Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Vitex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Vitex

I was diagnosed with PCOS many years ago and have been trying to conceive for awhile now. The first part of May, I started taking Vitex (has anybody tried it?) and had my normal period May 22nd. June 8th I had clear mucus discharge and assumed I was ovulating. I missed my period in June. Starting a couple days ago I've been nauseous, gassy, and having diarrhea. I don't want to jump to any conclusions or mislead myself so I thought I would stop here and ask an opinion or two. The nausea comes when im hungry and after i eat its replaced with diarrhea and/or gas. I figured that the side effects from Vitex would have happened by now but I know it takes awhile to build up in your system. Has anybody taken Vitex? Did it work? Any side effects? Thanks for your help!
Amy
I'll have to do some research on this. I have no knowledge of Vitex. Is your period late?
My last period was May 22nd.
Thanks for checking, im looking too! =))
Have you taken a pregnancy test yet? This is July, so you missed your period in June.
No, not yet, guess im scared to. I miss them here and there. I plan on doing one tomorrow though.
Let us know what the outcome is!!
Vitex usually takes up to 3 months to build up in your system, I tried it after I found that I was not ovulating but it doesn't work the same for everyone! Take a test girl!
Hey Amy!
I was happy to find this current posting about Vitex.  Because I am looking to share my experience with other people as well.  I'm taking it right now.  I think I am ovulating for the first time in my life because I have a lot of ovarian pain (and I was recently tested for cysts that came back negative last month).  I started taking it this year in the beginning of April.  (I was on the pill for 7 years up until last July, so I haven't had normal periods since.) Anyways, it has somewhat elongated my cycle, as my cycle was only 18 days, it has stretched to 22 (i'll take IT!, lol)

Anyways, I get nauseous, and gassy.  Boy do I ever get gassy! (I know, too much info right? haha).  I haven't had that much gas since I took Avandia (another fertility drug), so I guess thats a good thing? I think it definitely has something to do with hormonal change.  SO that being said, I think you are experiencing normal things....I hope you are pregnant! and if not, I'm sure you will be soon.  

Another tip is to get tested for celiac/gluten intolerance.  Google it.  85% of woman with pcos have celiac disease.  If you haven't heard of it before, its not a 'disease' per say (its an autoimmune disorder) and really, its just an intolerance to eating gluten (found in wheat, rye, barely) AND you would probably benefit by going off of it (stop eating gluten that is).  But just get a test first from your doctor.  You may be pleasantly surprised!

Good luck in conceiving :) :) :)