Anyone try N-acetylcysteine for PCOS
I have a book called "Stop Prediabetes Now" written by Jack Challem.  He has a section on PCOS and says to take N-acetylcysteine 600 mg three times daily.  He says in a study, this led to significant decreases in testosterone and insulin in women with PCOS.  IT said that testorone levels dropped by more than half and insulin levels declined by about one-third in four weeks.  

I then googled it, and found many websites stating the same thing. Here is one site for example:
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/nac.html

Has anyone tried this and if so, did you have any results?
Never even heard of it. Is this something over the counter, or prescribed by a doctor? I'm actually going to do some research on it right now.

Thanks on the tip.
Yes, this is an amino acid that you can get in any vitamin store.  
Interesting. I'll look it up. Any side effects though?
I didn't see any side effects listed.  It's just a suppliment, so hopefully nothing harsh.  I'm on Metformin for PCOS so I emailed Life Extension, the company where I buy my vitamins and asked them if it was okay to take both.  I haven't heard back yet though.
This was my response to my question about taking this with Metformin:

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

We are sorry to hear about your health condition.  

Life Extension has not seen any evidence suggesting that n-acetylcysteine would be contraindicated with metformin.

On a side note, because metformin may cause malabsorption of vitamin B12, we would suggest taking methylcobalamin to maintain optimal B12 status.  Life Extension offers this product in 1mg or 5mg dose; here are links to the description of this product:  

Methylcobalamin (1mg)
http://www.***.***/Vitamins-Supplements/Item00536/Methylcobalamin.html

Methylcobalamin (5mg)
http://www.***.***/Vitamins-Supplements/Item00537/Methylcobalamin.html

If you have any additional questions, please e-mail us or call the advisor helpline at (***) ***-****; international customers dial ***-***-***-****.  We will be glad to assist you.

Visit Life Extension on the web: www.lef.org
Hi:

There is some evidence that suggests that NAC can help with PCOS.  

NAC is an incredibly versatile antioxidant that is used for all sorts of conditions including obsessive compulsive disorder, hair pulling, bipolar depression, schitzophrenia, cocaine addiction, alcoholism and unipolar depresssion.  It is used to treat people who have overdosed on paracetamol and can help with excess mucous!

If you type in n-acetylcysteine in a seacrh engine you will get heaps of results (including lots of research papers).

tdk451