Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Megestrol to stop bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Megestrol to stop bleeding

Has anyone been given Megestrol to stop bleeding.  I tried Provera and it did not work so I was prescribed this stuff.  It seems to have a lot of side effects andif used in the treatment of uterine  and breast cancer.  I am not sure I want to take it.
I never took this drug, but I can say Provera never helped me with my bleeding too. Your right, this drug is used to help treat certain types of cancers and is also given to those with unexplained vaginal bleeding. If you are concerned about the side affects to this drug (but like this drug and 1,000's more, they will always contain side affects) you should speak to your doctor on other options.

What are your symptoms? How long have you been bleeding? Has your doctor prescribed Metformin yet? You might want to check into that.
This issues has been going on for over 2 years.  I asked for Metformin and my Dr refered to to the Joslin Clinic in Boston.  My insulin level is elevated, I have extreme fatigue,I cannot lose weight no matter how much I diet and exercise, hair on head faling out but showing up on my face.  Unfortunately my 1st doctor told me I could cure this by doing 2 hours of cardio a day 7 days a week.  

Hopefully my new doctor will help me!

Thank you!!
You cannot cure PCOS, you can only treat it. I have lost 50+lbs and still feel some effects of my PCOS. I take Metformin 500mg 2x since Jan 2009. I stopped taking my birth control in August 2009 after being on it for 2 years. So far I have had 2 pill free periods and looking forward to the third one this month. I think if you can start on Metformin and a diet plan, it will  work. Start with 5 small meals a day, which includes 3 meals and 2 (sometimes 3) snacks. Take up walking. Try for 30 minuets a day and work up to an hour. I did that and lost 50 lbs.
Hi:

I recently did take megesterol to stop my menses which had been lasting for 3 weeks. It stopped after 1.5 days!!! I had pulmonary embolism after having gallbladder surgery, in 2008, while taking Yaz, otherwise have no genetic factors for clotting, but I was very fearful of taking this med due to the side effects and possible clotting. I took my last dose lastnight (for the 6 days I was prescribed) and, so far, am OK. I hope I continue to be once it's out of my system. I had tests, all negative, thankfully, except for probable endometrial polyps, PCOS, and will continue my metformin and diet regimen, which should help. Eating less complex carbohydrates, also helps. One thing I realized while on it was that it had helped my recent anxiety diminish, so I am concerned with a hormone imbalance for myself (low progesterone). This may be something you may want to consider having tested, as it can cause chaos in the body! Just a thought. Hope this helps and best wishes with your recovery!!