Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
PCOS and abdominal pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

PCOS and abdominal pain

Hi Everyone -

I'm not sure if I'm worried about nothing here, but here goes....

About a year ago I started having a dull pain in my left lower abdomen, so saw a dr. and then gynecologist about that.  They did an ultrasound in January 2010 and told me it's likely PCOS on my left ovary, possibly a bit of endometriosis, but can't be 100% sure unless they did exploratory surgery.  I had declined that and was put on Yaz to keep my hormones level.  

A couple of months ago (which was also when I went back to work after taking some time off to be with my mom who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer), this pain came back.  I've since been for a mammogram (I'm 32, so they started me early due to family history of ovarian cancer), which was perfectly normal, had a breat MRI which was perfectly normal, and was now sent for a CA125 blood test and pelvic ultrasound.  CA125 is 24, which is still normal (under 35), and I understand that things like endometriosis can elevate the levels.  Pelvic ultrasound showed that the uterus is normal, endometrium is 5mm thick, and right ovary is normal.  No sign of a mass or anything.  They said they couldn't see the left ovary clearly, but didn't sound concerned.  I asked if there's any suspicion for cancer and they said no.  However, now that I've had time to think about this, I still question how they can feel that things are 'normal' if they can't see the left ovary clearly.  Any thoughts on that?  Am I worrying for nothing?  And I don't know if I'm imagining things or not, but I think the pain is a bit less if I eat less sugar and really focus on healthy things.  What do the rest of you do to deal with PCOS?

Thanks in advance for any input :-)

Aglaia
Just to follow up, the pain had gone away for three weeks, but now is back.  I have another doctor's appointment on December 6th when I'm hoping to find out more.  Has anyone else had this?  Specific questions I should be asking?