Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Metformin - Never-Ending period + Weight GAIN?!?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Hi all,

I am a 24-year old female who has recently been diagnosed with PCOS approximately one month ago. I'm taking 1500mg Metformin which has greatly reduced my appetite and increased my energy levels. My clothes fit slightly better and those close to me have said I look smaller.

Additionally, about 5 days after first taking Metformin I started spotting and a weel after that I got my period for the first time in 3 months. That was 23 DAYS ago and I'm still bleeding. I didn't really mind since I was glad to actually just have a period at this point.

THEN....today I had a pre-employment medical done and was weighed for the first time since starting the meds and the scale showed a 13lb weight gain!!!!! WTH!!!!! Needless to say I was shocked and in disbelief. I felt so utterly demotivated. The doctor said a lot of this seems to be water retention but 13 lbs??? I will admit I have not been exercising much because of the fatigue brought on by this extended period but I have been monitoring my carb/sugar intake. I NEVER drink sodas, stay away from most sweets, rarely eat bread, almost never eat pasta or high fat food so what is going on?

I'm so, so, so tired of this. PCOS is ruining my life. I've gained 90 pounds in 4 years and I'm just so sick of it. I want to give up. Please give me some advice.
Tags: Weight gain, metformin, Reproductive Healthvy period
I know ehat u r going through. I hsve the same problem and I feel the same way. I just feel dummed.
I was diagnoised last year and I had a similar problem. I started taking the Metformin and loss a couple pounds, gained some energy and didn't want to eat as much as before. That said I also went through a D&C in May of last year followed by the heaviest period of my life in July. I had to get a medication from the doctor to stop the bleeding and the little weight I had loss came back. Once I got the bleeding under control and I continued the Metformin I found the weight was slowly coming off (I do mean slowly) since last August I have lost about 30 lbs mostly with the Metformin and trying to eat better. My suggestion to you is see you doctor about the bleeding because that isn't normal and don't give up. I have kind of hit a wall at a loos of 30 lbs but I am trying to get pass the wall and keep going. Please know you are not alone in this battle. A lot of women have similar problems and talking helps.
I have the same issue dont worry. I gain 13lbs myself. I didnt even know i was sick for months. I thought i was depressed with no energy, unmotivated, and slept all the time. One day my mother said i looked really sick and did and blood sugar test. I tested at 288 fasting  and thats when i found out i had diabetes at 33 yrs old. I think was sick from a few years back but this is when i really knew. During the period i got really sick I urinated 7 times a day and 4 times at night. I was always thirsty . I went from 205lbs to 165 . At 165lbs I started metformin and glipizide in two weeks time i was in the 175- 178lbs. I was also shocked and in search for answers until i saw your post and now know im not alone. Thanks for sharing