Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Any PCOS weight loss success stories?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Any PCOS weight loss success stories?

Hi, I am 23 years old and about 9 months ago I was told I have PCOS. I believe I have had it since I started having periods since I had many of the symptoms. The only symptom I never experienced (until recently) was weight gain. All growing up I was a very small child and throughout high school I was the same. My highest weight in high school was no more that 110lbs. I have never struggled with weight, until a few years ago. After I got married (and our eating habits only changed for the better) and shortly before marriage, I started putting on the pounds. Quickly! Within 5 months I had put on 30lbs then three months later 40 more! I couldn't believe my eyes. I never had this issue before! That's when I saw my OB, after being diagnosed I was told I needed to lose weight because thats what caused the PCOS, but I don't believe it, it just doesn't add up to me. Why the sudden weight gain? They lectured me and lectured me because I want to get pregnant and am obese now. All I have been told so far is I have to lose the weight, but I am exercising and eating right and I see nothing! I was put on Metformin 500mg 2X a day after being diagnosed and I have seen no change in weight or facial hair! I am frustrated because I hate the way I feel being this large. I guess my main question is are there ANY success stories out there of women losing weight with PCOS and taking metformin? I could really use some encouragement. I want so bad to start our family, but if I am this uncomfortable being my weight now, I fear how I will feel being pregnant.
Once I got of college and moved in with at the time boyfriend (now my husband) I slowly put on the weight too. Now that we are ttc and found out I have PCOS I have been struggling with the weight loss. So far in 8 months I have only been able to loss 30lbs. What really helped me was that I took out the high calorie foods and drinks ie: Starbucks and all pop. I will only drink pop when we go out to eat because I hate restaurant water (most places do not filter). Starbucks is a rare thing for me now I just can’t pass up the Pumpkin Spice thank goodness its only seasonal. Anyhow I eat the same food but very little portions. If you starve yourself with your favorite foods the diet won’t last. Plus I go walking no less than 3 times a week and about 3 miles or more. It can be hard to fit it in tight schedules. I hope this helps, its also great when husbands join in. It ***** to watch them loss weight faster so I feed my husband more food when I’m cooking dinner and me less. Ohh small plates really help to control portion sizes. It will be hard at first but look at it as a life changing thing and not a short term.

Good Luck
I lost alot of weight by going low glycemic.  Stay away from simple carbs, sugar, pop, potatoes, bread, pasta, candy.....the lists goes on and on.  And walk, walk, walk  Eat more natural....no margarine, artificial sweetners, no msg, hfcs
Thank You for your stories!
Hi Im sorry i dont have a success story buti gained weight and became obese all of a sudden as well and i dont know why. I had symptoms since I started my period too. And now that I think of it, I remember the year before I started, i gained lots of weight mysteriously because I was active all summer and hardly ate. Interesting.....
No carb diet helps!!!!
I think you can eat anything you want,
as long as you're only taking a small portion of it.
Much better if you can start changing your lifestyle.
Think of the things that you think can make you fatter.
If you're more of the sweets thingy, then try eating fruits instead of candies and unhealthy foods.
i have PCOS as well., and I have symptoms same as yours..
I know we can make it.
good luck!
I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago, but I think I have had it for much longer, I have always had the symptoms, but doctors don't pay much attention to diagnosing PCOS. I have also had the same issue, I gain weight very quickly but have a difficult time getting any of it off. I am definitely at my heaviest right now and hate the way I look and feel, but no matter how hard I try the weight wont come off.
I know how you feel!! I too am at my heaviest and I also HATE the way I look and feel. I have been trying to concieve (conceive) so I know this doesn't help! I am glad we can relate and encourage each other. Good Luck!!
all i can say is try to lose a little weight say a baby makes you gain 15 to 20 lbs lose that for now so you can get pregnant and you will gain that weight by having the baby in you then that way you really dont get ny bigger then after you have the baby try to lose the weight aint no point on losing weight then get prenant and get it all the weight just lose enough that the baby might need go to the doctor tell him you want clomid and a pill that make you start your period then you take clomid but first buy a fertiliy monitor with the sticks not the cheap on it a clear blue nomarlly cost 240 dollars go on ebay and buy one cheap i sold one for 50 dollars but anyways after taking the clomid check your self with the monitor as soon as you see that egg on the screen that is baby get to busy you can shed the pounds fast but u have to stick to it my quick diet cheerios breakfast fruits snack diet tv dinners lunch and dinner no sweets erercise with nintendo wii or what ever hope that help far as for the baby thats how i got pregnant  
If I were you I would go to see a different OB.. I was put on Metformin and that really helped me to loose weight but I am on 1000mg 2x per day .. I lost about 20 pounds recently and I did it by going to a crossfit class.  It was awesome.  I suggest doing cardio and weights together ... that helps to loose the weight.
i only recently heard about pcos after i started going out with my girlfriend. i have done heaps of research on it and spoken with her about it. the doctors all seem to have such a negative outlook on it, telling sufferers that little can be done to manage the symptoms. However, i refuse to sit back and see my girlfriend be misreable. I am currently devising a healthy eating plan coupled with a exercise regime that i believe will help her. She has every single symptom of pcos, but i believe that if she eats clean (i.e limited simple carbs, sugars, fats etc.) and exercises regularly she can lose the weight which in turn will lessen the other symptoms.Dont lose faith and never take a doctors diagnosis as gospel, we are all human and we all get things wrong time to time. Pump us up with drugs and keep us in the dark is what seems to be happening alot in this world. It is my firm belief that nature has a cure for everything! I will post again on this forum with results in a few months...
I was diagnosed with Pecos in September of this year and put on met form in and my Dr also put me on a no white sugar no white flour diet and no processed foods...eat as natural as possible...so far in only a month I've lost about 15 - 20 pounds.  Good luck.
I have the same problem. Pcos and gained weight. I was diagnosed with pcos 5 years ago. When I was 18 my weight was only 38kg (84lbs), and within a year I gained 12kg (25lbs), from 38kg to 55kg thats alot for me. Im now 22 and still didnt lose any weight. Im over weight, because my height is only 5ft. I cant get pregnant, Im on clomid and metformin for 2 months now. I hope I can lose some weight, myknee and my ankle hurts when I walk too long.
Have you tried phentermine?
Yes, I have a PCOS weight loss success story.  ...Just not with Metformin.

