Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Do I have a cyst?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Do I have a cyst?

I am 18. My mother had a cyst when she was 19 and she has had PCOS all of her life. I was tested because of abnormal periods and I'm "at risk" for PCOS and basically have "pre-PCOS". About 4 months ago my cramping from my period got so bad I couldn't sit still or breathe and I had a migraine. My mother made me an appointment with my doctor the next day. My mom thinks it was a cyst rupturing. I was put on a low dose birth control and metformin (which I have stopped the metformin because it made me sick constantly) although I have the birth control, my periods are still somewhat abnormal, and in June I continually took the pill without the placebo because I was on vacation and didn't want to deal with my period although I still had breakthrough bleeding. I had my period at the very end of June and two weeks later I started again in the middle of my pill and I've had my period for about a week and a half now and it is unusually heavy with not much pain after the first week and the blood is somewhat clotty at times and now is clotty and brown sometimes with an odd odor. I have never been sexually active and I use pads not tampons because when I tried a small extra light tampon it hurt and was kinda burning and I haven't used one since and that was over a year ago. Anyways...can someone tell me if this is a sign of a cyst? My ovaries randomly start hurting every now and then. Not extreme pain though. And I've been getting dizzy lately if that makes any difference. Someone please help. I'm not sure what to do anymore and I'm scared to get a papsmear because the tampon hurt so bad.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Irregular taking of birth control pills can play havoc with your natural hormones. This can be one of the reasons or there can be ovarian cysts or pelvic infection or endometriosis etc. In order to make the diagnosis you should consult a gynaecologist. An ultrasound scan of the pelvis will help make the diagnosis. Hope this helps.
Take care and good luck.