Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
No Period for 8 months & No treatment. Is this normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

I'm 31. I've had PCOS for at least 12 years...10 of which, I have gone without treatment.
Back when I got diagnosed the endocrinologist put me on Demulen 30 and Aldactone. I took that for about 6 months in efforts to regulate my periods. It worked for a little bit, than - nothing.
I got really discouraged (and depressed), and I was suffering from horrible periods (long, and heavy) so I stopped taking anything. I was like that for about 10 years. I also stopped going to the doctor about it, because I felt like I was getting nowhere.

About a year ago, I went through a course of time where I didn't have a period in 6 months (and no, I knew I definately wasn't pregnant)... Back to the doctor I went. I am seeing a OB/Gyn right now, who put me on Diane 35, and offered HRT (If I was interested).

He claims that as long as I am not trying to get pregnant, than no period is no big deal.
I kind of question this logic. I mean: What kind of effect is this having on my uterus?? That's not to mention the size of cysts that I am forming...because my ovaries are still functioning.

I've had 2 transvaginal U/S done in the last 4 months monitoring one of my cysts in particular. My last pap came back abnormal, as well as the endometrial biopsy I had done. It's been 8 months now, since I had a period.  Am I rightfully concerned about the effects this could be having?
I had the same thought after reading this - The risk of developing endometrial cancer (cancer of the uterine lining) is associated with obesity, irregular periods, high blood pressure and diabetes, all of which I have except the diabetes. These conditions are common in women with PCOS. Endometrial cancer is approximately 3 times more frequent in women with PCOS. Women with PCOS, who are experiencing irregular or no periods, are often given progesterone to induce a withdrawal bleed every 3 months. This minimises the risk of endometrial cancer. I too had been told by a doctor that unless I wanted a baby having no period was fine! After reading this that was given to me by my natural fertility specialist I think not!!!!