your makeup
I've found this way to look more natural and fresh. If there are any questions, please let me know. GOD bless!
PLEASE READ THE SOLUTION TO PERMANT HAIR REMOVAL !!!!
Hi ladies,
Im crying right now reading your post, I really feel as though we all have a unique bond (almost like sisters). However, sista's i must advise i will not let pcos murder myself esteem or yours. I spent hours on the internet researching hirustism from pcos. After speaking w/ endocronolgist, dermatologist and electroligsist I think I have found the solution to permanent hair removal...... Drum Roll Hormone therapy you know the metformin, spiratocalone, and bc pills will regulate the hormones and decrease and regulate testrone dht and androgen levels ( high level or testrone cause hirusitism).  Keep in mind that every velis hair ( the blonde hairs and light brown thin hairs all over our body) can turn dark and course when the testorone level are high( with pcos this alwya s the case) appearing in male like patterns. Hormone therapy, will disable velis hairs from turning into dark coarse hairs, however hormone therapy will not stop the growth of already established dark coarse hairs. NEXT see an electroligist that does the Galvanic method which is most effect on dark coarse hair( the Galvanic method uses a needle that inject sodium hydroxide and h2o). The galvanic method electrolgy will kill the established hair follice. Its takes atleast 7 session @least for the follicle to be disabled permenatly ( due hair follices having non active growth periods and atleast 3 diff growth stages). However w/ out hormone therapy the treated hair follical can be removed from electrology and will not come back, but other velvis hair can turn into terminal hair ( dark coarse) hair if hormone therapy is stoped. Essentially w/ out hormone therapy you may keey one folloce but right next treated follice that has been killed another velvis hair can turn in coarse, which leads people to believe the method has not worked. It is both methods together that will permantly stop hair growth. Unlike laser hair removal the process will take longer but the results will be permanent. I will start hormone therapy and electrology next week. I have to force myself to stop plucking ( it will be hard lol). Electrolgy session are around 40-80 dollars per hour, my chin and side burn were estimated to take to hours. I am a fair skined African american woman so the tweezing did cause really bad hyperpigmentation, so after electrolygy my next plan is to have a cosmetic procedure to even out my complextion. As of right now for my complexion I use lemon soap on my face, retinol A ( presribed my my dermatologist which prevents ance and ingrown hair bumps) and lighting cream on the affected area's. Trust me it makes a difference. This is my plan, I pray that it works. I will give updates hopefully this will solve one of the problem that pcos throws @ us. Dont give up ladies! We are survivors !!!!! lol
excuse my mispelling,,, sorry
Wow...I am glad I found this site!!!  Thank God!!!  I have a beard, a mustache, hairy chest, stomach, etc.  The only parts of my body with out hair are my back, palms and the soles of my feet.  I too was diagnosed with PCOS, of course the doctors don't offer any help.  I tried Vaniqua, but I stopped.  See, I want the problem gone...I don't want to put a band-aid on it.  I have to shave everyday or walk around with a beard.  My mustache is starting to connect and make a goatee.  I told my friends I was going to go to the barber and get it lined up...lol, they did not like that.  I figure if men can walk around looking, acting, and dressing as women then why can't I wear my beard.  Anyway....all my hairy ladies, stay strong.  This blog has made my day.  I be back soon and God Bless.  
Hello Ladies,

I am 30, and I have had this problem since I was 13. Well, at least thats when it started. But at the age of  25 I  paid $75 a month for laser hair removel (removal) treatments for about two years.  I use to have a lot of course hair on my stomache, but now I only get strays every once in a while. I only have to get my chin, cheeks, upper lip, and sometimes neck treated once every three months. But that is the only area I have to get treated now.  I still remember the sting of the laser around my nipples and between my breast. But that was when laser hair removel (removal) first came out.  I cried for days. Because I thought it was unfair that I have to even go through this.  The good new is there are better laser treatments now then back then. Hair doesn't grow between my breast any more.  And I have to still pluck a stray hair from around my nipples every blue moon.  I know that laser hair removel (removal) can be pricey.  And its not fair that they say its permant when its not.  But I felt like a freak through my teen years. And my young adult years I had so much shame. I stumbled upon this blog.  I remember going through what a lot of you ladies are talking about.  But that was a long time ago.  I have live five years without having a beard. hair   I just wanted to let you sisters know what I did.

Be Blessed
wow when i first got a period it was regluar around the age of  15 had one every three months i wasnt having sex so i wasnt worried but at 18 had one a  ayear and 23 and 24 none so i went to gyn got on birth control pills first month on had one but me and my husband would like to have a child so what else can i do besides birthcontrol to have a period plus i gained like 50lbs and mostly around my stomach and am so hairy
Hello Ladies

Finding this forum was a blessing. I have been dealing with PCOS symptoms for years without treatment or diagnosis. I was just diagnosed a few months ago.
I am a 45 year old Black female. I also have a fibroid my GYN says is the size of a basketball...
To add to that, I am a small business owner who no longer has health insurance (ouch)

Over the past 6 years the amount of hair on my chin is unbelievable. It's very dark and it grows EVERY DAY. I was shaving until the razor bumps got out of control .
I remember my brother and all of the issues he had with razor bumps that Black men can have, so I thought I'd try some of the stuff he used.

I found a product at Walgreens and Sally's beauty supply called "Magic Razorless Cream Shave" it costs about $4.00 for a pretty large tube. Test a small amount first before you use it all over - but it actually improved the razor bump situation and made my skin smooth while removing the hair.  Using a cream allows me to "multi task" and do something else in the morning while I wait for it to work.

I have skin tags,dark patches on my face and neck,crazy weight around my mid section,fatigue,depression,hair loss,brittle nails,pelvic pain,numbness-tingling and pain in my feet and hands,high blood pressure,insulin resistance. My doctor just started me on medformin. 500 mg a day. I also take 50,000 IU of Vitamin D and 25mg of HTC for the high blood pressure. In 3 months, I have been to a Doctor or lab about 20 times.
My GYN says she doesn't understand how they didn't see PCOS immediately.
I will be having surgery to remove the fibroid soon also.

I had been describing horrible blood sugar episodes and I couldn't even get an appointment for a while to get it checked. When I called the doctor's office,describing all of the varied problems I was having the receptionist used her "discretion" to talk me out of coming in.
She said "my symptoms were all over the place" She made me feel like I was a hypochondriac. Finally I was given an appointment, but I am a bit disapointed because my Doctor seems to be a bit dismissive about the physical symptoms and did not want to address medical treatment for the hirsutism and hyperpigmentation.
She is a white female so I don't think she REALLY understands my desire to have my beautiful brown even skin tone back. My sister has Lupus and has run into insensitivity regarding her skin issues also.
My social life was zero, About 6 months ago, I started using Ambi and Artra on my skin and you can see a BIG difference in my skin. My neck has a long way to go and this is a LONG process, but it is cheap :)  I use it twice a day after washing my face well and cleaning my wkin with witch hazel. My mother says my skin looks like it used to when I was younger. Not quite.

I am about 40 pounds overweight and I was surprised when weight loss wasn't adressed BEFORE they found out I had PCOS. I heard another Black woman with PCOS say that since "accepted obesity" is a stereotype in our community it isn't addressed sometimes. I was already on a "diet" and had just purchased a gym memebership before I went to see the Doctor a few months ago. I didn't understand why it was so hard for me to lose the weight. I am on my way to purchase some books on a low GI diet. I have an appointment to see a dietician in a month - long waiting list.

