Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
PCOS and Endometriosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

PCOS and Endometriosis

Hello Friends! I am 22 years old and was diagnosed with PCOS in April 2011 after a blood test and 2 ultrasounds.  My symptoms include irregular periods, facial/body acne, abnormal hair growth, and hair loss.  

I have been taking Loestrin 24 for a few months now.  While it seems to have helped the acne a little, I have not had my period in 3 months (I have been taking the medication at the same time every day and am supposed to have a period each month).  Since I started taking the pill I have had progressively more severe abdominal pain in the days leading up to my 'period'.  This includes sharp pains in my midsection (especically in the lower back), fatigue, diarrhea, and there is an occasional loud 'rumbling' in my lower abdomen.  As stated earlier, I have the menstrual effects but do not actually have a period.  

After doing some online research, my symptoms sound consistent with endometriosis. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to tell me about your endometriosis symptoms?  Especially those of you with PCOS and endometriosis...how were you diagnosed?

Thanks for your feedback and support :)
I am 22 as well and have both endometriosis and PCOS. I found out I had entometriosis in 2007 after having lots of back pain and urinating blood. They couldn't figure out where it was coming from so they did a laproscope and found that I had endometriosis and burnt what they could off. It wasn't until about 2 years ago that doctors realized I also had PCOS. I had been on the pill since 7th grade (When I orginally got my period in 5/6th grade it would come about every 4 months and last like 3 weeks and be very painful) they put me on the pill to regulate my period and I had been on it since October of 2010. I was told the pill was the only way to keep the endometriosis and PCOS at bay. However, I still had excess hair growth, acne, mood changes, and extreme fatigure. I was INCREDIBLY frustrated by going to doctor after doctor, switching birth controls, getting hormones tested (which makes so sense when you are on a birth control pill that is giving you hormones). I had been seeing an accupuncture since June of 2010 who suggested I come off the pill, but decided against it. However, the accupuncture worked WONDERS when it came to my fatigue and moods and after taking about every depression medicine in the book I was completely pill free and awake without feeling need for naps in the middle of the day. By august when I went back to college I felt like a new person. I was so excited to be awake and feeling like a normal person who wasn't yawning by 2 in the afternoon. Around October my accupuncturist suggested again that I think about coming off the pill and at that point I was so tired of western medicine and drugs that weren't really working for me anyway that I did stop the pill. My moods are still good, however my acne has continued to be bad and the hair growth on the face is even worse. I didn't think that was possible. I am still so frustrated since I was a girl who even going through puberty didn't have acne. Now, I'm developing acne scares because I get it so much and its so frustrating and embarrasing. I used to say the hair was the worst and I could deal with the acne, but since I am allergice to all the good acne medication with benzoyl peroxide or sufla, the acne is becoming just as big of a problem. The hair on my chin and lip I started to shave so I could get laser hair removal done (you can't pluck or wax for about 2 months before the procedure so shaving was my option) I now feel like I get a 5 oclock shaddow! Its not as bad as it for men and all, but it is still soooo frustrating. I am 22 and shouldn't have to deal with this. I am a pretty confident girl who has always took pride in her appearance and never had any problems finding a date. I now am starting to be incredibly self conscious about the hair growth and acne and am debating whether to say scew the accupuncture and go back to trying western medicine to try to control it some. Part of the reason I am doing the accpuncture though and decided to come off the pill was the fact that I realized if I am having this much trouble now, I can't imagine what it would be like when I am actually ready to have children and how many years it might take to try to regulate my hormones or the expense of fertility treatments. It just recently hit me that the chances of ever having a child with PCOS and edmoteriosis are incredbily low. No, I have no boyfriend or plans to get married and have children anytime soon, but It is still in the back of my mind. I am still not sure what to do. In terms of symptoms as you asked, they are quite the same as yours with the low back pain and almost a feeling like you can feel your ovaries or like you are ovulating. It is so wierd. The pain however is much much better with the accupuncture. Recently, he figured out how to loosen up my inner hip muscles and the muscles that runs along the mid lower back kind of up the spine that always seems tight and painful. That has been a huge relief. I honesty can deal with the pain and the looss of period, I haven't had it since February. It is all the other symptoms with hair growth and acne that are sincerely the hardest to deal with it. I feel like I am an old lady going through menopaus. It is also something SUPER hard to talk about with other friends and girls because you feel completely weird that you have hair places they don't. Dealing with the pain before the accupuncture was also very hard especially in college when you literally have to lay in bed with a heating pad and your teachers just don't understand if they do not have it. I swear this response felt like a big ***** fest lol and I am sure you are now dreading what is to come. One thing I have learned is that no one deals with things the same or has the exact same symptoms. Do know however you are not alone at being 22 and now having to navigate these diseases. If you ever need anything feel free to message back.