Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Metformin and Missed Period
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Metformin and Missed Period

I was previously diagnosed with PCOS and endometriosis. The endo hasn't been too horrible since I had laser surgery for it about 9 or 10 years ago. The problems with the PCOS really flared up after having my daughter 3 years ago. Took quite a while to figure out what was going on. I finally went to see a reproductive endo, even though I'm not TTC. He had me meet with a nutritionist and got me on a modified carb "lifestyle". I have (suspected) reactive hypoglycemia and a family history of hypoglycemia. So, I'm also on Metformin to keep my sugar stable as well as hopfully get my hormones regulated. It appears I have periods, but don't always ovulate. Throughout my life, my cycles have ranged anywhere frm 21-42 days. The past few months, they've been between 27-29. I started on the Metformin on March 12. I had begun my last cycle March 9. Normal cycle, ended about March 16. March 20, I started spotting brown. Sometimes had clots, sometimes just a light brown, sometimes darker. Spoke with the nurse who thought I might have had a "traumatic ovulation" (whatever that means!). The spotting ended about March 25. It is now day 36 of my cycle and I have not started. I have had mild cramps on and off for the past week and a half, but nothing to show for it. I have also not had tender breasts, which normally occurs with my PMS. Although I have not taken a pregnancy test yet, the chances of me being pregnant are right next to impossible! Even my endo joked that the methods my husband and I use to ensure we don't get pregnant are one step away from just having him go to the bathroom! Lol. Plus, due to all my issues, we don't do anything that can create pregnancy very often. We are overly careful with protection and pay attention to detail. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue on Metformin, or at all. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I will be taking a pregnancy test today or tomorrow, so when I call my doctor I can give him confirmation that I am not pregnant. I just figured I'd ask in the meantime.
Thanks!