Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
How does metformin work for you?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

How does metformin work for you?

I've been on metformin for about a month and a half I take 1500mg/daily. I got my first period with it about 10 days after I started but I didn't have a regular cycle. The cycle only lasted 22days I bleed for 4 days which is the norm for me. I am currently on cd25 waiting for AF. I was wondering has metformin regulated you gals cycle and was it consistent? You know 30, 32, 34 day cycles. If you laedies could tell me your experiences on metformin that would be great. How long did you experience the side effects? I ate fruit yesterday and it went right through me. I thought you shouldn't eat greasy food with it.
I only had side affects the first maybe 2 or 3 weeks when I started it last year. I had the whole upset stomach thing and bathroom issues. But once I started eating better and staying on my diet it helped me to lose close to 60 lbs since 9/14. I also take bcp so I do not know if my cycles are regular yet. I am not TTC yet and me and my boyfriend do have an active sex life, so my doctor put me on the pill since 2007. I look foward to stopping the pill sometime next year to start TTC. I currently take 500mg 2x day, in which i started in Jan 09'. Did you gradually go up to 1500mg or was it right away? I heard that you must start slow on this pill as it will wreak havac with your system. I started in September 08 on 1x a day for 4 months and then started 2x a day in Jan after my appointment. We shall see what my next dose is at the end of this month (I have a next appointment coming up). As far as the food eating, I try to stay away from as much grease and fatty foods as possible. I have no problem with eating fruit and yes sometimes when I do consume to much grease my stomach does get upset.
Yeah I started out on 500mg and my doc increased them by 500mg every 2 weeks afterwards. I've been on 1500mg for about 3 weeks. My stomach gets upset no matter what I eat but it only happens during the day especially if I eat before 1pm. And it doesn't matter if I eat healthy or bad food it still happens.

Can anyone tell me how metformin affected their cycles? If it made them irregular, too long or to short?
Metformin will not help your cycles regulate. It's not ment to do that. Are you any chance overweight? If so, then I was told losing 10% of your body weight will help improve your cycles. I have no knowledge on metformin regulating cycles. This drug is actually intended for diabetes, but it has known affects to help with the side effects of PCOS.
I really don't think being over weight or not helps for me. My cycle has been urregular since I was 13. My weight has been up and down every 2 yrs or so I lost ~50lbs went from 216 to 163 in 2 yrs my periods were still irregular. Now I'm back up to 206 with the same periods every 2-3- months. Doc told me metformin helps regulate your cycle by decreasing the insulin resistance. It's suppose to help your ovaries communicate better with your body and inturn your cycles should become regular. Thank You for your posts.
Thats true. Metformin does help with both insulin resistance and non because this medication is intended for diabetes. I also read, when given to women with pcos it should improve cycles within 3-6 months only if insulin levels are improved. By all rights your doctor should have checked your sugar levels before placing you on metformin, and then repeating the test in about 3 months to see where you stand. A blood test would be the only way to know for sure. It could be that your levels are not where they should be.
I've been on Metformin for about 2 years now and I have nicknamed it the evil pill.  It doesn't matter what I eat, it makes everything go right through me.  So far I haven't had it help me resolve any issues, but I've been told once you get pregnant, by reducing the insulin levels, you reduce the risk of miscarriage and to me the sickness is worth that.