I also started using Bare Minerals which has been great.
I just wanted to thank the ladies here of all sizes,shapes and colors for sharing.
Hi ladies,
I am a 28 yr old black female who also suffers from excess hair growth. My hormone levels are normal so I'm not sure what's up. I shaved my face daily and suffered from hyperpigmentation as a result. I contemplated laser but the dermatologist was not confident about the results I would receive.

Anyway, I started electrolysis on my face a few months ago and I just wanted to say that electrolysis is the way to go. It is a permanent solution and though it might be pricey and is at times painful, you will be hair free in 2 years tops. I say two years because for the first few months you need to go every week for 2-3 hours but then you only need to go every few weeks then every few months when new hairs appear. I am only at the beginning stages and I was sad to shell out $125-250/week on treatments but I am happy with the results.

I have experienced hyperpigmentation but this is temporary and I love being hairfree or almost hairfree! I can actually get up and go in the morning now. I have not had to shave in over a month.

So here is my advice:
* If you can not afford electrolysis (starts at ~$65/hour) at the moment, start saving now. It's no good to start and stop your treatments. You want to have enough money to continue until your done.
* While you are saving up money, use that time to educate yourself about the different types of electrolysis. There are three. You could even book consultations with electrologists so that you get a feel for what it will be like once you start the process. Most will do a small portion of hair for free during the consultation.
* Don't settle for the first electrologist you find. I recently started seeing a second electrologist and I am amazed at the difference between the two. You want someone with fast and steady hands so shop around!
* Take photos so that you can see the progress
* Join a discussion board and ask questions

Good luck, ladies and thanks for the discussion!
I am a 23 year old black female with hirsutism and depression because of hirsutism. My family doesnt understand me and I cry every week about this.

I hate going clothes shopping and I hate going out because of it. I have excess hair on my belly, my chest, my neck, my chin, my upperlip, and buttcrack...Its like I'm made of hair! (lol)

I want to do Laser but am terrified of it not working, or it scarring me, or electrolysis but that sounds so painful...

I'm glad I found this blog.
I have PCOS, I didn't start getting real hairy until I started to gain weight.  My voice even started to get deeper and the hair just keeps getting thicker.  I have waxed only to have a big red patch that lasts for days, and the hair has to get so long before you can even wax it.  I begged my husband to let me use part of our income tax check to get the lazor treatment done. I can't think of anything that would make me happier then to be able to not worry anymore about hiding the hair.  I feel cursed like the rest of you, I just don't understand why I am the only one in my family to have this.  Why not my sisters or mother?  Why are there so many fat women out there that don't have this hair issue?  To me it is a riddle that I will be trying to solve until the hair is gone.  I saw two other women today that have the same problem, I wanted to talk them about it but I figure they are like me and would prefer to think that no one else can see it.  I feel for everyone of you on here, I know the pain of wanting to be normal  and the fear you feel everyday as you go out in the world.  I pray someone out there finds a cure fast.  I find myself wanting to stay home and avoid people.  I hope I get the lazor treatment and it works.  I am so ready to be done with this thing that has plagued me for so many years.  Would love to hear a succuss story but I am sure if anyone finds a cure to this they will not be telling their secret on here....lol  
I am 29 years old living with PCOS. I am african american. I didnt start a period until I was 18 and then I thought it was just luck because I didnt have to deal with the tampons leaks and super thick pads in high school. Then went straight to college and was on BC so i never really noticed how crazy my periods are. If im not on fertility meds then i would have a period every 3 months or so and when it would come I would bleed sometimes up to 28 days straight not all heavy days but it was there! I am currently TTC my first baby and have been trying for 6 years now. 3 failed IUI's several failed clomid cycles. This is the 4th month on femera and metformin. Im trying to get up to 2000ml of it a day but for those of us taking this pill we all know what it does to your stomach and the frequent use of the toilet. I am overweight and like someone mentioned on this post its all in my mid section. I have small thighs and legs but plenty of belly fat and back phat that just wont go away!! As far as the hair thing I just recently started to notice more thinning in my hair in the mid section and I have the unwanted hair under my chin. I mean its not overwhelming at this time and I have been able to keep it under control using a eyebrow razor and coco butter helps keep the bumps away. My mom and her sister and my grandma all had the hair under the chin thing but all of them have a full head of hair and no issues at all in trying to concieve (conceive), The thing I hate the most about this pcos crap is that it sometimes makes me feel less than a women due to the fertility thing the hair issues and the weight issue. I am very girly as far as the way I act sit talk and carry myself but i just sometimes have these angry thoughts about my fertility, I hate it sometimes when my hubby tries to kiss my neck cause i think it should discuss him. I asked him about it before and he said women are there own worse critics and he said all women have some unwanted hair somewhere on there bodies. Then he asked me "do women really think us men  pay attention to your eyebrows? I would still be attracted to you if u didnt wax them cause I can never tell the diff unless u tell me u got them waxed" LOL!! Anyways he just says little things to try and lift my spirits and i love him for that and more. It tears me up mentally that I cant give him a little one caue I know how bad he wants one and daily he says "when we have kids...." God is awesome and I know he will make this happen for us. We have to remember that he made a promise to fullfill your every hearts desire and this will happen as long as we remain faithful and stand on his promise. So im standing on his promise and keeping the faith. Its hard to go thru every month saying i hope this is it and I feel pregnant just to see AF show her ugly face month after month. My bundle of joy is sooo close I can feel it!!! Good luck to all and inbox me anytime with any ?'s or if u just wanna be friends! Stay strong ladies! For this to shall pass
Hello My Sisters of Color,

I was diagnosed with PCOS March of this year... For years I was telling my doctor that something was wrong with me and the idiot would not listen...  I had hair on my chin... I was loosing my hair in the middle of my head and I had the worst period cramps known to man. All of this started at 25 (I am now 31). I had high cholesterol but I wasn’t really a horrible eater.

I also have hair on my toes. Try explaining that on a first date!
SO finally I left and went to an internist who then diagnosed me with PCOS. I then went to go see an OBGYN and got placed on YAZ. But the one thing that this doctor did and that the others did not do is encourage me to change my lifestyle. He told me not to depend on the birth control to change my situation but allow the medicine to assist the situation. "You are in control".

So the next thing I started to do was to pray and ask GOD for the strength to get through this. It has been a process but I am still working towards my goal.
I went from exercising 1 time a week to 4 times a week. I can run up to six miles and when I started at the beginning of this year, I could not even finish one.  I swim about twice a week and I also spin once a week and I lift weights on Mondays.
I changed my diet to eating all healthy organic fruits and vegetables. I even change my vitamins to organic!!... I started making my own shampoos and conditioners and stimulate hair growth and yes my hair is starting to grow back!!! Praise GOD...  

In the beginning if all of this I weighed 180 now I weigh 165 and I am still pushing. You can not let this disease or any other dictate to you what is going to happen. I will not give up... I will not give in... I will not let this defeat me... I can win...  I hope that my story encourages someone to keep the faith!
Wow that is amazing how u changed your lifelstyle so drastically. I went to the groecery store over the weekend and I kept telling myself on the way there think healthy think healthy lol! So I didnt do to bad I bout lots of veggies and some oraganic foods not nearly enough cause its so expensive! i told myself from now on i will try and buy all organic for myself because its an investment in my health and thats always worth every penny. Honestly I been sooooo down about this whole TTC thing and I just cant find the strength to get up and go excersise!! 6 miles is amazing I know I cant even run 1mile anymore lol! If this cycle does not work i plan on sitting out for a couple of months and really focusing on my weight loss. I mean I guess I really dont feel like 50 pounds is to much to loose and with motivation and dedication I know i can do it! Some women loose 100 plus pounds!! Also amazed that you make your own shampoo how do you do that? well thanks for adding me and for the message I really appreciate it
Girl all you have to do is reasearch the herbs based on what you are trying to do. And then get you a base... My base is Castille Soap. Some herbs that promote hair growth is Horsetail, Stinging Nettles and Burdock... You cook all the herbs and use the the juice... put it with the soap and then BAM!!!  There it is!!!.. It is easy!!!