I was diagnosed about 20 years ago, or so.  The only symptom I had was the inovulatory dysfunction.  I weighed 97lbs from age 16 to age 30 or so.  

In my 30s, I went up to 110lbs, but that was good.  Then, boom, around age 40, my periods became regular, but I started packing on the weight.  By my mid-40s, I was over 160lbs!

Diet & exercise didn't work.  In fact, I often gained weight with caloric restriction...as counterintuitive as that sounds to the average person.  I literally could go days without eating, and exercise 2 hours or more per day, and not lose an ounce...even gain weight.  It was devastating.  

I read and read and read.  Only after exhaustive research did I realize that my weight loss problems were common amongst women with PCOS.  (PCOS had been such a non-issue, I'd all but forgotten about it.)  That's when I learned cinnamon is a natural insulin sensitizer, and can help with weight loss for those who are insulin resistant.

From the day I started taking 3g of cinnamon per day, I started losing weight...with diet & exercise, of course.  (And I eat a VERY healthy diet, but it didn't lead to weight loss, before taking cinnamon.)

With an excellent diet, daily workouts, and 3g of cinnamon per day, I lost 20lbs in the first 2 months.  I stumbled a bit, when I started working out too hard.  At least, it seems that's why my weight loss stalled, at points.  (For example, I did "Insanity" and gained 2lbs.  Only when I went back to my previous diet & exercise plan did I start losing weight, again.)

So, with diet, exercise, and cinnamon every day, I've lost 30lbs, so far, and am still losing.  The first 2 months I took cinnamon were like magic.  It's been slow going, since then.  But, where for years I had no hope, I now have some control over my weight.
Major success story to share... diagnosed w/ PCOS at 19 and at an average weight for my height.  Gained weight despite trying just about everything including metformin 4 different times over 20 years.

Researched on my own and found a unique clinic to try a medical weight loss plan out of desperation. The doctor was amazing! Listened to everything, ran tests, etc. He couldn't understand why my blood levels and cholesteral weren't that bad considering my weight. He helped me choose a plan including meds that I felt comfortable with.

My miracle came with victoza!! I have lost 76 pounds in just over 3 months. Low Cal, low Carb diet combined with victoza have been amazing! Just added metformin last week to see if it increases the loss even more.

For once in my life I am hopeful that I can overcome the effects of PCOS!!!

No sugar, very low carb diet and excerise. I swear by it. Only thing that's EVER worked for me and i've done weight watchers, other diets which literally made me lose nothing.
I have had great success keeping weight off.

I was diagnosed 20 years ago. At my fattest I was too ashamed to weigh myself but was just fitting in to a size 22. Now I take a twelve and have done consistently for about fifteen years.

I did this through my own research and experimentation. I got the PCOS diet book but although it's very healthy until I counted calories to I didn't lose weight.

The principle of my diet is eat low calorie (about 1400 on average per day) with protein at almost every meal (I eat four to five times a day) eat frequently, low gl food. I take vitamins and omega 3 fish oils.

It has taken me years to find delicious, filling, fast to prepare meals that fit this but it's absolutely worth it. If a meal isn't all these things I don't tend to stick with it. Splitting lunch in two and eating half a few hours later works great for me. As does a bit of chocolate (three after eights) in the afernoon so that i don't feel deprived. I never have rubbish foods in the house to resist temptation. I firmly believe that building up healthy habits works. When you don't have to think about something it's so easy to stick to it. I have one of three breakfasts and stock up on foods so I'm never stuck.

I also eat a half a teaspoon of cinnamon daily with breakfast, turmeric or cumin with dinner and more veg than fruit.

In the hospital where i go for tests they are amazed at how well I do. My periods are regular. I have recently noticed thinning hair so have increased protein and take saw palmetto. My hair has thickened again.

