Menstrual Cramps for 2 weeks but no period
Hi, I am 24 and me and my partner of 8 years have just started trying for a baby. I was told 2 years ago that I have PCOS after years of complaining of irregular periods the doctors finally sent me for blood tests and an internal scan which confirmed I had PCOS. I have been off of the pill for about a year and for the first time without using protection or the pill me and my partner started trying for a baby 15 days ago (06/05/13). 2 days after that (08/03/13 I started to get menstrual pains and felt like my period was coming. I went to the toilet and there was a bit of pinky blood on the tissue. Then the next day (09/05/13) I still had the cramps and in the morning had some blood on the tissue. I have had no more bleeding since then however I have had the cramps every day since all day and all night and they are getting worse. Also I have had a lot of clear watery discharge coming out all the time. Since coming off of the pill I didnt have a period for a few months and then from September to February I was having a period every month. Since February I have had no period. I took a pregnancy test yesterday (20/05/13) but it was negative but it had only been 14 days since intercourse and I think this may still be too early. I was just wondering what you all think the cramps and discharge might be and if any of you have had the same thing happen to them? These cramps are so painful and I keep thinking my period is going to come but it doesnt. Also is 2 weeks still too early to take a test because my one yesterday said negative. Can I still get pregnant without having a period because of ovulation? Thanks so much! Lauren  
Hi Lauren,
How are you? Yes, one can get pregnant even if there is no period if ovulating during sexual contact. The best time to check with a urine pregnancy test is usually one week after the expected period.  Though, the symptoms may be caused by hormonal changes, you can also try the more accurate serum Hcg pregnancy test, which may be done 2 weeks after contact. Hope this helps. Take care and best regards.
Hi Dr Santos,
Thank you so much for your comment. I took a pregnancy test which was a paper test strip (not sure if these are as good as the chemist or supermarket ones) yesterday which would have been 3 weeks since our first unprotected intercourse and it was negative. About an hour after I took the test I had one last look at it before throwing it away and there was a very very faint second line. I think this may have been an evaporation line as I know after 10 mins results are invalid. Should I get a digital test and try in a few days? The discharge and menstrual cramps have stopped. I have now got very bad lower back pain and my breasts are a little sore and my nipples are quite sensitve and every now and then I get a pain in them. Im not sure what is going on. Lauren
I would take another test just to be sure.
I took a clear blue digital test this morning and it said not pregnant. I am going to wait another week and take another test. Lauren