I understand what you are saying about organic being expensive... it is funny how fast food is so cheap but the things that are healthy are so expensive. A shame!!!
I am 24years old Black Female.  I was just diagnosed with pcos. I didn't start my period until I was 16 but had been shaving since I was 12. I believe you can see a mustache in some of my baby pictures. Honest to god truth. I was always obese as a child, as a teenager, and it didn't matter whatever I felt was wrong with me doctors would say "just lose weight and that will fix it" Well I lost over 100 lbs with diet and exercise. Cut down starchy carbs and sugar.  I'm still chubby, but nothing like I was. My periods regulated with the weight loss.

My facial hair went from a mustache, side burns, and light patches on my chin at 290lbs, to Chewbaca at 180lbs. My cheeks have hair, it's a full connecting goat tee type thing and all kinds of thick patches under my chin. so sideburn hair  connects to the cheek hair, cheeks connect to the chin, chin connects to the stache. The hairs don't grow long, just thick and dark so it can't be waxed. I've tried an epilator that just left me with the worst dark scars ever, and the hairs grew back within 12 hours, and my skin scabbed over the hair so I wasn't winning any beauty pagents that day.

So I went back to the doctors, and looking at a much smaller me I was finally taken seriously. and diagnosed and given bc. Needless to say like my weight wasn't enough of a self esteem crusher, I just don't feel desirable. I don't want to be touched or seen, and relationships don't last because of it. I've only been on the pill for a month. I hope it will slow down the growth. I am currently looking into electrolysis. Doctors have told me that shaving isn't the best thing to do. I don't know how else they expect me to get rid of a full beard. Usually when looking this up online there are a bunch of posts from women posting about plucking "stray hairs" I'd kill for just a few stray hairs, or just a mustache, and no scars or sore pimples.

I see men with clear skin and I get jealous. It's interesting men will hit on me all the time, even when I was heavier. All I can think is don't they see that I have more hair than they do? I have hair on my fingers, and on my toes, I'm now getting hair on my chest. and of course arm and leg hair. crack hair is fun too. I have normal pubic hair, and oddly enough almost no underarm hair. I would trade my baby hair pits for a a clear face and buckwheat in a headlock any day.  I have to work super hard to loose weight, I'm still going at that. I can't even look at a donut without gaining pounds. I'm not trying to have children, but since my periods regulated on their own I'm hoping it won't be an issue for me.

Sometimes I wish doctors would look at symptoms as a cause of being overweight or obese instead of automatically assuming that a person is having symptoms because they are overweight. I want to tell you all that loosing weight will help and it's great, but don't expect it to cure. It may even worsen like mine did.
this is what worked for me:

1. vaniqua twice daily
2. Stop caffeine and sugar and refined carbs(sweets/biscuits/white bread etc)
3. Always combine carbs with protein... e.g. beans on gluten free bread
4. Stop gluten
5. Exercise 4-5 times a week
6. No alcohol
7. Organic meats
8. Reduce dairy products
9. Lots of fresh vegetables
10. Fresh fruit with nuts to reduce sugar load
11. Reduce stress in life
12. Maintain healthy weight
13. Wash face with natural products or just warm water and moisturize with fresh aloe vera off a plant

I have nearly cured myself with that!
I was diagnosed with PCOS around June in 2007..I'm 27 and believe I had PCOS way before I was diagnosed with it..at the age of 14 my cycles just stop and weight just appeared around my mid section from nowhere..like many of you I have hair under my neck and other places but the hair under my neck give's me the creeps..I shave it and because of this I get hair bumps not many but it still bothers me completely...when I was diagnosed with PCOS I was also diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and High Blood Pressure..over the last past two years and something odd months I was put on Metformin 1000mg 2x a day for Type 2 Diabetes and all different kinds of Blood Pressure meds to find which works with me..somewhere I switched my Primary Care Doctor she was a (witch) she only seen my weight..when I switched Primary Care Doctor in 2009 I also got a new OBG/YN in 2010.. very first appt with OBG/YN he listen to me he ordered tests he ask me what I wanted to do and before I left,he said he and his staff will do everything to get me pregnant...after all the fat phobic doctors that only seen weight here is this doctor that sees a patient who needs help..he put me on provera right away to get a regular cycle every month and 3 months later he gave me clomid 100mg days 5-9..I so far done 4 rounds of clomid two at 100 and two at 150 and I ovulated 3 times out of the 4 cycles, no pregnancies though..Just a couple of months ago he changed my Metformin from 1000mg 2x a day to Metformin ER 1500mg once a day with dinner..when I first started taking the Metformin in 2007 it made me go to the bathroom then about a month or two later my cycle started coming every month and in 2008 I had 9 periods that whole year I only missed 3 months where I didn't get my period but in March of 2008 I did get a period twice that month..and that was all with Metformin 1000mg 2x a day..around 2009 I felt like I had grown ammune (immune) to the Metformin I was taking I felt I needed a higher dose but my Primary Care Doctor felt that as long as my A1C level was below 7 I'd stay at the dose I was on..but that dose wasn't helping with my PCOS..so now I'm on Metformin ER 1500mg once a day and will be going to 2000mg a day once I get use to this dose...and I have been in a relationship with my b/f for 9 years and somthing odd months we both have no kids and he's 29..thanks for reading..
I meant immune..sorry for the typo's
DEAR LADIES , HI IM SABINA. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH PCOS AFTER I HAD MY EIGHT YR OLD. AFTER THAT I WENT TO MED SCHOOL , KNOW IM A DOCTOR . THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO TREAT PCOS-
1) NO MEAT -STRICT VEG DIET
2) FRUITS - CANTALOPES, AND WATERMELONS
3) VEGS- BROCCOLI, CABBAGE -THEY HAVE NATURAL ESTROGEN OF THEIR OWN THAT BLOCKS EXCESS ESTROGEN PRODUCTION IN OUR BODY PREVENTING EXCESSIVE ANDROGEN PRODUCTION(ANDRGEN IS CAUSING THE HAIR)
4) MEDS- USE METFORMIN 500 MG TWICE DAILY, ALDACTONE 25 MG ONCE A DAY AND USE BLACK COHOSH REVENTS PIGMENTATION AND USE A NON-ESTROGEN BIRTH CONTROL LIKE MICRONOR (NOW HAS GENERIC
5)EXERCISE AND LESS STRESS - TRUST NME THEY GO AWAY THE FAT , THE HAIR AND YOU HAVE REGULAR PERIODS
I want to say thank you all for your honesty and openness in dealing with PCOS. I have suffered from depression for year, because of this disease. I have had hair growth since I was around 11 or 12 and a full beard by the time i was 15 or 16. I have plucked, shaved, used depilatories and waxed. I even tried laser in 03 which left a little scarring on my neck area. I tried to make myself invisible and lied to myself about others not noticing it. It wasn't until this year that i really began wearing make-up everyday and I now understand the full benefits of concealer. Reading everyones stories let me know that I am not alone and their is hope for love and children and that I need to be proactive in dealing with hair growth. I am on metformin 1000mg daily...i hate taking it because of the side effects, but i am also a type II Diabetic. I am taking ortho tri cyclen. I am picking up my tube of vaniqa today. i have cut back on my carbs and increased my protein....though i still shave daily i have noticed not as much hair grows in a 24hr period, with that small change. my ingrown hairs and bumps are not as bad anymore. I am wondering if anyone are able to go without make-up? I really do hate piling make up onto my face....I don't want to just camouflage. Eventually I would like to wear very minimal make up as possible. Thank you all and have a blessed day
Hello im miss jazzy!

