Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
bleeding not stopping on provera 10mg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

bleeding not stopping on provera 10mg

I am taking provera 10mg to stop my month long menstrual bleeding which started in feb 2010.. My last period before this was in sep 09 and the bleeding was scanty ( this was also the 1st period after I delivered a baby in april 09).. My question is why is my bleeding not stopping completely on provera although its been 2 weeks i started taking them and the bleeding is moderate during the dayt and light during the night, I am soaking 2 to 3 pads per day .. Can I stop taking provera and start combination OC pills to stop the bleeding ? will it help me..I am having lot of tiredness and fatigue due to bleeding so long ..please advise and help me..thanks much!
I had the same problem when I was 17 and exactly 18 years old were bleeding for a month with heavy pass.ing of clots.  Had one DNC at 17 then at 18 had another one with scope to find out what was going on they had found fibroid tumors .  Fibroid tumors are a culprit of bleeding.  So check into that.
Good luck
Provera stimulates a period.  I would stop taking it.  
SWEETY THAT IS BECAUSE PROVERA IS USED TO GET YOU TO START BLEEDING NOT STOP. PROVERA IS USED FOR TREATMENT OF AMENORRHEA

Amenorrhea is the absence of menstrual bleeding and may be primary or secondary.

•Primary amenorrhea is the absence of menstrual bleeding and secondary sexual characteristics (for example, breast development and pubic hair) in a girl by age 14 years or the absence of menstrual bleeding with normal development of secondary sexual characteristics in a girl by age 16 years.

•Secondary amenorrhea is the absence of menstrual bleeding in a woman who had been menstruating but later stops menstruating for 3 or more months in the absence of pregnancy, lactation (the ability to breastfeed), cycle suppression with systemic hormonal contraceptive (birth control) pills, or menopause.
For a woman to have regular menstrual cycles, her hypothalamus, pituitary gland (see Anatomy of the Endocrine System), ovaries, and uterus should all be functioning normally. The hypothalamus stimulates the pituitary gland to release follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH). FSH and LH cause the ovaries to produce the hormones estrogen and progesterone. Estrogen and progesterone are responsible for the cyclical changes in the endometrium (uterine lining), including menstruation. In addition, a woman’s genital tract should be free of any abnormalities to allow the passage  of menstrual blood

Why is Provera prescribed?
Provera is derived from the female hormone progesterone. You may be given Provera if your menstrual periods have stopped or a female hormone imbalance is causing your uterus to bleed abnormally. Provera is also prescribed to prevent abnormal growth of the uterine lining in women taking estrogen replacement therapy.

Other forms of medroxyprogesterone, such as Depo-Provera, are used as a contraceptive injection and prescribed in the treatment of endometrial cancer.

Some doctors prescribe Provera to treat endometriosis, menopausal symptoms, premenstrual tension, sexual aggressive behavior in men, and sleep apnea (temporary failure to breathe while sleeping).

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/pdr/provera.html#ixzz0p34uv1bA

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Provera.

Side effects may include:
Acne, anaphylaxis (life-threatening allergic reaction), blood clot in a vein, lungs, or brain, breakthrough bleeding (between menstrual periods), breast tenderness or sudden or excessive flow of milk, cervical erosion or changes in secretions, depression, excessive growth of hair, fever, fluid retention, hair loss, headache, hives, insomnia, itching, lack of menstruation, menstrual flow changes, spotting, nausea, rash, skin discoloration, sleepiness, weight gain or loss, yellowed eyes and skin

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/pdr/provera.html#ixzz0p33tCIqG
my gyn gave me provra to stop bleeding and all it did is made it worse  ive been bleeding for three weks today  so i wish i could help you but the only thing is i was dx with pcos fibrods and possible adenomyosis  i sugges u/s at radiolgist  office or hospital and mri thats what i had the drs office u/s dont see  every thing clearly   hope this info helps