Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Brown discharge?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Brown discharge?

I have this brown discharge, maybe with a hint of pink in it, and it only shows up when I wipe. I haven't been wearing a liner or anything and it hasn't gotten on my panties, so I don't know what to think of it. I've never, ever had brown discharge before.

A little bit of my history... I have (undiagnosed) PCOS, so I have REALLY irregular periods and no ovulation. This has been going on for about 3 1/2 years now. My LMP was August 11, 2011, so if this were to be a regular cycle, I'd be 3 weeks late as of yesterday (October 1st). I tried an HPT on the 17th when I was a week late and it was negative.

I know odd things like spotting are common with women who have messed up cycles, but I wasn't kidding when I said I never, ever had brown discharge before. My periods have always been an all or nothing sort of deal; when it starts, it starts and it doesn't stop until it's done. Even since I've had issues with my cycles. What I think is that I tested too soon and am either pregnant at last (yay!) or something is wrong (not yay). The only reason I'm asking for opinions is because I'm inexperienced when it comes to identifying a pregnancy. It certainly would explain the weird "full" feeling I have in my lower abdomen, though...

So... if you're just going to tell me to see my doctor, you might as well save it because I don't have one right now. Otherwise, feel free to comment.
I was like you all or nothing! But as the years went on my cycles got longer shorter then longer an the brown spotting came in to play! So I lived with that for about a year then finally went to the doctor she put me on bc to see if it was a hormonal issue then after a month of non stop bleeding I had a d&c earlier today.  She did say she found some tissue and that could have been the cause of the brown bleeding. because is was aggravating my uterus. So if it is a little bit I wouldn't be worried. Good luck to you! And I hope you get a bfp really soon! Your not alone lady if ya ever wanna chat I am here for ya. Places like this seem to help me and ease my mind and make this process so much better!
In my experience and what my doctor has told me in the past that brown discharge is litterally "dead" blood and usually shows up at the end of a period. Thats the info i have on it, hope it helps :-)
When we were ttc, I had the same issue, always irregular, but when it did come it was full on. Then the second my husband and I started trying, it was like a switch in my body went. All of a sudden I was going months without a period, convinced I was preggo because all I was getting was this tiny bit of brown discharge. Exactly like you. I did sooo many HPT's, morethan I care to remember, each of them returning the "not pregnant" verdict. Convinced they were wrong, I went to my doc, who did a blood test, which also came back negative. It was at this point she finally ordered an ultrasound and they discovered the PCOS. My do put me 2 x 500mg of Metformin, for the first two months, then increased it to 3 x 500mg of Metformin a day with food. For the first time in months, I had a period, the biggest one in my life, I was having to double up and change every hour. It lasted just over a week, but it must have done the trick, because that was the month DH and I finally got a pos result on our HPT! Hang in there Hun, and I know you said not to say go to your doctor, but in this case they were the only ones able to prescribe me with the medication my body needed in order to fall pregnant..... SSBD xxx
It's all about medication and doctors with everyone, isn't it?

FYI, I don't do medication. Not even anti-depressants for my clinical depression. I'm not saying medication doesn't help people and maybe even make certain things possible for them that weren't possible before, but drugs aren't for me. There are plenty of natural remedies out there that have the same, if not a better effect than drugs.

I don't deal with doctors, either. They don't want to spend the time to help someone anymore, they don't even listen to people anymore. I told the last doctor I saw that I wanted to try Metformin even though I know my mom reacts badly to it, but she looked at me like I was stupid and prescribed birth control pills instead. I just told the woman I was TTC and she gives me birth control. Maybe that's what they use to "regulate" people, but I don't want to be regulated, I want to be treated appropriately for my condition. Seems like they've got all of you pretty well trained to do whatever they tell you to do, though.
We are sharing our experience's and knowledge with you, there is no need to insult us. If medication is not for you, that is your own personal choice. You came to the forum with a question, and we gave you our answers. This is a place where we share our histories with each other to better understand our condition. You sound very angry, and this is not the place for that. If you have a problem with your doctor, take it up with them. Don't get angry with us on the forum for sharing our experiences.
i know the feeling o doctors not helping. i was 16 and had all of the symptoms for endometriosis and i told my gyno to check it for me and all she did was put me on birth conrol so i went to an endo specialist and he did a laporoscopy turns out i had very bad endometriosis and i had scarred tissue fusing my insides together!!!! i also have undiagnosed PCOS.... that and endo run in my family.

now i have the same problem as you.i have the brown discharge as well and have had very light spotted periods my last two periods and they've only lasted for 3 days each time. i took 5 HPT and 3 were negative, 1 pos, 1 invalid.. went to doctor, they only did the pee test n she said it was my normal period and that i shouldnt be over dramatic, but i have ALL of the preg symptoms and its only gotten worse... im tired of doctors just giving me something and sending me on my way. i wanna know whats actually going on.!!! im 19 now and after four years they finally figured out i also have a hernia and intestinal problems. so i have no idea whats wrong. if you go to a doctor dont just settle for one doctors opinion

now i have the same problem as you.i have the brown discharge as well and have had very light spotted periods my last two periods and they've only lasted for 3 days each time. i took 5 HPT and 3 were negative, 1 pos, 1 invalid.. went to doctor, they only did the pee test n she said it was my normal period and that i shouldnt be over dramatic, but i have ALL of the preg symptoms and its only gotten worse... im tired of doctors just giving me something and sending me on my way. i wanna know whats actually going on.!!! im 19 now and after four years they finally figured out i also have a hernia and intestinal problems. so i have no idea whats wrong. if you go to a doctor dont just settle for one doctors opinion try a few different ones.

hope  i helped a little
I sympathize greatly.  Doctors let me slip by for years with PCOS symptoms and did nothing deeper to help a young woman who was in pain and needing help.  And the fact I suffer from Bipolar and the paranoia caused by the chemical imbalance in my brain made me very suspicious of doctors.  Depression specifically changed my perceptions so I felt both scared and mistrustful.  

Brown discharge is usually a sign of break through bleeding from built up endrometrial tissue.  It sometimes happens when you ovulate as well. So it's just old blood.  But it points to the fact women need to have a period at least every three months to clean out that old tissue.  Its not good for us otherwise.

The problem with PCOS symptoms is there are four other diseases that have the same effects of hyperandroginsm.  There is Cushings, Adrenal Hyperplasia, and Hasimoto's thyroditis.  Plus a few rarer.

(I am saying in general here) You can go up to doctors office and order an ultrasound to look for poly-cystic ovaries.  It takes ten minutes.  Its very easy and is about as troublesome as a pelvic exam except the tool is designed to be comfortable.  You are paying them and while I know it is hard you can demand the tests YOU need.

Fortunately there are herbal and natural remedies around; I use http://www.insulitelabs.com PCOS system and I got my regular periods back combined with my doctors traditional Metformin treatment. It is not just a pill plan but comes with a eating plan and exercise plan to maximize the results as well as great support.

There is hope! So don't be scared of a little ultrasound and don't let the doctors tell you differently than what you feel.  You are paying them after all.  You are the boss.
i'm glad to hear that non medicated works for you... it didn't for me
i was taking many different herbal remedies for my PCOS for about 3 years before i went to a doctor, because it just wasn't doing anything.  
many people i know have tried natropaths and the like before seeking out doctors so don't just pigeon hole people.  we are all just searching for answers and helping each other understand and relate.