Good luck. You can do it too! Don't give in a the plateaus or when you fall off the wagon. Everyone does sometimes. Just start again , and then start again and then start again. I went off the diet around Christmas and am now starting again. It'll still work.
I wasn't able to (or didn't have the conviction to) lose through diet and excercise alone, so I had gastric bypass and lost. Obviously I'm happy with the results, but hope for you that you can accomplish naturally. I'm all for the low glycemic and excercise suggestions. I hare to say but pcos is very unforgiving. This isnt a 'diet' you can cheat on... It takes 100% dedication, but I know you cam do it!
I have a very similar story to you. I have probably had pcos since I started my period. I was just diagnosed last April (at almost 29 years old). I hit my highest weight ever and had tried everything to lose weight. My doctor put me on birth control to regulate my periods which has helped quite a bit. I know this is counter-productive if you are trying to get pregnant, which is not something I have had to deal with yet. I also found out, as a separate issue, that I have a gluten intolerance. Between the birth control and being on a gluten free diet, I have lost 45 pounds over the last 8 months. I still have some weight to lose but it's a huge improvement! Not being able to eat gluten has helped since it has forced me to reduced my carb/ sugar intake. I know this was really helpful with the weight loss, since pcos affects insulin levels. I'm not sure if there is any one right answer but I can say that it is possible to lose weight with pcos. I know it's really really hard, but don't give up! And good luck!
I was too diag with Pcos and am struggling with my weight.  I was always thin until i got preggo wtih baby #1  I gained 70lbs!!!  After I had baby I only lost 20lbs (from having the baby) and stayed at a whopping 174.  Then when trying to ttc for baby2 I was put on clomid and i gained another 10lbs.  When i finally got preggo again i was on metformin 3x/day and synthroid for 1 mth.  I only gained 20lbs in this pregnancy and lost it within a week after having baby.  I am currently 178 and trying to lose weight as we are ttc for #3  Nothing seems to work on me. I eat pretty heathly so I hope i find somethin soon that works.  I hate the way i look
ive had pcos since puberty and it has only made me pile the weight on, ive tried diets and lose about 6lbs and thats it and its taken me ages! in 8days i have lost 6.5lbs and im feeling really good about it.  I havent had much meat, eaten more fruit and veg and made it from a pcos diet book.  
im hoping that this weight loss with help me with regular periods and concieving and having a sticky bean because ive had 4mc as a result of my pcos.  
fc for all of us that we can shift the weight that we need to - i have around 100lbs to lose so only 94lb to go!
I feel like my story is just a lot of complaining, but I thought I'd share to see if anyone is in a similar boat as I am... Maybe I could get some advice...
When I was 18 I gained almost 50lbs in less than a year. I made the excuse that it was from having a boyfriend and being happy and moving out of my mom's house where I had to eat good all the time, but something wasn't right. It was too fast considering I didn't eat much and when I did, it usually wasn't that bad. It piled on very quickly but I still never considered a health problem until I got really sick and ended up in the hospital, where my mom mentioned the weight gain to a dr who tested my thyroid. I was then diagnosed with hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). They told me this was the reason I gained weight so easily and quickly and probably why I've never had normal periods.
I didn't start taking my synthroid regularly until I was 24/25 when my dr put me on it again, plus birth control to "jump start" my body into having a regular period. As long as I stayed on the bc I was "normal" in that  aspect, but I still wasn't losing any weight...no matter what I did I couldn't drop below 170, so I teetered between 170/180 until I complained to my dr. He then put me on phentermine and I lost almost 20lbs in about 2 months. After that my weight would yoyo a bit between 160 and 170, but I couldn't go down anymore.... One day I was discussing a patient with the ARNP I worked with and she mentioned the girl's symptoms (which mirrored mine) and said she knew the girl had PCOS even though she was still waiting the results of the testing because of how obvious it was. BAM! SELF diagnosis.....
Now I knew what my problem was. The weight gain, inability to get pregnant, HIGHLY irregular cycle.... but there wasn't much I could do about it because I didn't have the insurance to get the testing the dr was requiring, regardless of the fact that I had literally every symptom of PCOS. Eventually I was able to get the tests done thanks to a friend who works in radiology and at least had that taken care of... SO at this point in my life I have Hypothyroidism AND PCOS and felt like life had screwed me.
After I got insurance I went to the dr and she prescribed me Metformin 850-mg BID AND Phentermine on top of the Synthroid I was already taking for my thyroid. When I went back to the dr I hadn't lost an ounce!!! I was so upset! She reviewed my labwork and told me that my thyroid was off again and that she needed to increase my Synthroid again. The past 2 months were just a waste of time and money because nothing would change if my thyroid was off. I did have my first "natural" period I've had in YEARS, but I haven't had one since (it ended Dec 3)... So now, since Jan 1, I am taking 75mcg Synthroid, 1700mg Metformin and 30mg phentermine. I go back to the dr in a few days to check my progress and I don't get on any scales otherwise so I don't know if I've accomplished anything, but I don't look or feel any different, nor or my clothes any larger.
How is it possible that I am taking all 3 medications that will supposedly help me lose weight and still getting fatter??? The last time I got weighed I was 185, which is bigger than I've ever been. I take my meds like I'm supposed to, I take vitamins that include B12 and a B Complex, Prenatal, and Green Tea (I think I'm going to try the cinamon approach next)... I eat pretty good most of the time and I don't eat very much. So no matter what I do or don't eat and no matter how much or how little I exercise I get nowhere. Does anyone have any experience with taking all 3 of these meds?
Hi you can email me if you want angel3nee_4life***@**** I was diagnosed since last yea with PCOS and I have heard people's stories about their inability to loose weight I understand its hard but I lost weight easily by swimming yes I love swimming every evening I would be at the pool rain or sun this was before I knew I had PCOS. During this time I had it but I stopped swimming and i gained weight but my weight gained always between 136 and 140 I intend to not go beyond. I stopped eating meat for a while despite what everyone else says I just took the meat out my diet and I started loosing weight my eating in smaller portions and I recently started the insanity weight loose program it is tough but my determination to get fitter will take me there. Note what will work for one person may not work for you and yes there is success stories I am on wk 2 and I can see the change I feel more energetic and can run longer distances. Ok so in a nutshell I use to Gym, swim and run. I assure you diet and exercise.
It's good that you found something that works.  I've lived with this for years.  My only caution is what these drugs can cause...  I've just looked up this drug/medication and 1st thing found was a warning....Just be cautious and stop taking the meds as soon as you can....

