Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
How long does it take for Progesterone pills to work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

I have had PCOS for many years but just recently have been diagnoised.  I have had odd cycles my whole life.  Many lasting up to 40 days.  I am now starting to have problems with having no period at all which my doctor says is not good.  I recently saw my doctor because I had not had a period since April.  At this time he perscribed Medroxyprogestrone for me to take the last 10 days of each month.  He said this would help me get my cycle regularly.  I just finished the first 10 day cycle this past Tuesday and was wondering how long it should take to get a period after this.  Thank you for your time.

Janelle
  • gyno
    Im 25 yrs old and have been married for 4 months. Me and...[more]
  • why not (1 replies):
    I was 7 weeks pregnant in March and Misscarried in March...[more]
  • Ovulation. (1 replies):
    My period usually starts at the begining of the month ar...[more]
  • Coming off the pill (2 replies):
    Hi everyone, I came off the pill just over 4 months ago...[more]
  • irrigular period (2 replies):
    am 30 years old . I have an irrigular period . It's 45 t...[more]
Normally if you just finished the progesterone, it could take up to a week for your cycle to kick in, it will not be immediate. I thought the same thing when they did that with me, as I have always had irregular cycles & PCOS. Just be patient, it will kick in. If you finished Tuesday, you may start this weekend or early next week. Best wishes !
it took a while to figure out exactly how many pills the doctor needed to give me...finally we found that 12 days of progestrone and my period would start the next day..if I took just 10 pills it would take 2 weeks to get here..so the doctor said that we have found my perfect dose.