Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Too early to test for pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Too early to test for pregnancy?

Hi!  I have been diagnosed with PCOS and my husband and I have been ttc for 2 years now.  I had ovarian drilling surgery on April 28th and my first period (without medication) started on April 30th.  I received a positive ovulation test (which have lied to me before from my pcos so I have a hard time believing them) on May 14th.  I have had very irregular periods for the last 5 years so I am not sure how long my periods should last.  I do remember in High School I had periods that ranged between approximately 30-35 days (if I am remembering correctly).  My question is, could it possibly be too early to receive a positive pregnancy test?  I took one today (34 days since last period) and it was a negative, but I took in it the afternoon and I think the hormone is best in the morning.....I should have waited!  Obviously my period has not started yet, but I have had every symptom in the book for two weeks including sore breasts, sensitive nipples, blue veins in breasts, nausea (sometimes in the mornings, sometimes in the middle of the day), dizziness, headaches, fatigue, gassiness (tmi??) and today lots of cramping.  Also, I'm not sure if this is a symptom or not, but I feel like my heart is pounding out of my chest and much faster than normal.  I really really believe I am pregnant, but I can't confirm it with a positive test.  It's driving me CRAZY!  What do you think?  How much longer should I continue testing before believing them?
You have to remember sometimes with women who have pcos, the opk are not 100% correct. I've have seen allot of ladies on here with pcos and saying they have also recv'd a + on an opk and it's not always right. It's hard to tell how long you should wait until you retest, seeing that your periods were not regular. I would suggest to retest 1 week after the last time you checked. If by then you have your period, then you have your answer, if not take a pregnancy test and see the outcome. If it says your not pregnant and you still have no period, I would consult your doctor just to be on the safe side. Allot of women sometimes always have a negative urine test, and need a hcg blood test to confirm pregnancy. Also pregnancy symptoms are so similar to period like symptoms, so we can't always take that as a sign. Thats why allot don't realize they are pregnant until weeks later.
Nevermind.  AF showed up today.  The mind can really play tricks on you.  I guess I should be happy that I just got af at all.  Thanks for you help.
Sorry to hear your AF showed up. And your right the mind will play tricks on you, very cruel tricks I might add. Take care.
Just read your post and saw that you already got AF...I just wanted to say although it wasn't what you were hoping for...with PCOS getting AF on your own is a good sign that you are going in the right direction so keep trying!  Good Luck.
Thanks Melissa!