Serious side effects may happen in people who take Victoza, including:
1. Possible thyroid tumors, including cancer. During the drug testing process, the medicine in Victoza caused rats and mice to develop tumors of the thyroid gland. Some of these tumors were cancers. It is not known if Victoza will cause thyroid tumors or a type of thyroid cancer called medullary thyroid cancer in people. If medullary thyroid cancer occurs, it may lead to death if not detected and treated early. If you develop tumors or cancer of the thyroid, your thyroid may have to be surgically removed.
 Before you start taking Victoza, tell your healthcare provider if you or any of your family members have had thyroid cancer, especially medullary thyroid cancer, or Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2. Do not take Victoza if you or any of your family members have medullary thyroid cancer, or if you have Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia syndrome type 2. People with these conditions already have a higher chance of developing medullary thyroid cancer in general and should not take Victoza.
 While taking Victoza, tell your healthcare provider if you get a lump or swelling in your neck, hoarseness, trouble swallowing, or shortness of breath. These may be symptoms of thyroid cancer.
I had the same problem when I got diagnosed with pcos. What worked for me was seeing a nutritionist and following a diet for diabetics. I will say that pcos makes it hard to keep the weight off. Taking metformin will help bc pcos can make you insulin resistant and develop diabetes. Losing the weight will help get rid of most of the symptoms. I was able to conceive but it took a long time because of the irregular ovulation but usually your doctor will prescribe clomid with the metformin when you are ready.
I've had PCOS for the past three years, and though my doctors led me to believing im not a bad case, its been getting worse and worse over the years.
Im glad to know that it worked out for you, I will definitely try out what you said. But no amount of diet and exercise has helped me so far. I have gained weight and I find it extremely hard to lose. I have also been changing doctors, but I haven't found a good one. All of this and other things that my PCOD has done to me ( mood swings, irritability, depression) is just exhausting physically and mentally.
I was told it will become much better if I lose 10 percent of my body weight. I just don't know how and what to start.
Hi All, I had been trying to concieve (conceive) from September 2011 and am still not pregnant.From September 2011 to October 2012 i put on almost 20kg. I was diagnosed with pcos in October 2012. Whats worse, the pcos caused me to be a Type 2 Diabetic with high cholesterol levels. I just turned 25 last month....   I have started exercising at a gym and following a diabetic diet and lost 6kg in 3 months, the metformin also contributes to weight loss.. The cramps and pains dont go away.
I need to know if anyone has overcome pcos ? Have you lost the weight completely ? Most importantly, have you managed to concieve (conceive) and deliver a healthy baby ?
Hi. I've the same situation like you. I was diagnosed PCOS 6-7 yrs back. I was put on BC & metformin. But nothing worked and i was and i'm still having irregular periods. After marriage i was diagnosed with hypo thyroid and i'm on synthroid 75 mcg and had to take clomid, progestrone for regulating my periods and helping in conceive. Luckily i got pregnant within 1.5 yrs of trying , but the worse part is i gained so much weight before and during preg (50 lb gain)that i'm now 250 lb. but i had no complications during pregnancy and delivery and have a normal baby. Now i'm back to square 1 post delivery - irregular periods, heavy uterine bleeding, high levels of hypothyroid. Now doctor has increased my thyroid dosage, put me back on progestrone. and i dont seem to decrease even 1 lb of my weight, no matter how much exercise i do,  portion controlling, no sweet carb diet, anything. As far as I've heard, this hypothyroid and pcos are life long diseases. My only goal is now to atleast get back in shape and see if that helps my conditions. Planning to check out south beach diet or medifast. hope to decrease atleast 50 lbs  in this year. good luck to you too.
Natama,

Just like you, once I started gaining weight (out of the blue, no change in lifestyle) NO amount of diet an exercise would cause lasting weight loss.  In fact, the more I exercised and the less I ate, I CONTINUED to gain weight.  I was ill, at one point, and didn't eat for SEVEN DAYS!  Didn't lose an ounce!!!  I did that 'Insanity' program, and GAINED 2lbs.  I went back to my previous diet & exercise routine, and lost 6lbs in one week.  

That's when I realized HOW LOW my daily caloric intake has to be, for even diet/exercise/cinnamon to lead to weight loss.

It's said that women with PCOS have a BMR that is as much as 30% slower than would be expected.  A woman my age and activity level is believed to have an average BMR of around 1,100 cal/day.  It seems mine is closer to 800, and that's about right, if one were to believe the 30% deficit.  

So, think about that.  Most claims about the energy outputs of various activities are greatly exaggerated.  Even if I did 300 cal. worth of exercise, and another couple of hundred calories worth of extraneous activities, that still only comes to around 1,300 cal/day.  That's pretty tight.

I believe that's partly why I gained weight on 'Insanity'.  I was eating healthy foods, but in the amounts proscribed in the plan, INCLUDING a sugary recovery drink, post exercise.  When I stopped 'Insanity', I ate less, exercised less, and definitely cut out that sugary recovery drink.  I lost almost a pound a day for the following 7 days.

I continue to lose weight, incrementally (well...isn't it always incrementally?).  But it is so easy to stall.  Too many carb's.  Too many calories.  I forget to take my cinnamon.  I skip exercise one day.  

Thankfully, since starting cinnamon and really cutting back on food volume (since I have been eating a very healthy, low-cal. diet for years, both before and during weight gain), I have maintained my weight loss.  So, that is also encouraging.  Every bit of weight loss I achieve, I seem to be able to maintain without extra effort.