I am a 23 year old woman. I was just diagnosed with PCOS and I have been researching this disorder to become more familiar with all of the signs and symptoms. Just like all of you, I too suffer from stubborn excess facial hair. It began when I was still in high school but there were just a few strands. My periods have always been irregular from as far as I could remember. I wasn't diagnosed properly until I gained 30+ lbs in college. I pray that I will be able to have children and some of the website I have been visiting have reassured me that conception is not impossibe with PCOS. I will continue to keep you women in m prayers!

God Bless
Hello ladies, just from reading all of the posts I have learned alot from each of you. Like the rest of you I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 18. It started out with chin hairs and then long side burns to a full goatee which I have to shave every other day and if it is cold I shave everyday. I have tried lots of stuff on my face and from this I have darker skin. I find that when I use facial scrub, hot, barbosol and neutrogena razors (purple ones not pink ones that can be found at walmart) I have the best results. I have also used "Coochie Creme" which can be purchased at novelty stores and amazon.com. Coochie Creme make the hair thin and you dont get any bumps. I have come to terms with having PCOS and the idea of more than likely not ever being able to have children but to also have to deal with the facial hair, weight gain and the emotional rollercoaster on a day to day basis is another thing. I also recall seeing someone mention having high blood pressure, I am not a doctor but I will advise you to go see a doctor and get on some type of medication for it. Well I hope my little bit of insite helps!
Hey ladies,

Thank you all for your post. I'm so greatful to have found a group of women of color who have been experiencing some of the same things that I deal with as a result of PCOS.

I'm 22 and I've been diagnosed wilth PCOS since I was 16 although I have had all the symptoms since I hit puberty which was 13 or 14. I have pretty much every sypmtom you all have with the weight gain, insulin resitance, and facial hair.

The worst by far is the facial hair. I have very dark and course hair on my face. I've got sideburns that connect down to the chin and under the chin. My mustache wasn't ever as thich as the chin and sideburns but for some reason it's getting thicker now and I don't know what to do about it. I shave every few days beacuse it's been the most effective method so far. I mean i have ugly, itchy, bumps as a result of shaving but I've tried it all. Creams, waxing, plucking, and I just can't. So I shave.

I keep hearing about this Vaniqua cream. To those of you who have tried it. How effecitive is it and what have been the side effects?
I am glad for this forum now feel as though there is someone out here that can relate to what I am going through it's been a long time coming...I have had this problem for many years and I am just starting to do something about it...I just started Vaniqa over the last two days and want to see how this helps and I wanted to try the ALDACTONE generic SPIRONLACTONE but there are alot of side effect....does anyone get the dark spots or ring around the face? if so what do you do to remove it?
This forum have really been helpful.
Hi I am a Sista with hursutism. I have had it for too long. I was recently introduced to theatrical makeup. I want to die. People stare. It's so unattractive. I have always loved my face and my features. These days I hold my head at an angle or down. It's apparent that I am trying to hide it. Tomorrow I am going to the theatrical makeup shop. If I discover anything that conceals texture I will share with y'all. Tired of dealing with this crap. There are days I won't even go get groceries b/c ppl are out and about. So I just go during the wee hours of the morning.

Tearfully
I'm 25 and found out I had PCOS at 18. I too have a dark shadow under my chin . I feel so self conscious because once I went to the beach and because I ignored these guys they started to taunt me about it. I felt like crying, I have an appointment for laser removal friday but I'm wondering if I should go. I've finally gotten my acne under control I just wish I could fix this too. Thank u all for sharing I feel less alone now
I am actually crying after reading all your post
here is my witness
I have also too much hair on my belly and on my breast is it the worst
I did some tests 6 years ago and I had a high level of testosterone but nothing so bad the doctor said to me and gave me a medicine Androcure
I took it during 4 months ,it was awful always nauseous, dizzy I stopped it
Then the situation got worse , hair on my chin, on my side and I started plucking (bad idea now i have to do it very carefully if I don't want to get black heads)
And i've got an hyper-pigmentation where I am doing that so if I have one advice try not to touch your hair on the face even if it is really embarrassing
I keep on with my story, three months ago I had my first laser hair removal with laser YAG it was painful but not that much because I was so happy
Now I am using Vaniqa for my face and I am thinking about going to the doctor to find what is wrong with me after reading all your posts I am not ashamed anymore ,I want to fight back this hisurtism which is running my life ,I am never wearing bikini, I do not have any boyfriend I was freaking out about anyone knowing that I have got this problem
I will let you know when I will see the doctor what he gave me and how it works.
Bless you sistas and you know what I had one my aunt, when I was crying my mum used to tell me you've got nothing she was worst with bread and hair everywhere even worst than a man and now after the laser hair and the medicine she is fine!!!!
Don't be depressed even if it is hard , I know this feeling u feel so bad like you're not a woman anymore ,u even hate yourself sometimes but we have to fight it back and WE WILL!!!!!
Hello I can relate to all the comments, I to was ashamed of my face neck and chin area mostly, my friend gave me a number of a  doctor who dealt with african american skin... Dermatologist who specializes in African American skin, I did the laser once a month for 5 months, it stop all the hair growth and for the pigmentation on my skin it also help remove that along with his cream he makes himself…he did tell me that all dermatologist are not familiar with African American skin, you have to find a doctor who knows and understands what you’re dealing with…all I can say “ I saw results 4 days after my 1st treatment. my skin has cleared up Good luck
Hello Ladies,
I am in tears right now and my heart is soo heavy! I didnt think their were other women with the same issues i have with my skin. I am a 28 year old african american woman. I have had facial hair since middle school. It started off as 1 strand on my chin and as I got older it grew more and thicker and spreaded to my face, chin, kneck, chest, breast, stomach, inner thighs. It is soooo embarrasing! I spend soo much money on over the counter products, ordering products online, and makeup to cover up the dark spots ive caused from plucking and shaving. Everyone tells me im pretty all the time, but if they only knew i dont feel that way and if they could see me without makeup Im sure they would think differently. My self esteem is very low and i am depressed. This horrible, embarrassing disease effects my daily life and personal relationships. When im intimate with a man I make sure that all lights are off and I have shaved every hairy part of my body afraid that he will see the dark spots or feel the stuble. I recently decided to see a dermatologist. My derm sent me to an endoncronoligst(spelling) and she placed me on hormone pills. She advised me the pills wont completely stop the hair, but will decrease it. I do not have PCOS, but I have very high testostorone levels. Im just praying that the pills work because I also saved up a few thousands to have laser treatment. I also have damaged my skin sooo badly so even when the hair is decreased or gone....im left with my spotty skin. If anyone has any other suggestions that have worked for them plleasse let me know! I will also keep you all posted on the hormone pills! Take care everyone and God Bless you!

