Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Is there anyone that the Birth Control Pills did not work for?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Hi Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS.  I am currently taking 500mg Metformin 1xday.  My OB-Gyn has prescribed Ortho-lo.  I have been doing research of my own.  My understanding is that birth control pills may exacerbate the problems in both PCOS1 & PCOS2 ( insulin and non-insulin resistant).

Is there anyone that has had relief with JUST Metformin?
And, for those that have used the combination of Metformin and Birth Control, how is it coming along?

Thanks Everyone.......I am weary of taking hormone, :).
Well I'm on both side of the fences now. I was taking birth control (yasmin) along with Metformin. I took bc for a little over a year on it's own and had no problems. Then in September 2008 I started Metformin 500mg 1x a day along with my bcp. In Jan 2009 I upped the dose of Metformin to 2x a day per my doctor. I stopped my bcp in August 2009 and now am just taking Metormin 500mg 2x a day. So far it seems to be working on it's own. I had a period in August and now a period in September. And they are close in time frame. My first cycle without bcp was 30 days the next was 31 days, so not much of a difference and when i was on bcp I started on the 6th inactive pill. I am not insulin resistance so maybe thats why the pill worked for me.

If you don't want the hormones, then you could try a Copper IUD. It's hormone free and should control your periods.
I was diagnosed with IR PCOS in 2007 & have been on metformin 1500mg a day. I lost 150 lbs, hair stopped thinning and periods are same time every month... not to mention NORMAL and no more pain! :) ive recently been thinking of getting on bcpills so I dont get preggo. Im just weary of which pill to take.