Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
PCOS and anxiety and Depression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

PCOS and anxiety and Depression

My daughter is 25 years old and has been married for 3 years.  She was diagnosed with PCOS this year.  She has been trying to get pregnant for a year.  She tried hormone treatment for a couple of months and she tried Clomid for 1 month.  She was not happy with the way the medication made her feel.  Moody.  However, now she is experiencing increasing anxiety and depression.  What can be done to alleviate these symptoms?  We are open to herbal remedies as well as traditional remedies and anything that anyone has had success with.  Thank you.
I am also 25 years old and I have PCOS. I am not married or trying to have children, but I might be able to offer some help.

In regards to your daughter, I have done a lot of research on PCOS and have discovered that through trying to figure out the right methods of treatment, while still experiencing PCOS symptoms and if someone is trying to conceive, dealing with not being able to get pregnant; all together can cause anxiety and depression. I started feeling this way after discovering I have PCOS, getting on Metformin, getting off Metformin, getting on birth control (Yaz), not seeing a difference and having increased pains, until eventually having to get on Zoloft. I first tried herbal remedies. I went to Whole Foods (Natural food store) and bought a bottle of Serenity. It seems to help some with sleeping and anxiety. You can find it online or read about it at:  www.gaiaherbs.com

I also tried other natural vitamins, such as 5HTP which I got from Wal-Mart. There are a lot of other herbal meds you can try, but I would try to stay away from St. Johns Wart. I tried that, and it can cause break through bleeding if you are taking the pill. I am sure your daughter is not taking the pill at this time, if she is try to get pregnant, but I would stay away from that herbal med just in case.

The other recommendation that I would make is for your daughter to talk with a nutritionist or read "The Natural Diet Solution for PCOS and Infertility" I started the diet and it REALLY helped with my symptoms. Some of the reviews about the book are related to women who are/were trying to conceive, and after getting on the diet, they were able to conceive very quickly. You can buy an online version of the book in PDF form, which is what I did to save time and money. I enjoy the recipes that are included and suggestions about what to eat and what not to eat. I was able to lose weight and feel better in life. I saw my symptoms slowly decrease.  

Basically when a woman has PCOS, their bodies are resisting insulin and it causes a lot of side of affects. Their hormones are all over the place, which increases testosterone levels, facial hair, acne, obesity or loss of weight, infertility and much more.That is why there are cysts in the overies of a woman with PCOS that cause a "necklace" affect. Women with PCOS do not have the proper hormone levels to allow for the process of ovulation to fully occur.With that, trying to control your hormones with food that is not insulin resistant food (milk, grains…etc) can help in keeping your body healthy, allowing you (your daughter) to conceive, keeping away the anxiety and depression…etc. It takes time, but some reviews of the book say after someone tried the diet they were able to get pregnant 5 days after starting the diet!!!! I don’t know if it will work for everyone, but I tried it and it worked with helping me get rid of my symptoms. (Random periods, depression, anxiety, facial hair growth, acne…etc) Again, I am not currently trying to conceive, so I have not tried the diet while trying to get pregnant at the same time. The diet is very hard, but I would at least give it a try.
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/pcos-book-res.html

I do not know you or you daughter, but I will be praying for you. PCOS can be very hard to deal with, and I do not look forward to dealing with it when I do eventually try to have children. God bless you and your daughter…and remember it is always a part of His plan as to what life holds for us all. If she is unable to have children or she cannot get rid of the anxiety and depression, then God is using her in some way. She is brilliant and faithful to Him if she is able to figure out how he is using her, instead of feeling betrayed or hurt by God. (That is good advice for me to remember too) I forget alllll the time and I have to remember that God is in control of my life. He always has been! Good luck!!!

Lacie