Although my diet is wildly varied, here's a sample day:

Breakfast:

Freshly-made green juice (collard greens, cilantro, bok choy, one kumato tomato, organic blueberries, organic strawberries, a couple of pineapple spears, and organic kale), plus a small kale salad (organic kale torn into small pieces, organic raspberries, 1/2 cup of fresh papaya chunks, a few slivers of fresh pineapple, 3-4 organic walnuts, all drizzled with a raspberry balsamic glaze), and a seed shot (a shot glass with 1/3 raw, organic sunflower seeds, 1/2 raw, organic pumpkin seeds, 1/6 organic sesame seeds)  In all, it only takes about 10 min's to prepare this breakfast, which is why it's probably the most common for me.  Cleaning the juicer takes about 20 min's, and has to be done immediately.  That's the annoying part.
-OR-
Steel cut oats with a splash of organic maple syrup (and/or fresh apple or raisins & cinnamon)' plus 2/3 a small glass of acai/pomegranate juice with 1/3 beet juice
-OR-
2-3 Brazil nuts plus 100ml of low sodium tomato juice

PLUS 1,500mg of cinnamon (or less, if cinnamon in oatmeal)

Snack:

1 Tbsp spicy hummus with 4 warmed, wholegrain mini (2") pitas
-OR-
1 organic banana
-OR-
1/2 cup of coconut almond-based yoghurt, or vanilla coconut-based yoghurt

Lunch:

1 cup edamame with 1/2 glass of grapefruit juice
-OR-
Homemade coconut soup (organic vegetable broth, mini can of coconut milk, splash of lime juice, 2-4 organic mushrooms sliced, a few organic basil leaves, 1 cup chopped organic cauliflower, 1/3 cup fresh cilantro)

Snack:

1 slice of wholegrain bread with blackstrap molasses, plus 1/2 glass of grapefruit juice
-OR-
An apple
-OR-
A cup of lemon green tea

Dinner:

1 cup of curry lentil soup plus 4 warmed wholegrain mini (2") pitas
-OR-
Vegan vegetable & brown rice (or pasta) dish
-OR-
Large kale salad with kumato tomatoes, fresh herbs, 4-5 nuts (walnut, almond, 2-3 Brazil nuts) with a balsamic or peppercorn dressing.

PLUS 1,500mg of cinnamon
I have a similar story, gained 2 1/2 stone in the last two years and my PCOS symptoms started at the same time??? Weird. Anyway over the last 3 months I have lost 23lbs by following the Slimming World lifestyle. Please don't cut out carbs, I really don't get why people do silly diets like that, you'll only put the weight back on you can't live like that! If you are serious about losing weight you need to cut out the bad fats, if I can do it you can :) good luck, my weight loss doesn't seem to be dropping off so quick now and I still have 50 day long cycles but it was worth a shot
My gyno explained it to me that pcos is a never ending cycle we're fat because we have it and we have it because we're fat. She told me that is extremely hard for us to loose the weight even with strict diet and exercise. She put me on phentermine. I LOVE it! I lost 20 lbs fist month. The goal is about 8 lbs a month to keep it slow and steady. Also for the facial hair she gave me spirolactone >I'm sure my spelling of these medications are off< it is a water pill but it WORKS! These are my only 2 medications. No metformin and no BC. She believes once I get to my weight goal everything will level itself off and I won't need anything any more. Good luck.
I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago.. I was told the same thing to lose weight, i admit it was not easy for me because i love eating but the my husband told me that he wanted to have a baby and that's when i started cutting all my food intake and taking muaythai session but i became depress because i haven't lost any pound over the years until this january a miracle happened to me, even though i eat alot im losing weight without trying to diet and muaythai.. I only walk,  managing a business and sleep late and the people around me told me that im losing weight.. Then i went to an ob to check me and give me some medicines.. It helps me and now im 4 weeks and 6 days pregnant..
Totally agree, I found this out after long research. I Don't eat anything white -breads, pastas, sugar and flour. I made my portions smaller and eat mainly clean, Once I started eating this way I lost 20 pounds in 2 months and several inches, went from a size 18-14. Now if I could just find a way to control the extra hair growth on my chin.
I just  found out that I also have this dreaded PCOS.  I have tried phentermine, no success with that. I have been on that before and it worked for me. Not this time.  I bought some new scrubs and with in 2 months after buying them they no longer fit.  I have gained at least 30 to 40 pounds in 3 months time.  I eat veggies, fruit, drink water etc.  I don't know what else to do.  It is very frustrating.  I will be 51 this month and i just want to stay inside and not go anywhere at all.  My doctor just put me on metformin 500mg 2x's a day.  I have also noticed real bad knee pain and am going to physical therapy for it.  I just want to feel better.  I am tired of the pain that comes with it.
I am 43 and just diagnosed with PCOS.  After having a CT scan for a whole other reason...the results came back showing that I have PCOS.  So my doc told me about it and said well that explains why you have trouble losing weight and sent me along my way.  No explanations or insight on what PCOS was all about.  So I went home and did research online to find out what PCOS was all about.  I had my third kid in 2011 and had many complication and also had gestational diabetes, was on bed rest from complications of polyhydramnios and was on Procardia for stopping pre term labor.  After delivery I had a tubal ligation.  Weight prior to pregnancy was 122lbs and at the end was 178lbs.  Prior to pregnancy I was told I had cysts in my ovaries.  Several years earlier when I was about 35 yrs old I noticed I gained 20lbs in one year.  I went to my doc (same doc) to tell her this is crazy.  I also have MVP and I am not supposed to gain all that weight as it will make my symptoms worse.  So I struggled for years trying to lose this excess weight.  Oh, btw I was about 102lbs before all the problems started.  My doc said just diet and exercise.  OK...I have always had a very healthy diet, eat very little and exercise a whole lot.. all of a sudden I am gaining weight from every angle!  I thought I was losing my mind.  I can't eat like a regular person, I can't eat desserts, I can't indulge in anything or else the weight just appears the very next morning!  I used to go to the gym every day do cardio and weights.  So doc said it was muscle weight.  But I don't do bulk forming weight exercises!  I was extremely frustrated.  So over the years I have stuggled to lose any kind of weight.  I watch my foods, take weight lose supplements, anything to just lose 1 pound and it is just impossible.  I had to swim, do taebo and go to the gym plus practically starve myself before I finally drop 1 llb!.  This is not a joke it is the most frustrating thing to deal with.  I kept yo-yoing losing 1-2 lbs and gain 2-4 lbs.  Anyway after my pregnancy I worked out so hard to lose the pregnancy weight.  I did tapout, for the entire length and pushed myself so hard, I lost 4 lbs.  My weight is down to 130lbs currently and for the past 6-7 months I keep yo-yoing from 130-132 lbs no matter what I do.  I even tried zumba and zumba myself so hard and still no weight loss.  I took saffron extract for 8 weeks: no loss.  I took Mega T, weight loss supplements, cleansing stuff, even drink shakeology with a strict diet, did the 17 day diet for 2 months...wear sweat inducing rubber pants to sweat more...nothing is working.  I am not on any medications.  I was prediabetic after third pregnancy.  But my A1c levels are just fine now.  So my blood glucose is fine, I check it all the time at home as I am paranoid that my glucose levels my go out of whack but it hasn't, my BP is fine, my hormone levels are fine.  I don't know what else to do.  The set back for me is my MVP (mitral valve prolapse)  with this weight I get worse symptoms ie. palpitations as weight gain = increase blood volume which is harder on my heart.  I need to lose this weight to try and go back to at least 110lbs.  I recently went back to the gym and started interval training and on a strict diet..  So far after two weeks, no weight loss.  I just want to cry and scream.  I found this blog and I felt better that I was not going insane about my problems.  It is good to know that there are folks out here with PCOS having the same troubles.  Is there a way for us to find the most successful regiment without feeling defeated each time.  Starving is not a solution, and being on a restricted super ridiculous low cal diet is insanity especially with crazy workouts.  Will some doctor or researcher out there please help us figure something out.  I can't take Phentermine due to my heart condition.    I should not have taken weight loss stuff but I was desperate.  I've cut out caffeine, I drink green tea 1-2 times a day, I take a Shakeology drink make with unsweetened almond milk, and eat a small dinner with half chicken breast, allowed/recommended veges and no carbs or very tiny amount of carbs, lots of water throughout the day, minimal snacks, (seaweed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds).  I don't eat fast food ie. burgers, fries etc.  If someone offers I will just try 1 French fry.  I hate this syndrome and I hate stepping on the scale as nothing seems to work and it seems almost hopeless.  I feel like I am pushed to the brink and I am hanging on by my nails.  Praying for good solution to fight this syndrome back.  PS.  I see a therapist also...it helps.. when the docs can't do anything or don't want to.
I completely understand where you are coming from when it comes to trying to lose weight and how hard it is.

