clomid and multiple births
I am taking clomid and metformin in order to ttc. I have recently read some articles that say clomid can increase your chances of having multiple birth pregnancies. Is there any truth to this and if so, does anyone have any statistics about the chances of getting pregnant with more than one baby?
Yes it is true. I mean every pregnancy runs a risk of carrying more then one baby...but only a few will actually have more then one. When you on any type of fertility treatment, you run a higher risk of carrying more then one. Also, if your family has a history of multiples or your husbands/boyfriends side, you have a greater risk. There have been some women on here who took clomid, and ended up with having twins.
What I have read is that you have a 5 to 12% of having twins. If you are doing  IVF your chances increase to 20 to 40%. I took Clomid and only had one.
your chances increase the more invasive you get like amandacole said, clomid alone is a 5% chance of multiples.  As far as family history goes if you have a family history of fraternal multiples on YOUR side that will increase your chances because that's a history of releasing more than one egg.  Identical twins on either side will not affect your chances because it's a spontaneous seperation of one egg and it's not genetic.  hopefully that helps.
I have heard that twins having twins can be hereditary. I did not know that it only pertained to fraternal twins, but now that you explain it, it makes sense. My grandmother on my father's side had two sets of twins. I do not know if they were fraternal or identical, all four babies passed at birth or shortly after. As far as I know, nobody else in my family has had twins.

Thanks for your comment and the information!
your welcome and good luck with ttc.
I don't know the statistics, but I can tell you that 28 years ago I was on clomid trying to get pregnant and I had twins.