Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
does having PCOS MEAN LONG PERIODS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

does having PCOS MEAN LONG PERIODS

I have been on my cycle 9 days now and i am becoming very SCARED i started metformin last monday and the medicine is working great i started my period last tuesday and it hasnt stoped yet I have PCOS and I never had a cycle last this long. I misssed last months cycle is this my body catching up or what can it be I AM VERY SCARED
Yes, this is another symtpom of having pcos. Back before I knew I had pcos, I bled a full month after having 2 normal periods the prior months. Have you gotten any ultrsounds too make sure you don't have any cysts? You might need somthing like Provera to stop the bleeding if you don't stop on your own. Provera was given to me, but it didn't stop me from bleeding. You might want to check in with your doctor, maybe they will do an ultrasound to make sure.
really i am scared but its lighting up thank GOD but i am like wtf I never had this issue before
UPDATE *******I HAVE TO GO TO DOC FRI THEY MAY GIVE ME A MED TO STOP MY BLEEDING THEY WANTED ME TO GO TODAY BUT I CANT DO TO WORK WISH ME LUCK :)
It will probably be Provera, unless there might be other medications to help now. Wishing you luck...and keep us posted on your condition. Hopefully you will stop bleeding by Friday!
WAIT I thought provera brings on periods not stops them and they called i have to go to urgant care TONITE
Sometimes Provera can help stop the bleeding...it's one of those medications that works both ways. When I was given Provera by the second gyn I saw, he said it should help to slow down the bleeding...but my body didn't react well to it, and I just bled heavier for the next 3 days. After that, the bleeding slowed down. Another medication I took was Northindrone (sp?). That is similar to birth control, except you take 1 pill everyday. I was on that for 2 months, and didn't have no period on it. My current doctor gave me that to stop my body from bleeding all together, so he could figure out what was wrong with me. It worked, cause he knew I had PCOS after he was able to do the tests.
I would have maybe 3 periods a year (about 10 years ago) and bleed to the point where i was all in blood down to my knees on a public transport (i had to take my jacket off  and tie it around my waist to cover the stains until i got home).
I have been on Provera (synthetic drug)....was really bitchy, kinda in state of depression...but with regular periods! (most women hate their periods - I don't love it but i sure dont hate it either).
Now i am on Prometrium and has been on it for the last 5 years. It's a natural extract from yams (i googled it) and the side effects are almost non-existent to me.

I have never heard of Provera helping to stop bleeding...maybe slowing down...yes....
Provera and prometrium can help stop your period, it's the withdrawl (withdrawal) that causes a period (so when you stop taking it).  I think it depends on your hormones as to how long you cycle is mine only lasts 3-4 days.  Really anything over 7 days is abnormal and you should be seen by a doctor.  Good luck I hope it gets better.