Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
What kind of Dr. should I see for PCOS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

What kind of Dr. should I see for PCOS?

I have kinda crappy insurance. I was just diagnosed at the end of Dec 2010. and my OBGYN's office is horrible with call backs and so I'll have to look for yet again (this will be my 3rd time) for a new OBGYN.

My question is this, what kind of dr can help me with my PCOS the best? I am not interested in BCP's because I do want to get pregnant. Because of my insurance anything with infertility is NOT covered, so I don't want to go see an infertility specialist.

Any info would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks!
I seen just a womens' health specialist, she was very informative and seemed to know alot about PCOS. I dont think it is the TYPE of dr you see, because some drs just act like they know it all when in reality are completely ignorant, I would reccomend calling around locally, generally when you explain your condition/situation to the receptionist, she/he will know which dr would be best for you. I also highly reccomend seeing a nutritionalist, i thought i knew a lot in that area from working with diabetics for a living, but i learned alot from my nutritionalist. Good luck
Thanks for the info. I think I read somewhere that Endocrinologists are the best to see, but I didn't know if that was true or not.
A reproductive endocrinologist is the best trained to treat PCOS.  OBGYN's are very limited on their knowledge of treatment.  Your insurance should cover the visits bc it's for an endocrinologist.  My insurance offered no fertility coverage, but I only had copays for all my visits including follicle scans when we did follistim injections.  They even covered all but $40 of my injections and I had no "fertility" coverage.  The IUI was all out of pocket but I'm not complaining at all.  Have your doctor try to process the claim the worst that will happen is they will deny it.  I agree with penelope a nutritionist wouldn't be a bad idea either.  good luck
Thanks for the info, trying to find a Endocrinologist that I can work with locally now.
and wanabb, thanks for the info.  I was wondering what my insurance will cover as far as if I were to go see an RE.  I will look into it but have been too nervous to hear they wouldn't cover anything....

I'm glad I found this question I was wondering the same myself!  I am currently seeing an OBGYN who diagnosed me with PCOS in January 2011.  She is giving me 3 months on clomid before she recommends me to an endocrinologist.  

What have you tried so far to get pregnant or what has your OB recommended for you?
My old OB only recommended Clomid. And if that didn't work a Fertility Clinic. $850 just for a consult we do not have. She did not monitor me on Clomid and I did not get pregnant, but I did ovulate on it.  My "new" OB also recommended Clomid with monitoring but I haven't tried that yet. I'm taking FertilAid on my own