Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
I have recently turned 17 and been diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, however my GP wants me to get 2 internal scans (TV and TA) to see if I have polycystic ovaries, and I'm honestly just scared and confused on what to do.
I have most symptoms of PCOS, and I have only had my period 2 times over 4 fours, but I don't know to handle this. I have anxiety and at the moment this is increasing.
It feels like I have to change everything, I have to have a diet of not much sugar or fat because of diabetes (also family history), I have to go on the pill otherwise it increasing my chances of cervical cancer, however I smoke as well, so I have to give up (which is a extremely positive thing), and I have to wax areas of my body because if the excess hair, and cannot lost weight at all. My GP also told me if I wanted to get pregnant in the future, I would have to look at medication and IVF, and maybe even surgery.
I understand that a lot of women go through this, I just don't know how to handle this at all, I feel so lost.
PCOS is a condition that many women deal with and what it needs is a regular treatment and lifestyle modification. A regular exercise programme, dietary modification in consultation with a dietician will help you reduce weight and also improve the hormonal milieu. Also quitting smoking and proper management of diabetes will do wonders for your health. Hence an ultrasound scan, blood work and hormonal assay must be done to know the exact status of PCOS. Consult a gynaecologist and an endocrinologist for an evaluation.
Hope this helps.
Thank you so much, this helps me a lot. It has shown me what to do, you know the first steps of having no where to go.
Thank you!
I completely understand how you feel. I was just diagnoised last month and I sort of had a major meltdown because it is a lot to take in all at once. So far the things I find helping the most is talking to other people about it and walking. Lots of walking. I started walking the day after the doctor told me I had PCOS and that losing the weight could help me a lot. I also joined weight watchers. It is seriously slow going and I have excepted that. My husband and I have been married for 2 years this year and we are going to start to try and start a family. God willing no special help from the doctors but we will have to wait and see. I wish you the best of luck and I hope knowing your not alone helps as much as it has helped me.
I think I might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome too. I need to talk to my doctor. I have irregular periods. I been trying to get pregnant for 4 years now and i had 6 miscarriages. I wonder what cani do to cure this problem?