PS lele1287..what is your doctors name and where are they located? Im willing to travel!!
Hi everyone,

I'm 26 years old and middle eastern/ Indian. I was never diagnosed with PCOS but have always had extra hair. From primary school I was teased for having side burns and started bleaching it, making myself look a lion! It progressively got worse and University was the boiling point. I was so self conscious of the hair that speaking to friends and being in sunlight was a nightmare. Not even my closest female friends knew. I started shaving and thus began the worse thing I could do. From having only hair on my side burns it spread up to my cheeks, down my neck and on my chin. I then started plucking my chest hair and shaving the hair on my lower back. It seems that the more I shaved, the more hair got activated and more hair grew.

I am less than a hundred pounds, have normal hormone levels and have been told it's genetic and hereditary and that I have over active hair follicles. But I am hirsute. That almost leads me nowhere. The funny thing is that women on both my mom and dads side are almost hairless! My mom has no hair on her body or face.

I started laser 6 years ago but because I travel and work frequently in 3rd world countries, I didn't always have access to laser treatments. Maybe that's why it hasn't really worked for me. My chin and neck on my face is the worse and I shave sometimes twice a day. I permanently have 5 o clock shadow.  It is absolutely frustrating. I would love to wear a low cut top or backless dress but would never dare. The scars left behind are awful. When I think that as a women I have to pluck the hair of my breasts I just cry. I have had many intimate relationships but it's always carefulIy planned. I have done a lot of research and I think the best would be to go on medication (even if I have to force a doctor to give me a prescription). Birth control pills (Dianne 35 is recommended) and anti androgens.

I hope that whatever each women is going through that they can find some way to find peace. It's not about what it looks like to other people, but it's about what we see when we look in the mirror.

I just discovered this forum today. I am a black woman and was diagnosed with PCOS probably 4 or 5 years ago. My symptoms are acne, heavy periods, painful cramps, problems conceiving, and until recently excessive hair growth on chin. I tried laser treatment in May of 2011. It removed the hair, for around 6 weeks. I noticed that when the hair grew back, it was thinner, but more hair grew back. The hair is thin, but black and noticeable. I went back for another treatment in July(hopeful that the second treatment would be better), again the hair removal lasted around 6 weeks.

I noticed that upon hair regrowth, hair is still thinner, but I am actually growing more hair towards my neck. The hairs isn't thick, but it is noticeable. The doctor said that this could be due to him using a lower level on the laser machine , which can stimulate hair growth.  Has anyone experienced this? I am not going back for more treatments. They are too expensive($500-600) and for that price I would like to see only positive results. I am going to try a gluten and sugar free diet, exercise and meditation( to relieve stress). Hoepfully this will help with not only my excessive hair probloem, but my acne and infertility.

It is so comforting to share my story with individuals who understand. Will update my story. Thanks!
Hi ladies, I know what you guys go thru. Im 33 and although I have not been diagnosed with pcos I suffer from unwanted hairs around my chin n neck. Im self concious about it and make it difficult for me to date. Ive tried electrolysis twice but its expensive so I continue to pluck n shave which is not good but such a bad habit. My gyno n pcp discuss weight loss which will help with my high blood.pressure and the unwanted hair, easy said than done. I will try hard. Im in the atlanta area so if you guys know some im the area pls let me know. Thanks ladies.
Thanks ladies I have pcos too. Doing some research on the syndrome b/c I just found out I had it I also have facial hair and everything you all opened up about will help me so so much..the first thing I told my doc was it has to b me but now u see its not just me ...thank u so much I see its been years but as you also can see that it still matter so much -thanks:)
Hi I dont have PCOS but I do suffer from hyperpigmentation. I have recently found a product online at blackskin.com its called intensive fade gel. Let me tell you I have tried almost every product on the market and this is the first that has shown progress as early as three days. This product is specifically designed for African Americans. Please take a look! Hope this is helpful!!
This post and the comments have helped me TREMENDOUSLY!! Like a lot of you I felt alone, and no matter how beautiful my friends and fam say I am I never felt it. I still don't even after dabbling in modeling for a little while. I felt crazy because I was the one model that had to be plastered with concealer before applying make-up. I mastered the art of posing at certain angles to conceal the hyper-pigmentation. It really can be heart breaking. I'm soooo happy to know that I'm not the only one. I've recently discovered a medi-spa in Miami, that I'm considering going to, they offer Cool Glide, and its supposed to be good for darker skinned women. Wish me luck! =]
Hi Ladies,

I believe that PCOS is completely curable by lifestyle changes.  I am a 30 year old Black woman and have experienced the unwanted facial hair, dark neck, underarms and thighs, skin tags, large midsection, back fat, slim legs and thighs is comparison to the rest of my body.  It really is a difficult thing.

The thing is that I was always very athletic.  I played in organized sports from a very young age all the way into college in which I believe, kept the symptoms from worsening.  I was always jealous of feminine shaped women, because I always seemed to be shaped like a coke can instead of a coke bottle after exercising day and night!!!!  I went on all types of diets too--- low calorie, low fat, not eating after 5pm. You name it and I tried it and NOTHING worked.

I learned about PCOS reading a magazine and that began my search.  I went to doctors who either dismissed my claims, gave crazy suggestions, or didn't have a clue.  I then decided to "doctor" myself and seek out remedies for this thing.  Meanwhile, I prayed to God for direction on this issue,because the women in my family have never experienced anything like what I was going through.  God  is so good, because He led me to many resources.

This is what worked for me:
- Most instances of PCOS are linked DIRECTLY to diet.
- Realizing that the typical American diet is truly not for me (white flour, white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, preservatives, all fast foods, all sugary beverages and junk foods).
- I had to treat my body like a rose garden and decide if everything I put in my mouth was natural and God given, did not have the above listed items and didn't contain any name on its packaging that I could pronounce.
- Took basic vitamins, drank loads of water and herbal teas.
- I prepared most of my foods, and looked up the most suitable food choices at common restaurants I frequented (usually I stick to lean baked or broiled protein such as fish, chicken, beef w/o any breading or sauces, a plain small baked potato, steamed vegetables, a salad, or a clear broth-based soup).
- MILD, fun exercise. Walking briskly and dancing or step aerobics(when I craved some higher intensity).

Ladies I underwent the most dramatic change in only 4 months (crying happy tears)!!!  I went to visit my sister and she walked right past me because I was unrecognizable.  I lost about 40-50 pounds, my shape became womanly, my skin evened up in tone, the hair basically disappeared, feeling shaky for food disappeared,etc.  I was a NEW woman.  All of this occured without medication.  This change is available to all of us, but it is difficult due to the fact that we are conditioned to believe that the way we eat is normal and in some of us this will develop into PCOS problems.   You will definitely have to be disciplined and stick with it, but I feel better emotionally, mentally and physically.  You've basically tried everything else, so you might as well give this a try.  God bless all of us!!!
God bless you for your comment. I have not been diagnosed by a Dr. but I took a self-diagnose test on the internet and found that I too have pcos. My high school boyfriend discovered my first hair when I was in 10th grade so I was like 15. As the years went on and I gain more weight, the hair got worse. I'm 29 now and just fed up! I never heard of pcos before until I went to visit a electrolysis who insisted that I have this condition due to the texture of my hair. She told me to confirm with a Dr. but from her years of practice, she knows that I have this condition. I want children and it has been hard for me to conceive but I know God will bless me with children because that is His promise to me but I know He wants me healthy. I've only been pregnant once in my life after trying for 3yrs straight with my ex-husband. I lost my son in that pregnancy though. But now I'm married again and I'm trying again for a child but things have gotten real crazy with my body. Hormones out of wack, abnormal periods, I gain 50lbs in like 3-4 months. This is what really set off the alarms for me. I have gained weight throughout the years but never like this. I'm so glad I found this post! It has help me a lot and your testimony has helped me out a lot. I will try the things you have tried and pray to God that He gives me the same results as you. Please pray for me!!
I am so glad I found this forum. I am 25 and was diagnosed with PCOS last year. I had been experiencing the crazy hair growth on my neck, chin, and jawline. Everytime I try to remove it, even shaving, it leave little black marks on my skin. And it seems like the skin is getting thicker in that area. My mood swings were just awful. And anxiety over nothing. Then there were the missing periods. I could go up to 6 months without a period. My mother recommended vitex to me and it took about 4 months before I noticed a difference, but my periods came back to normal and my moods improved quite a bit. On my last appointment to see my Doctor, she put me on birth control and told me to stop taking the vitex because it wasn't aporved by the FDA. I went against my better judgement and started taking sprintec. I gained 25 pounds in 3 months. my eating habits have not changed. I know it was the pill. I feel so bloated and miserable. I stopped taking it in the middle of the pack and went right back to vitex.