I was diagnosed with PCOS several yeas ago. I was told that I would not be able to have children but surprise I got pergnant. Unfortunately I had a miscarrage (miscarriage) and soon after found out I had cancer. I am happy to report that I am cancer free now but I am still dealing with PCOS and how hard it is to lose weight.

Last year I decided that I would do whatever it takes to lose the weight. I got tired of looking in the mirror and seeing a stranger. I have tried all kinds of diets and workouts. I joined a gym for a while, I did the HCG drops (before they came out with a report saying it messed with your heart), I have done almost all the fad diets, and I even did P90X for 90 days.

So far the only thing that worked for me was when I started walking last year. Like you, I do not eat poorly. I cook almost everyday and hardly ever eat any fast food. Well this year I hit a plateau and was not able to lose a pound. Can you imagine doing P90X and not lose a pound!! Well one day when out with a friend I met a young lady that was promoting a diet suppliment. I didn't pay her much attention until she told my friend that she had a friend with PCOS and it helped her lose weight. She had my attention...LOL. She gave me a sample and I tried it last week...I lost a couple of pounds so I bought a week trial off her.

I am starting the trial and will see how it goes. If it's for real and helps me even lose 3 lbs in that week then I will be happy to tell you all abou it.

A lot of people don't understand how hard it is for women like us to lose weight or how emotional it is for those of us that cannot have children. I'm glad there are places like this for us to connect.

Anyway, I'll keep in touch and let you know what my progress is. Wish me luck!
I just bit the bullet and got laser hair removal done. It was the best money I ever spent!

It is not 100% gone but I am ok with going to get a touch up treatment about once a year.

