Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Missing a dose of metformin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Missing a dose of metformin

I am 16 and have got PCOS . I had a cyst removed around 6months ago due to lack of periods this was supposed to cure that but it didn't and I haven't had a period since my op. I never went to see my doc as I'm scared she will question and put all my problems down to my weight (which I am trying hard to shift) so when I got the guts (with the help of mummy) my doc put me on metformin (1 a day for a week then 2 a day)

I just increased it to 2 a day recently but have been unwell for a while so yesterday I took only 1 and today haven't taken any.

My question is bascially how will this effect me? by decreasing my dose is there a major problem with how long my periods will take to start? and by missing one day will I have a major problem?

thank you
It shouldn't hurt anything if you missed one day. What my doctor told me to do was take 1 a day for a week,  then move up to 2 a day for a week and finally 3 a day permanently. However, He also told me that the meds might have some side effects and basically if I couldn't tolerate the side effects don't move the doasge up. He also said if I moved the doasge up and didn't feel well bring it back down. All you are trying to do is build up the medication in your system so if you can't handle the doasge it isn't the end of the world but you need to talk to your doctor about how the medication makes you feel.