Metformin and Periods!
I have been on Metformin for 6 months now. Before taking metformin, my cycles could last up to 6 months without a period. So, I started meformin and my periods began getting normal. Started off 42 days per cycle, then worked its way down to holding steady at 35 days per cycle. Then this month, jumprs back up to 48 days in the cycle!!! How long does it take for Metformin to even stuff out enough to make cycles consistant? I have lost 37 lbs (17% body weight) and I just don't know what else I can do to make my cycles more normal! SOOOO tired of the pregnancy thoughts each month! My fiance and I are not actively TTC, but each month I think that I might be because of my cycle lengths! It is SOOO frustrating! Any advice???
I've been researching this topic and have found that it can take as long as up to a year to restore a normal menstrual cycle. Some cases it may take 3-6 months, but I have read also up to a year. It just depends on how well your body reacts to it. And not in all cases is the weight an issue. Allot of women at a healthy weight have issues with a normal period each month too. I know how frustrating it is to wait for your period and it not be regular each month. Have you been under any stress? That could also have some effects of delaying the period in some months. I think I read on another post that you can't take birth control pills due to the hormones (am I correct?) or I could I have you mixed up with another lady. I've been on metformin since 9/14/08 and I'm dying to know if my cycles are regular, but I am on birth control pills at the moment and probably wont know until next year. What's the dosage you take of metformin? I take 500mg 2x a day. Like I said, it can take up to a year to restore the normal cycle (or somewhat normal cycle give or take a day or two).
You are right, I can not take birth control pills because I had blood clots in my leg after having my son. So NO birth control for me!!! I take 1000 mg once a day. I really hope that my period evens out eventually. It is causing some emotional strain at this point too. Since i said we are not actively TTC, a baby would be a very welcomed addition to our family. So every month, we go through the same thing. It is SOOO frustrating! Do you use the BBT method to determine ovulation? I am considering starting to follow my temps just to see when I ovulate and try to figure out some sort of pattern or something!
Nope, I use no tracking of ovulation at this point. It might be a good idea to start tracking to see if you notice a patten. Also it might give you more knowledge of your cycle and be more familiar with it. Just remember when you take temps, you have to try and keep that same time everyday so you will be sure to get a correct reading.

Congrats on the weight loss! You've made fabulous improvements!
I'm thinking about BBT also I've been taking metformin since April 09 and my periods have been btwn 22-33 days. I take 1500mg/day. My bf and I were ttc but we decided to chill this month so I don't take the femara 5mg that the RE prescribed me last month. I think I ovulated last month bc I had midcycle spotting which could have been implantation bleeding or ovulation. I beleive it to be ovulation bc AF showed up 16-17 days later after this spotting occurred so I'm thinking I ovulated late. I have lots of anxiety and it started 3 weeks ago I thought it was caused by PMS but AF is gone and the anxiety is still here. I'm not worried about anything I just have the feeling of being anoxious do you think this could be caused by metformin?
Let me know how the BBT works for you. I was also going to do OPK next month my sister used OPK for a whole month and she said it never gave her the 2 lines that she was ovulating but she must have bc she is preggers now.
Good Luck to You!!!
Thanks for the advice ladies! This really is a pain, and I just hope the metformin continues to make improvements! :-)