I know that most of my problems are because of my eating habits and my weight. I have done so much research on this, that at the end of the day I really just have to lose weight because I'm tired of hiding because of this excess hairgrowth and not allowing my husband to kiss me on my cheek or neck.

This is a very difficult and emotional thing to deal with and I'm sorry that you all have to go through this too, but it is nice to know there is someone to relate to because none of my friends or family are familiar with this.

I'm praying for you all and please pray for me too
Hello. I've been looking around on the internet trying to find out the term for having facial hair as a woman, but mainly if the cause for the facial hair can make it difficult to concieve (conceive). I have hair under my chin (thick, black trans) and it also grows on my inner thighs, lots on the back of my legs, my upper lip a little, I have little fine hairs on my breast, the same under my navel and I grow lots of hair on my booty. I am only 21and I'm tired of it.

I sometimes use a razor for the chin hair, but to shave everything else takes forever, so I don't even but razors anymore. I use Nair Hair Removal with baby oil, put it on, 4 minutes and wash the hair right off. Your shin is as smooth as a baby's bottom. The advantage to that also is the hair stays away longer. They also have Nair facial hair remover, but the hair on my chin grows back within 3 days.

My husband doesn't grow hair on his thighs, he gets a whisker once in a blue moon, basically I can say he has a full head of beautiful hair, nose hair, and hair on his lower legs THAT'S IT. He looks at me and gets jealous which is shameful. But to veer away from that, my biggest problem is weather this can be a problem in conceiving because the hormone and testosterone levels aren't balanced?
I'm A African American female and I don't know if I have pcos but I know I struggle with a lot of excess I guess hirtuism? I'm 20 & in college & since I was 10 I had hairy legs and arms. I even had sideburns. To this day I do not wear shorts or skirts because I would have to shave everyday. My freshman year of h.s is when I started noticing bumps on my neck. I thought it was acne untill I picked it & saw a thick curly strand of hair come. Every since then I've had these marks on my neck. I'm lightskin & I have these black marks on my neck which makes it worse cause its very noticable. I can admit it has lowered my confidence because I have hair everywhere on body. Chest. Back. Stomach. Thighs. Legs. Arms. Even on bottom (butt). I've never had a boyfriend because I'm I don't feel comfortable with my body. Its so sad especially when I really like a guy & he likes me back because I know i would be very uncomfortable showing skin & I would never let it get as far as a relationship because of my insecurities.
Hi anm1626 I have also had this problem for many years I am a 38 year old Black African American female as well mine started when I was 18 and I had these couple strands of hair and when I started my first job they gonna tell me I had to cut them and my golly I must have cut those couple strand of hairs and I swear it grew back a full face I was so mad (lol). However I have not been dignosed with the diease but I am going thru the same problem it is so embrassing as a female to have all this facial hair I once asked my mother was I born a male and you got me a sex change or something lol!!!!  I was just being curious about it. I am so glad to be on here reading other people posting that is going thru the same thing I'm going thru because I thought maybe I was the only one in the world to be going thru this problem. Some times I could control the dark spots but here lately I have not been able to I guess because I'm doing more stressing about than tryna to keep it down. I'm currently in a relationship and I swear sometimes my boyfriend be embrssed of me but it just be my insecurty because he will rub my face and kiss on it but he aint got to embrassed of me cause I'm embrassed of myself sometimes and sometimes I really don't care but lately I have been burning my face up using all kinds of products on my face to get rid of the dark spots.
I'm not sure if I have PCOS but I do have facial hair on my cheeks, chin, sparsely around nipples and on lower stomach. I use small scissors to cut down my hair. I get to the base and i cut. Plucking and shaving is very bad. I was diagnosed with a cist at 19 when i found out I was pregnant..I had an abortion...big regret now. So now I'm 35 with no children. I began to see hair on face about 22. I also have mild acne. So I'm not sure if i have PCOS or not. Anyway I wanted you guys to know I recently started laser. It is the absolute best thing I could have ever did! I love it!  Be sure your going to people that know how to use the laser..the correct laser the correct setting the correct hands. I dont care if you have to get a second job sweetheart this is soooo worth it. Mine is not very expensive though...I'm in Cleve Ohio at Dr Saffold office..his is 50$ every 2weeks. I've only had 2 sessions so far and its working already. I'm so damn happy its crazy. I get so sick of pulling that mirror out and cutting that hair. Good luck ladies
Hey, I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple of years ago, but have had symptoms for about 10 yrs. I also live in Cleveland and saw that you went to a Dr. here. If possible could you give me his first name so that I can look him up? I considered laser hair removal but wasn't sure. Thanks!
Good day ladies, I was born that way (according to my dad) so I just figured it was my normal. I started to notice the chin hairs after the birth of my third child at age 33 and I waxed my chin until it seemed waxing caused more hair so I cut the hairs with scissors. I started to research laser hair removal when I moved to Dallas TX and found The National Laser Hair Removal school that offer discounted sessions ($50) if you allow students to sit in and  ($75) for private session. I am light skinned so I'm praying all goes wells I start my first session on valentines day! I havent seen a dr about it yet but I have an appt this week and I hope to get his approval to move foward. It feels good to know I'm not alone. I hope I helped someone in our quest for hairless skin. Be blessed everybody.
hi everyone i only 23 and but i been noticed this for some years i never been diagnosed for pcos but i have been on depo provera for 7 months and i noticed an increase in the hairs i always tell my mom like ma i got a lot hairs growing on my chin the lower sides of my face and now i plucked and shaved. i cant stop rubbing them because they are so rough i even told my boyfriend because i'm sick of it. i been had them but on my chin  like only three hairs. now its too many to count i don't wanna be the old lady with a beard and mustache i'm very feminine and i'm girly so i hate it an i'm young its awful especially because you don't want the hairs so you pluck and don't want the freaking spots its like i dont know what to because i don't want anymore chemicals in me i think about not taking the shot but i'm not ready for kids. i even noticed a few darker colored hairs on my shoulders. help please
Hey there everyone
I'm glad i found this forum.
I'm 25, been diagnosed with PCOS about 12 years ago and have been suffering with hirsuitism for a long time. I'm of caucasian / aboriginal descent and have struggled for a while. I hope its ok i posted here - i'll share what's helped me.
I can definitely relate to all the feelings of not feeling attractive, poor self-esteem, feeling cursed etc.
We are not alone - i feel overwhelmed about my condition when i think about it but i try not to - even though its very upsetting.
I think that any women with hirsuitism can suffer feelings of insecurity and hopelessness but hopefully you can get help!

