Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Constant Vaginal Bleeding--PCOS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Constant Vaginal Bleeding--PCOS?

New to the boards. Not sure this is even the best place for my questions, but I would love any insight anyone has. I'm becoming desperate and frustrated.

I am 24 years old, a graduate student (therefore I don't have insurance), a bit overweight (but working on it). I had normal periods most of my life--they would typically last anywhere from 3-5 days and occasionally they would be pretty heavy, but it was not a regular occurrence. I have never been on birth control, I have no reason to suspect an STD (been with the same partner for 3 years). Never been to the gyno (please don't judge. it's not for lack of wanting, it's because of too many questions from my family)

I started having abnormal vaginal bleeding around age 21, and it started during a very, very stressful time in my life. I read that stress can sometimes be the cause of abnormal vaginal bleeding, so I sort of ignored it. The bleeding would last a month, then stop for awhile, then come back, then stop. A year later, my period seemed to go back to normal for a few months. However, for at least the past year I have had abnormal vaginal bleeding again. The bleeding will last for several months and then go away for several months. I do have the added stress of being a relatively new graduate student, trying to balance school and work, relationship stress (both family and significant other) so I'm wondering if that's contributing to it?

If anyone has any experience with this, is experiencing the same thing, or knows of ways I can get back to normal, I would greatly appreciate it. As you can imagine, bleeding every day for months is very troubling for a busy graduate student and of course puts a damper on my relationship. I'm also beginning to plan a future, and I'm nervous this could have an impact on fertility. I know the standard advice is "go to the doctor," but any other advice would be especially appreciated
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Such kind of abnormal bleeding is not good and can cause with your life. Hence an evaluation with a Doctor is necessary in your case. And ultrasound scan will help determine the cause of bleeding. Birth control pills may help in regularising the menses. Consult a gynaecologist for an evaluation.
Hope this helps.