Trust me, for your peace of mind....laser it the way to go.
This really made me smile. What a lovely guy you must be to care so much about what your girlfriend is going through and do all you can to help her. Shows there are truly amazing people in the world, although often we find the opposite! Did you find that the lifestyle and exercise changes worked to alleviate any of the PCOS symptoms?
Hi, I am 18 and I was just diagnosed with PCOS today. I believe I have had it for about a year or two now. I have put on 90 pounds, I have hair in spots that I shouldn't, have not gotten a period in 4 months, and I have crazy hormones. I used to be about 160 lbs, and I am now 250 lbs. I was just wondering and looking for people who have possibly gone through this as well, I was just put on 250 mg of metformin a day, and I was wondering if I could expect weight loss/ hair loss and regain my periods? Someone please let me know, I am so worried I will never lose this weight.
Hi Mika, thanks for replying to my post, I read your post and I relate to your situation.  I went to see the GI specialist re my CT scan, (I was sent there by my primary care doc who said I had pcos) and the GI specialist want to do an upper endo and a lower gi laparoscopy.  The GI also said that my primary care doc is wrong about the pcos.  She said she when she (the GI) read the CT scan report her interpretation of the cyst were inside and not outside the ovaries. So GI highly recommened that I go to a OBGYN specialist as long as it doesn't offend my primary care.  I sat there just bewildered.  I had scheduled a pap with my primary care and called the office to have a referral to a specialist for OBGYN and they still want me to come in just to get a referral.  GI said I will need more tests by a specialish in OBGYN before concluding diagnosis with PCOS.  GI specialist was not thrilled about what my primary care doc had told me about my CT scans.  So now I am at a loss as to what to believe until I go to an OB specialist.  More tests...aaarrgh.  I really don't know what to think but am trying to just not worry about stuff and continue working out hard and watching diet.  I also just weighed my self and am down to 129.5lbs.  not much weight but something better than nothing.  So I consume anywhere between 1200 or less calories a day, rarely above 1800 cals (maybe when I eat a subway tuna sandwich?!)and I burn between 300-400 cals a day at the gym, sometimes more..depends. I do cardio for 40, 50 or 60 minutes (elliptical, treadmill), light weight, more reps., ab exercises.  So I burn anywhere from 1200 or more calories a week.  I don't drink soda, or sugary drinks either.  So the math says I should lose lbs...but I don't.  Blows my mind away.  E.g I drink my multivit drink in the am, then a large cup of green tea, shakelogy with almond milk for breakfast.  Then a cucumber/iceberg lettuce salad with carrot-ginger dressing and a bowl of miso soup.  Dinner was3/4 cup rice with 2 pork meatballs (1inch diameter,reduced fat meat, and baked in oven) and lightly stir fried bokchoy with garlic and ginger, snacks were 1/4 cup almonds throughout day, and plenty of water.  And this dinner is heavier than I normally eat.   Two hours later I went to gym (did treadmill, speed walk and jog interval for 45 minutes plus strength on legs and abs), came home and had another vitamin drink  (emergen-C 5 calories only, just mix with 4oz water), then a cup of herbal tea and more water, then I went to bed.  I eat like this often.  sometimes I just eat a really light dinner, just a bowl of veges and very little meat.  I eat beef like once a month or longer.  mostly chicken, turkey, tofu.  So I don't know how all the theories of metabolism isn't working for me.  And if I don't have pcos then I don't know what is causing this.  BTW I am terrified of doing the upper gi and lower gi.  I told my GI I have to think about it as I am scared of the procedure.  She said she want to make sure there is nothing she is missing about my GI symptoms.  Good luck with your new supplement, I hope it works.
First off  I would like to say I had a terrible experience with Metformin.  my blood sugar was never high and once I started it my blood sugar never went  over 85.  It did no good and I stopped taking it.

as far as losing weight...yes you can.  I have been able to lose weight but it doesn't come off super fast.  I have to be very careful about what I eat and watch the white starchy crabs and sugar.  I exercise everyday also.   if it helps at all I can lose inches easier than I can drop actual pounds so I look a lot thinner than the # on my scale would suggest!  keep at it and don't stress!!  
Hopefully u know I meant starchy carbs not crabs!
I have PCOS and tried everything too. My highest was 280 pounds. I finally switched my diet to consist of 80% plant based raw food. and wow, I lost over a hundred pounds in a very short time. I wasnt even trying it just fell off. Getting rid of the hormones in the food was the key! We have enough hormones why add more! lol. My periods became regular and I recently went to the dr because I had a cyst rupture from clomid and they did a scan and said I have no cycts on ovaries anymore! I think a combination of plant based foods, and my vitex /maca combo helped a ton. I got married and kinda fell off wagon and bam gained 20 pounds. now I am trying to be strict again because I want another child...naturally if I can :)
I am 20 years old, mother of a two year old. I was 18 when i had my little boy. Before i was pregnant. i weighed 120. I was very athletic and ate pretty well. So after the pregnancy i was 170. Two years later and I the scale showed 160. So i went to my doc and she discovered i had PCOS. I wasnt ovulating, I wasn't loosing weight even if i was exercising, walking to work, but then again i wasn't eating too well eithor. So its been one month I take 500 mg once a day and june 1st i am starting to take it twice a day. I now go to the gym three days a week, eat healthy and drink 8 water bottles a day. When i first started i was sick to my stomach, and felt like i was pregnant. But now that my body is getting used to it i cant wait to up my dose. One month later i am now 154 lbs. i know, 6 pounds but thats progress, its actually healthy to start off with progress. And it gives me motivation, like oh maybe when i up my dose ill loose 16 pounds next month. So i hope my story helps. I am very motivated because it can work if you work with it. You cant just take the pill and exspect results. I go back to my doc at the end of august and my goal is to sit there and smile and tell her look at me, i loved it! and ofcourse i hope the PCOS will help too. But mostly my weight. So GO US! WE can ALL DO IT. and good luck to everyone.
Hey

