Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
How long on Metformin before Pregnancy? And what dosage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

I am curious to the average time a woman is on Metformin alone before finding they are pregnant?  What dosage are you on and for how long?

I am currently on 500mg daily.  I only have PCOS and not Thyroid or diabetes along with it.  Just curious as to how the general population is doing.

Side note-the nausea and gas only happened the first few days as I was taking metformin at night.  I moved it to the morning and have been fine.  I also take it halfway during my meal.  No side effects other than fatigue but that also comes from PCOS so I am not sure if that is the med or not.
Hi, I've been on Metformin for 3 months now and I recently learned that I'm 5 weeks pregnant. So, it can happen pretty quick. My first 2 cycles after starting Metformin were perfect 28 day cycles with classic ovulation symptoms on days 11-14. I've never experienced such perfect cycles! For me, Metformin has been a miracle drug. I'm praying that it will not affect my unborn child but coming off of the medication isn't recommended in the first trimester. I hope this helps.
Forgot to answer your question. I take 500mg twice a day.
Congratulations!  That is great to hear.  I actually am seeing my gyno today regarding my dosage and other options.  My husband and I are rather impatient but who isn't?!
I've been taking Metformin for almost a year now, 1500mg/day (3 tablets). In addition to that, I've gone through 4 IUIs with Follistim and am currently doing an IVF. I also have PCOS and a history of no periods without BCP. I have yet to have my BFP! :) My doctor told me that I would stay on Metformin until the end of the first trimester of pregnancy. It is supposed to lower the risk of miscarriage, which is pretty high in women with PCOS.
My doc upped my metformin (as it is supposed to gradually) to 1000mg next cycle and 1500mg the following.  If this doesn't work by June/july (one cycle on each) we will look at Clomid.  

I love how there is no waiting for a year, trying naturally for two BS that doc's spin on things.  If you know there is a problem, don't wait to see if it "goes away" and address it!  Love the proactive and modernized doctors I have in my area!
i have been taking metformin now for nearly two weeks and i know its strange but cant stand my nipples being touched like they are over sensitive and it is very irritaiting if they are touched,has anyone els had this happen to them and do they know why this is happening