Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Prolonged periods-sign of anovulation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Prolonged periods-sign of anovulation?

My menstrual cycles since stopping the oral contraceptive (May 2010) have been progressively longer and longer.
More specifically since May I have had 4 periods with duration of 33, 35, 46, 54 days. I have had an ultrasound where the dr saw some cysts and he suggested polycystic ovaries. My hormone tests though came out normal.  I cannot see any pattern in those and I have read that longer than 35 days possibly indicate unovulation, is it true? If yes does that mean that I am infertile without medication? Because from what I can guess none of the previous cycles past the oral contraceptive have been fertile.
Not neccessarily all I can say it try taking temps or using opk sticks to determine if u are ovulating sometimes it takes a while for your body to get back to the way it use to be. I been off of mirena for 1 year and my cycles are anywhere from 25-42 days long. So I started charting my temps, but every month I always miss the beginning of my cycle, but if i am not pregnant this cycle I am going to chart the beginning of this cycle..but i'm pretty sure I ovulated this cycle cause my temps have been high
I would say yes that you are not ovulating like me.  It sounds like imbalanced hormones.  I'm assuming your estrogen and testosterone levels are high and your progesterone is low, again like me.  
Conventional doctors don't do a detail blood work like holistic medical doctors do.  Believe me, they drew blood from me for 6 years of being diagnosed with PCOS and to their surprised I was diagnosed with stage 1 uterine cancer.  They found a polyp and it was cancerous after they removed it and did a D&C.  They found this polyp by accident and I had to demand my doctor for this ultrasound because I didn't feel right, I felt like crap for a year.  I refused to just accept of having PCOS, and told to go on the pill to regulate my period and consider adoption and get on with my life, NO I said. Thanks to support of my friends who were nurses I spoke up.  

What I was told by my holistic MD was that my progesterone levels were VERY low causing longer periods that I also had very high estro and testo.  Estro and Progest never crossed paths which they should cause you to ovulate.  He found this through a saliva testing.

So seek alternative help conventional and holistic.  Watch your diet; avoid eating foods that can spike your estrogen levels.  Eat organic foods; limit your intake of starchy, sugary, and fried foods.  If you enjoy reading books, check out Suzanne Somers book: BREAKTHROUGH.  Be positive and have a strong faith that you'll get through it.  Best of luck to you!  
thanks for your answers. However it seems that I do ovulate indeed as I am now 6 weeks pregnant already. I guess it was just an irregularity of my period.
Thanks again for your time!