For a few years i was on spiralactone and metformin, i stopped taking spiralactone b/c i didn't want to be taking anti-androgens, but noticed that my hair growth increased on my face after not taking it for 12 months. I started taking it this december again but now i have ingrown hairs on my neck and face and i just feel so unattractive. I currently use a St. Ives facial scrub that helps remove dead skin cells and then this epicare stick to remove the hair.

Something that's really helped me is this technique that uses threading = called epicare - https://****.com/ - however, i've ordered the same stick on ebay from china for about $1 - it really helped remove alot of the hair - I use it daily and it takes the hair out of the root. I hope that this helps you too if you have excess hair on your face and neck.

I've felt helpless for a long time, i went to a few endocrinologists and they said ï've never seen this problem before. I'm going to try and get a new endocrinologist / dermataolgist. If anyone in Canada is struggling with this problem, please let me know and we can help each other. Alternatively if you are suffering and need some support, feel free to contact me.

Hi ladies,
This is so weird for me, I am only 20 years old and I have more health problems than my mom and all my grandmothers put together. I was diagnosed with PCOS march of 2012. It took me an entire year to find a doctor to listen to me about the changes that my body was going through. I was certain that I had Pcos before I was even diagnosed. I did daily research, to figure what was going on with my body and my prognosis was right, PCOS was the cause to my ever plummeting health. PCOS has controlled my life for a very long time. I isolate my self from society because of the mental, emotional and physical tole that it has taken over me. One of my biggest problems of many is definitely the hirsutism, I'm young I'm engaged to be married but its so scary to be so low when this is the hiighest Ive ever felt in my life. I'm with a man who understands me and loves me for me and I'm so afraid that I would just bring him down with me. If anyone has any encouraging words please get back to me. Thank you
I also am a african american women with PCOS,I have just started a page on face book for black women dealing with PCOS it is helping me deal with it because for awhile it was a secret,but I see more and more women now with many symptoms,we need to all be there for each other because ofcourse when we turn on the tv all we see is flawless women and it makes us feel worse,but then I remember that nobody is perfect and the women on tv and magazines have been airbrushed or can afford things we maybe can not.I just pray and keep my head up because we still have life and that is what matters at the end of the day..GOD still loves us
What's the name of your facebook page?
Black women with PCOS,makeup tips,hair tips and Q&A.. on facebook. I also want to start a private group for women to talk without everybody in our business and that is on facebook,just request me: Dimplezz Allday
I know how you feel,I was the same way when I first found out.I did everything to remove the hair and cover the area,shave with a razor,pluck,wax,hair removal cream and it looked worse.I started getting razor bumps and etc.I want to tell you what I have been using that is sensitive enough for women.I ordered this from QVC for $19.95 it's called ForeverFree and you can go online first and read all the comments below.I also have been using Dermablend to cover the shadow,and get the setting powder it will last all day,I am medium complexion so I use green color corrector on the dark areas before my concealer and makeup(Bare Minerals),it's sounds like alot but it is not heavy I hope this has helped,and remember you are beautiful and you are lucky to have a man to love you for you and not focus on the flaws like we do,we all have something to hide and you are not alone...GOD bless
Hey,you can try Forever Free from QVC for $19.95 to shave it is more sensitve for the skin and it works great,no razor bumps or anything..I hope this helps
I use Dermablend with the setting powder it last all day,also you can use a color corrector first.I have tried Smart Cover but I like Dermablend more because they have a wide range of colors..Good luck and GOD bless
I have been using ForeverFree from QVC for $19.95 it is great,I get no razor bumps at all and it takes all the hair away,go online and check it out.I also use Dermablend for the dark areas and the setting powder is great it will last you almost a year.I am medium complexion and I have to use a green color corrector on my darker areas first,the area is more red than dark and the concealer works great,then I mix my Bare Minerals in my face lotion until it is my color and apply it all over,everything blends perfect,it is not heavy and it last all day..I will keep you posted on more tips
Tried it and it worked at first but caused many in-grown hairs that i had to stop taking it. But it did slow down the hair growth.
Hi everyone. I am 18 years old and my first period was normal and then there after it wasnt regular. sometimes months would pass and I would see no signs of periods. also my neck is several shades darker and duller than all other parts of my body. at the time I realized all of this things I didnt know what to think I thought it was because I wasnt bathing properly. I never really went to the doctor but my twin sister which was having the exact same issues was experiencing discomfort a day and ended up visiting a doctor. she was diagnosed with PCOS and since we're twins and we're having the exact same symptoms I didnt bother to see the doctor!.

This PCOS thing is really getting to me. I have dull skin and a black neck I have a low self confidence and when people point out the discoloration it gets me more irritated! Im planning to see a gynaecologist next month and hoping to get some hope!

im PRAYING!
Hello, im andi. 16 years old.i find out that i was diagnosed with PCOS. The things that bothers me alot is the feeling that i weigh more and more every week. An endless acnes keep growing in my face. Hairs at my  stomache and darker underarmss and neck. Whatshould i do to heal this? Im really determined to overcomethis. What is the most advisable medicine for me to take?? Please do give me some advicea. It will really help me alot. Thank you. I will wait for your response. May God always guide and bless you. Ow. I forgot... is metformin good for my pcos?
Wow I feel so much better knowing that I'm not the only African American woman with PCOS! I am 27 years old and I was diagnosed about 2 years ago; it's been a nightmare with all this facial hair, body hair, weight gain, having a period every few momths and now having to deal with the hair on my head thinning and falling out and it has broken off extremely bad. Over the last year I have came up with different methods on how to cope with the PCOS: I take my required meds (metformin, birth control and now hair supplements) work out on a regular basis and use nair facial cream and a good concealer to cover my flaws and a wonderful boyfriend whom stills finds me attractive through it all. I currently have no kids but hoping to try for one next year. Has anyone been able to get pregnant while on metformin?
I think the only way to deal with this excessive hair thing is to die. I'll never have a relationship with a man because I'll never be able to let him get close because of the hair. I can't afford laser hair removal or electrolysis to help me. I've given up and want out. I can't live like this anymore.
i got so much support here. I also having the same problem. I am 19 this year and I have been diagnosed with PCOS since 17. It really discourages me when I found in the internet that PCOS is one of the reasons for infertility and hirsutism. I experienced hair fall when I was 17 and was so desperate (i'm so afraid I willl be bald). It finally recovered after a lot of medication and consultations. But after that, around 3-4 months, i reexperienced excessive hair fall. But finally, it gets better again. I also have lots of hair in my body, i.e. underarm, stomach, leg. I also have irregular periods. Is there any way to heal PCOS?
I read all of your threads and I relate.  While I don't have PCOS, I have hair on my face!  As a woman of color it is embarrassing.  Furthermore, the techniques I have used to get rid of the hair has caused ingrown hairs, hyper-pigmentation and scarring. To me the side effects are worse than the actual hair.  Right now I still pluck, however, I prep my skin, drink spearmint tea, moisturize well (despite the fact I have oily skin) and exfoliate daily!  