I have pcos and my doc is no help at all she didnt help with weight loss and doesn't even reply my emails ive been looking for another doc that could help would u mind giving me your docs info and province. maybe he/she could help its been really hard for me gaining weight with no one helping me
hi..i also have a success story to share ...i was the fattest kid in my family ..used to eat each and everything .and weighed 50 kgs at the age of  10  .my periods were erratic right from the biggening.nothing for three to four months and then a full month of them .but i didnt have any othe r pcos symptoms ..then i took a homeopathic medicine for curing those month long perids .as a result  i stopped getting periods at all  .i gained weight like hell and weighed 75 at the age of 18 . i never knew it was pcos  . i knew nothing about my disease .went to a doctor and she only told my to follow  the prescribed diet plan ,no sugar ,no coke (mind u i used to drink coke in place of water .literally ) i didnt follow it .then i met failure in my real life and got really depressed .i was angry with myself for being a loser ,thick hair on face ,fat cow .good for nothing . i started starving myself ..wouldnt eat anything .just 1 litre coke and 2 - 3  chips  packets once a  day .simply means one meal a day .only after one month i got my first periods in 5-6 years .the i kept on losing weight ,without really an intention to lose weigth (mind u i was hopeless ), and i mangaed to get 5 times in a year .my diet was very irregular .i never stopped drinking coke .but i didnt eat rice .and very small portions of food .eversince i have reached 55 kg mark i get my periods every month after 32 days .without any pill .i just eat less of everything .i have lessened on coke now .because now i know it is the sole cause of my disease  .i stil have symptoms ,facial hair ,less hair on scalp .hirutism  ,sugar cravings ,but my condition has gone way better then it used to be .i dont get those mood swings that often .i have busied myself in studies .they also helped me lose weight .so all in all the condition can be improved  if you diet .reduce your portion size and drink a lot of water .
How long did it take for you to notice a difference? I went off of birth control and gained 10 pounds in one month. I am now on MF 1000mg/day for 2 weeks and have not noticed any weight difference at all.

Thanks!
Hey,
I'm 21 I was diagnosed with pcos at age 15 because i started to have crazy weight gain darkening of the skin and i was growing facial hair for a young girl that is very hard to deal with but as time went on i figured out how to adjust to my diagnosis and I basically let myself go i got to 253lbs and i looked at myself and decided i would follow the doctors advice and try as hard as i could to lose weight and so i have been doing a yogurt smoothie and chicken diet and doing some flat tummy exercises that only take 8 minutes a day and i have seen amazing results i thought of the diet on my own because i was put on every diet under the sun and put on metformin 1000mg a day 500mg am & pm. and that didnt work so I decided i would make up my own diet and maybe its not the healthiest but i feel wonderful i started the diet on october 5th, 2013 and i have already lost 38lbsi started at 253 and i'm now at 215 only after a short time and an added plus i finally saw aunt flo for the first time in 1 and a half years this morning. so ladies if i can do it you can do it and i figure a few more months regular periods and i can finally TTC.
I am 22 and I was diagnosed with borderline pcos.   I was also told to eat healthy to keep the symptoms at bay and keep me out of becoming full-fledged pcos.  I cut out all simple carbs (anything processed), and I work out everyday for at least a half hour.  The weight fell off (I lost forty pounds in four months) and my periods are perfectly regular now.  The facial hair and the acne is much better but not totally gone.  Sugar is poison to a woman with pcos.  Stay away from it.  It worked for me.  Good luck.
I was diagnosed with pcos 10  years ago. I tried to lose weight but never got anywhere. This may I decided enough was enough and joined weight watchers. I was 17st 2 on my first weigh in. 3  weeks ago I weighed in at 14st 8 and that was my last weigh in as I was 7 weeks pregnant. I'm now 10 and still think am in a dream.
Losing weight is the most important thing. I was on metformin but it did nothing apart from make me gain weight. I have lost the weight by my self and it has been hard work but solo worth it. Xxxx
I would like you to know I am 24 and living with PCOS. I found out when i was 11 that I had it, it runs in my family my grandmother mom and aunt all have it, do not listen to them when they say you are unable to have children, my aunt has three kids my mom had me and my twin brother and my grandmother also had four children so yes it is possible. I want to post my success story to you however, with the PCOS i have always been overweight and that resulted in being diabetic, I started watching what I ate around November of 2013 and I joined my local gym in January. Before I started this recent journey nothing helped and diet alone is not enough i was sluggish on all kinds of medications and my periods were outrageous. as of today I went to the doctor and I am proud to announce I no longer have to take medication for my diabetes for it has gotten under control and I started my journey weighing 280 pounds in November and I am now 220 pounds! Besides the medication my periods are light and on time every month, something that has never happened since I was 13! So you can do it I have hope since I finally see that it is possible to lose weight and live a normal life with PCOS we just have to work harder than most. The facial hair is still a problem and I shave my face everyday but I wear foundation which covers up the evidence that I shave, the doctor said that once i get my IUD in I will start to notice that the facial hair and acne will start to go to normal, i highly recommend and IUD rather than standard birth control, the side effects are less and you don't have to remember to take it, it lasts for five years. My friend also has PCOS and it has done wonders for her, with this disease we need the extra hormones, my doctor also prescribed me prenatal vitamins, seem to be working, my biggest advice would be to cut out sugar like soda sweets candy etc but DO NOT eat anything diet or sugar free the sugar alcohol is horrid for us so if your craving something sweet just eat it, everything is ok in moderation. Water with lemon and a oinch of raw sugar is my best friend when I'm craving something to drink that has a little taste. Also stay away from fried foods, I eat all raw vegtables and buy fresh chicken and fish not frozen and I eat small amounts of red meat. I know this post is older but I happened by it today and thought I would share. It's hard to deal with but better knowing you're not the only one and others can help! Good Luck