Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Take metformin while pregnant for how long?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

I am so confused i have pcos and was told to take metformin to get my cycle going which never really worked for me for with the help of clomid got pregnant. I am 13w now and my endocrinologist  says to take if for 20weeks, on my 1st visit at 7weeks the NP said  take it throughout the whole pregnancy. on my last visit at 12weeks my ob says stop around 16weeks. I mean seriously i have no clue who to follow. Any advice ...
20 weeks. It helps to reduce the chances of miscarriage in those with pcos.
Last week my endo told me some like to keep you on it for the first trimester while others like to keep you on it the entire pregnancy.  It's seems subjective and that there isn't one right answer.
Wow, I was told by my GP to go off it completely whilst trying to get pregnant as it can harm the baby.  Maybe he was wrong!
I am currently pregnant, but not on metformin. my doctor and i did talk about going on it while I was trying to get pregnant and they said if i did get pregnant while on it, it is best to stay on till between 16-20 weeks, but it does sound like it is very subjective by Dr, maybe do a little research on your own!
i was told i have to take my metformin throughout pregnancy... as i have suffered from miscarriages with every pregnancy...

i think its different for circumstances though.. i am currently on clomid and metformin.. so i have hopeful... for the first time in a long time!

good luck to all :)

xxxxxx