I have noticed a big change in the scarring, hyper pigmentation and hair regrowth.  For a total breakdown of products I have used and reviews, visit
http://www.mocha-makeup.com/2012/05/getting-rid-of-unwanted-facial-hair.html.  And feel free to contact me, because I have suffered greatly in my quest for hair free smooth skin.
I feel exactly the way you do about the side effects being worse. I pluck as well but I have recently noticed that it has made some of the finer hair on my chin darker than it was before. I've literally just started using hard wax (acai berry) a few days ago and I'm pleased so far. Although it can be VERY messy, it leaves my chin almost completely free of hair which dramatically reduces the amount of hairs I have to pluck.  

I have to say that finding this forum feels like a Godsend. For so long I have felt ahsamed, helpless, fed up but overall alone because I had absolutely no one to turn to for understanding or simply just to listen to me vent about my struggles with hirsutism.

I am glad to now be a part of this community and I am eager to begin regular correspondence with anyone who would like to exchange tips, tricks and other helpful information.
hello i am 27 i suffer from the same problem i started growing hair on my face at 21 bc i shaved before i shaved i had no hair on my face i notice hair on my stomach sometimes a few on my chest its so embarrasing its hard for me to have friendships c i feal they are talking about my facial hair so i with draw from people to hid my symptoms i donnt know why im so hairy but i have like 9 hair bumps under my chin and i have to weare makeup i have beautiful skin but thie makes me so insecure im goin to get laser hair removal next yr bc i cant take this anymore i just cant contine on with a happy life..i recently was diagnosed with bellspalsy idk what made this happen but i may have the same condtions as you all please respond back soon thanks Chrissy
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with these problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honeys it is so STRESSFUL and yall understand the pain (literally...pain!) I'm 21 and have been diagnosed with PCOS since age 17. It was around that time that the hirutism started kicking in. It's depressing because it gets in the way of a lot of things. I look at girls with smooth bellies and smooth legs and instantly become jealous. My stomach has a thick patch of hair leading downwards. I stopped taking my birth control for a few months and the hair spread like wildfire. I would shave and it'd grow back completely in 2 - 3 days. I get long hairs around the areola, my leg hairs are thick and so are the hairs on my thighs. I'm also getting some on my chin and chest. It's painful to know that I can't just have sex with my boyfriend whenever I want because I'm ashamed of my hairy body. Always I have to shave my entire body once a week. I've got tons of ugly dark spots from ingrown hairs and they're hideous. My boyfriend accepts me but doesn't understand or have much as much compassion as I had wished. It makes me feel ugly. He will not even kiss my tummy because its so rough, even after shaving.

So glad that I'm not alone with this embarrassing condition.
There is hope.  I am now 38 years old.  I was diagnosed with PCOS at 30, but I have had PCOS since I was 12.  I was told that it would be difficult for me to get pregnant, and it was.  But through prayer and faith, I had a beautiful baby girl at 36 years old.  I did not find out I was pregnant until I was at the END of my second trimester.  Know that difficult does not mean impossible.  My baby just turned 2 years old, last month and she is definitely my miracle baby.
I encourage you all to research Saw Palmetto and Licorice Root. They can help with the symptoms of PCOS and high testosterone levels. Testosterone turns into DHT which cause hair growth in unwanted places and hair loss on the crown of the head. Saw Palmetto helps to stop that. It can help with hormonal acne too.  The licorice root will help fertility if you want to conceive. I recently started the Saw Palmetto and my skin as improved tremendously. Please research it. PS I'm of the Jamaican decent.
I encourage you all to research Saw Palmetto and Licorice Root. They can help with the symptoms of PCOS and high testosterone levels. Testosterone turns into DHT which cause hair growth in unwanted places and hair loss on the crown of the head. Saw Palmetto helps to stop that. It can help with hormonal acne too.  The licorice root will help fertility if you want to conceive. I recently started the Saw Palmetto and my skin as improved tremendously. Please research it. PS I am of Jamaican decent
I am an African native, 29 years old. I suffer from excessive hair growth on my chin, abdomen and the worst I cant take is my breast. It has really affected me..socially psychologically as well. after my boyfriend walked out from our 5 almost 6 years relationship without explaining why, every time I look at my flat hairy breasts I tell myself "this" is the reason he couldnt stay. Its been four years now and I am too scared to be in a committed relationship, thinking that what man will ever tolerate "this".

So I live in Tanzania "where Mount Kilimanjaro is", there are no means or doctors for hirsutism,I have never heard of anyone talking about it...its as if its not there but a lot of women have it. I see women with hairy chests and chins...sometimes its beard on a woman. People bully us out here and say we bleach our skin so the hair is the outcome of the chemicals ( which I haven't) .  They have no idea how hard it is to live with this. they laugh and point fingers, that's the reason why I started to pluck which has led to ingrowing hairs and discoloration. So I rely on the internet hoping may be one day God will reveal to a person a total cure for this damaging situation. I feel really ugly and unattractive, and hopeless...thinking how I am going to have to live with this....

Roselyne (Tanzania)
Has anyone tried Maca root? It is a superfood that comes in powder or capsule form and it is whats called an "adaptogen" that adapts to your specific need in the area of your hormone production and regulates production for you. You have to take it over an extended period of time..a couple of weeks then take a few days off. I have started taking it in powder form (only a couple days ago)Its not very tasty but if it is blended (I started with a table spoon/day) with a banana, chocolate syrup and some almond milk it is tolerable.
Hi im also african american. I been dealing with irregular periods since i was 14. Got my period when in was 12. Got diagnois with pcos when i was 20. During that time i thought that it was okay for women to have irregular periods. My mom said that "your body is trying to regulate itself out". When i was 15 i went to the doctor and the doctors and nurses thought i was pregrant. Like what its okay to be pregrant for one in a half years!!!!!. Now im started to notice the hairs on my face. And my legs hair is just outrageous.
Hello.  I saw your post about the Saw Palmetto and I started taking it.  How long were you taking it before you noticed less hair?  thanks
Please consider becoming a vegan, possibly becoming a raw vegan and increasing your use of licorice and Inositol.  An excellent product to use is Chiral Balance.  I in no way work for this company but have suffered from all these symptoms since I was 15, still suffer from Hyperpigmentation but have greatly reduced many of my issues by eliminating meat from my diet, going mostly raw and taking Inositol based products.
Did it work?
Hello, I have PCOS also. I have been struggling with this since I was 18, I am 39 now. I was told I could not have children but I was on birth control just to keep the symptoms under control. Even though the doctors said I could not have children, while taking birth I conceived three children. I have a 19 years 13  years old and a 6 weeks old. I noticed that after each child my hair on my face, neck and chest increased. Sadly, I am withdrawn and afraid of people judging me because of it. I admit I pluck my hairs that grow on my chin, this has caused ugly black spots. I have tried several different products hoping to get some of my confidence back but have yet to find one that works. I can not afford laser treatments. If anyone knows of any Skin care products I am willing to try almost anything!
Thank you for sharing your story. I have suffered from PCOS for a long time not even knowing it. Did the Depovera shot help with the hair growth? Did you suffer any side effects when you used spironlactone?
Hi Coco,
My name is Nikki and I totally relate to your post.  You and I are the same age, and when I was reading it, it seemed as if I was reading about myself.  I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 18 and have suffered with hirsutism since I was 14.  My complexion has darkened so much over the years, and I do the very best I can with concealers and other products.  Due to health issues from this I have sought the help of an endocrinologist, who will hopefully assist in getting some things back on track for me.  I wish all of you ladies the best and will share anything that helps me.   Stay encouraged!  Coco thank you so much for sharing!