Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
Woman with abnormal Hair growth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

Woman with abnormal Hair growth

I am a woman in my 30's who has been dealing with abnormal hair growth since I was 13. I have tried shaving, electrolosis and laser surgery. Nothing has worked.  Anyone else out there struggling with the same issue? I do have PCOS and Type II diabetes.
Abnormal hair growth is a symptom of pcos. Some have it bad, and others just a few. I normally shave the chin hairs every other day or sometimes 2 days in between. You could try using bleaching cream to atleast lighten the hairs if they are dark. I try not to deal with too many chemicals, so thats normally why i shave mine. Waxing is ok, but you have to let the hairs grow about 1/4 way before waxing again.
I have abnormal hair to. I also get ingrown hairs so I no how misserable it can be to deal with. I have talked to my dr about it and she said I can take a medication to prevent the axtra hair growth. I forgot what it is called. But the thing is you have to take it everyday for the rest of your life. And you cant take it when your pregnate. And there is a chance it can get worse if you stop taking it. Your dr can tell you more thats really all I now about it. I would be on it now if I wasnt ttc. Right now I shave my chin with an electric razer to prevent it from getting darker and I can shave quik and easy. My abdominal I wax it so it can stay away longer. Good luck!
thanks. I seem to have exhausted all my options.  Like I mentioned, I have tried tweezing, electrolosis, laser, creams, bleaches etc etc.  Nothing works so I have to shave EVERY day.  I was sick for 3 days and didn't have and I looked like a man.  I hate it and it makes me feel so ugly.  :(
I have never been officially dignosed with PCOS. My mother still thinks I have it. I was only tested once almost 10 years ago. I have been dealing with the facial hair aka beard for about 17 years now. I'm 41. My mother has the same issue with the hair. Mom was able to laser. I can't afford it so I haven't tried it yet.
I have to shave every day. But, try to do it every other day or my skin gets very irritated. I hate it. When I met my husband I told him about it almost right away. I didn't want him to find out later then leave me. He and I will be married 8 years on the 9th.
I am very self concious about it, everywhere I go because I get a shadow 1/2 way through the day. It deeply depresses me and makes me feel gross to look at. And because I'm Bipolar that is really not a good thing.
Basically, I wanted to let you know, I know how you feel. I fantasize at night while falling asleep that it's gone and everything is perfect. But then I wake up in the morning to look in the mirror just to be reminded that I once again have to shave.
I wish I could give you some ideas of what to do but, I'm looking for answers myself.
Good luck to both of us.
thanks everyone. I forgot I even posted this and it helps to know there are others out there who struggle.  I try to live my life and say this is who I am, but.....
I have to shave my chin everyday and sometimes twice a day. I have hair on my tummy, and on my back...My hubby doesn't seem to mind this and says the hair on my back is very blonde. I know he knows about the beard i grow but I don't think he is to bothered by it either as I keep it smooth!  Fortunately my skin hasn't darkened from shaving for so many years!  I try to keep a tan too because that hides the dark hair that grows in!

I did ask my doc if there was something i could do and he said the best is to just do what i have been doing.   Its annoying but we gotta do what we gotta do!