475740 tn?1208266465
Metformin Alternatives
I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. I really want to lose weight and I know I gotta take the Metformin but it makes me very nauseous. The diarrhea I can handle but not the nausea, so I haven't been taking it. I see an endocrinologist Wednesday. I was wondering if there's an alternative to Metformin/Glucophage without the nausea side effects. If there's not how long does it take until you get used to the side effects?
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Ask about getting Byetta. I had the same problem with metformin. The byetta has controlled my blood sugars and my pcos.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
534933 tn?1213397099
I don't know if anything else, I take metformin 1000mgs a day, and at first it kept me with the runs and I lost 20lbs but, then after my body got use to the meds I gained it all back.. I am going to start a liquid diet.. if that doesn't help then I am going to look into Weight Loss surgery.. I am close to 250lbs my biggest is 255.. and I am 5'6 I think that my weight has alot to do with all my health problems and not being able to get PG.. so I need to lose weight some how.. I am tired of yo-yo dieting... good luck...
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
541196 tn?1293556536
I started metformin about 3 weeks ago.  My side effects diminished within about a week and a half.  I took a dose with food at breakfast and another dose at dinner.  I just kept telling myself that in the drug statement paperwork it said "your doctor has prescribed this medication because he/she has weighed the benifits greater than the risks or side effects".  

I take it for diabetes and PCOS.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community Resources