Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Diagnosed, TTC for 2 months, feeling overwhelmed and hopeless

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

HI -  was initially diagnosed wit PCOS at 20 (nine years ago) and put on BC pills to regulate my periods. I completely put the whole thing out of my mind and just really forgot about it until now. I'm now married and we started TTC in November. I stopped taking my BC end of September, had a period October 31st and since then nothing (It's now January 11th). I was so hopeful that I was pregnant but after multple negative HPT and a negative BHCG, I went back to my doctor who "reminded" me about my condition and what it meant. I went home and just cried - I feel devastated and like I'm a failure at something that should be so natural. Everyone around me seems to be getting pregnant wthout a hitch. PLease, please, please tell me it's not hopeless....I want so badly tobe a mother. Has anyone had success conceiving with help of acupuncture, vitex, etc??? I should also mention hat I don't exhibit any of the more common traits (ie: excessive hairgrowth) and I'm 5'7" and 125 lbs.
Tags: overwhelmed, ttc with PCOS, havin a baby w pcos
I was diagnosed with PCOS as well.  I am now 5 weeks pregnant.  For me, what made all the difference in the world was exercising.  I am still slighly overweight but even by losing 5lbs my cycle started regulating and then after 10lbs of weight loss, I was getting my period every month.  And I continued to get my period every month until last month, which how I ended up taking a HPT and it came back possitive.  It's NOT hopeless, just harder.  Don't let anyone tell you that it is hopeless.  There are many people on here who have been diagnosed with PCOS and have gone on to have healthy and happy children.  Some have use medications to help them, some have used IVF and some have even just gone the exercise and diet route like myself.  If there is a will, there is a way.
Jennie -
How long did it take you to conceive?? Losing weight is not really an option for me since I'm already only 125 lbs but I was reading somewhere that adapting a diet for diabetics might help?? Did you use any drugs?? I have an ultrasound this Thursday and did bloodwork yesterday so hopefully I'll have more answers by next week but I want to be as proactive as possible.
Do not feel hopeless. Many, many women have been successful even after their pcos diagnosis. I have likely had pcos since I was 14, Drs put me on bc to regulate me and never did anything to figure out why i had not gotten my period in 7 months. I started mine at 10 and was extremely regular. I have been ttc almost 2 years i know someday it will hopefully take me by surprise. You need to keep your head up and make sure you can communicate with your Dr and you trust them. I have had some very bad Dr's and i think has been a big issue. You have to be proactive and stay on top of things otherwise they may not take your concerns seriously. You do not want to stick with a Dr that isn't listening to your concerns and going the extra mile. Do not stick with a Dr if you aren't receiving proper attention. Seek another opinion...good luck and baby dust**
try not to be to down hun, normal couples only have a 25% chance every month and for most "normal" couples it can take up to a year before doctors are even concerned.  It's good that your getting bloodwork and US right away I agree with shastwell your doctor makes ALL the difference and if you don't feel comfortable with his/her decisions get a new one!!  I went through five doctors (in 3.5 years) before i found my doctor and I 100% believe without him I wouldn't be pregnant now.  As for my story, I was normal weight, with normal hormone levels, no outward symptoms except high blood pressure but I had over 100 cysts.  So for us to get preggo it took ovarian drilling, followed by injectable drugs and IUI, our 5th attempt at IUI worked :).  But like i said I had over 100 cysts for most women with PCOS it is not that difficult, harder than "normal" but possible.  I followed a diabetic diet also it seemed to help.  We also added acupuncture with the 5th IUI but I didn't start it until 2 DPO so I don't think it contributed, but it's really relaxing which always helps :).  good luck I hope you get you BFP soon.
Thank you for your posts. I am still feeling like I'm riding an emotional roller coaster although I know that at only two months of TTC we are by no means at a stand still. I went for a consultation with an acupuncturist today and will start sessions as well as herbal supplements next week. I figure it can't hurt and hubby seems very supportive with the considerable cost (God bless him, did I ever luck out). My doctor is fantastic and I trust her completely. She seems very positive although I have a sneaky suspicion she might be doing it for my benefit. I guess I can only wait and see what the blood work and US reveal. I was just curious, do your mothers or sisters have pcos as well? My mom has always had very irregular periods and I was just wondering if there is a genetic component??
My mom and sister both have symptoms but won't get tested, my mom conceived three kids without any medical intervention.  and yes it is genetic, it's a mutated gene from what I've read if you have a girl you roughly have a 50% chance of passing it on.  That's my biggest concern actually I'm 28 weeks with a little girl.  It seems like your into holistic medicine which I looked into also, If you don't already switching to organic food is a good idea some research suggests that pesticides and genetically modified food affects how rapidly metabolic disorders progress also If you have a girl having her follow a diabetic diet with help slow the progression if she gets the gene.  I'm assuming the ON means you live in Ontario, I don't think you have genetically modified food up there.  I think the FDA is the only ones blind enough to let it continue.  Sorry wrong rant.  unfortunately the emotional part only gets worse as time goes on, make sure you have someone to talk to about ttc.  The ladies on here are amazing support and you can't forget about your hubby he can help a lot also.  good luck :)
Hi - great to hear you are pregnant! My mom obviously got pregnant with me so hopefully that's a good sign. I've already cut out sugar, pop, junk food and white bread several years ago (I've never had much of a sweet tooth) so maybe that will put me a bit ahead of the game. I actually had the most random conversation with a complete stranger in the check out line of a grocery store today who had gone through the same thing and ended up having three kids - she gave me a big hug and a "keep your chin up" which was surprisingly reassuring - go figure.