Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Upper abdominal & belly button area pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Hi, I'm having pain around my belly button and up upper abdomen area during my period, it hurts when I get up from sitting and also painful when I'm walking it's almost like a pulling feeling. Has anyone else experienced this? and do you know what may cause this? It doesn't happen every month, last time was in October and now again in March, normally I get normal cramps and I'm almost always 28 days between periods but in Oct. it was about 23 days and now this month it was 41 days. I missed work on Friday due to the pain, advil doesn't seem to work like it does with normal cramps. Could this be something serious?  Is this caused by ovarian cysts?  
if u have PCOS it probably the cysts r rupturing. they usually rupture after u ovulate, right before ur period or at the beginning of ur cycle. hope i was helpful.
i dont know much but ive always been told that if the pain is higher up its more likely your gut, i too have pains just above my belly button, ive been tested for pcos and been refered to a gastro- something or other, to do with your gut and bowels basicly.
but like i said i dnt know many things lol
I have the same pain that you described. I have been diagnosed with PCOS, though I don't seem to have many of the other symptoms that go with it. (weight, facial hair, irregular periods or difficulty conceiving) The first few days of my period many months I get a constant ache from my belly button up - right now I am walking gingerly and slumped over while holding this area. Sometimes this develops into a sharp stabbing pain that comes at regular intervals - every few seconds. Other references to PCOS and pain on the internet seem to involve the lower abdomen, but mine is much higher up. I don't know if it's related or not, but I can't imagine what else it could be.
Do you get this pain every month?  Early last year for a few months I was experiencing belly button pain during my period for a few months but it was mild.  Then in Oct. it was painful I spent almost 2 days in bed and now in March the same pain again but for the months in between no pain at all, normal period some months cramps others no cramps.  
You are describing the exact same pain I have.  I can't believe someone else deals with this. It's worse than labor pain!  Have you found anything out about this yet?  I've been through doctor after doctor for 10 years and nobody is listening to me. My husband and I had wanted more kids, but I can't deal with this pain anymore -- I give up!  I don't want to try to convince even one more doctor to listen to me.
Finally I have found someone with the same pains as me, although my belly button actually bruises around the sides and to the bottom left!  It can be agony sometimes and is always around the time of my period.  I had this for years while I was on the pill and 7 GP's found nothing wrong with me, even had ultrasound and internal scans.  it then stopped when I came off the pill but has started again.  It can be agony sometimes and very depresing to have constant pain.  I have very mild PCOS and can only assume its linked to that because of the timing????
hi i have pcos nd have pain in my belly like butterfly pain i dont know what it is
Its frustrating because I was coming on my period like every 21 to 17 days for like 3 months I started backing taking progesterone feb. 6th its unhealthy not to menustrate but all in the month of dec I was involved physically now wondering after 2 neg preg tests could I be preg the pain at the top of my stomach the last time I was pregnant is present. I think I'm so obsessed with becoming pregnant then decide to wait on the lord