Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
how were you diagnosed?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to PCOS including anxiety, baldness or thinning hair, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, type 2 diabetes, genetics, heart problems, increased hair growth (hirsuitism), infertility, menstruation (periods), obesity, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, pregnancy, skin problems, sleep disorders, and weight gain.

how were you diagnosed?

hello there, i'm 31.  i'm starting to think i might have PCOS, however every year i go to my gyno i have regular paps, tested negative for HPV (got the test last year) and they never mentioned to me any problems.  i have fairly regular periods, (30 day cycle, sore breasts week before it starts, a tad moody, cramps for the first 2 days, 4 day cycle usually) however recently i have noticed my periods have been late by a few days or started a bit early, didn't think too much of it.  however this is embarrassing but i have noticed a few hairs on my chin that weren't there, and one on my upper lip that i pluck every week or so.  they are just changes in my body that i have noticed in probably the last year.

now i don't want to sound totally uneducated but i was never told about PCOS and i looked up symptoms and i feel i might have a few of them.  i have never been on birth control, never been pregnant and i'm wondering should i be concerned or do you think my body is just changing since i'm in my 30s now.

i guess i was wondering as to what tipped you off that you might have PCOS or how you were diagnosed, and how do they go about treating it?  thanks! sorry this was so long winded....
Overweight is usally a sign of polycystic ovaries but that doesn't mean to say every overweight person has it!

I'm not a doctor but work in health care so do understand quite a bit about this and suffer from PCOS myself! I would definatley look at getting your hormone levels and thyroid levels checked as from what you've told me your symptoms can be various things.

If you are wanting to start a family i would suggest getting these checked sooner rather than later as if there is any fertility problem they are resolved a lot easier under 35 therefore now would be the best time.

Good luck hope you find the answers you are looking for.

The only similarity I can see with PCOS is hair growth, your periods seem pretty regular. Sorry to be personal but are you overweight? What is your skin like etc?

Theres not really a lot of information to say whether or not your symptoms sound like this, have you had any scans or blood tests? There is other things which could be causing your problems such as thyroid problems which uncontrolled can affect fertility.

First thing I would suggest is to go and see your doctor explain all of your symptoms and ask to have a blood test including your thyroid and hormone levels depending on the results your doctor will arrange further investigations or medication to help you.

Hope this helps x
hello there and thank you for responding!  yes i'm slightly overweight by about 20lbs. or so.  face has always been clear.  a pimple here and there.  i have never had any blood tests or a scan before.  (i haven't had any health insurance for almost ten years) so i basically have a women's basic plan that allows me a few visits a year to a gyno. but okay, thank you for your input i never thought about thyroid before. i really appreciate your help!

excellent, thank you so much i will definitely look into it! :)
I was DX by blood test. Since I do not have any cysts on my ovaries, dr's never knew what the problem was. This was also about 5 years ago too, so more dr's know of this condition now as before. But they did a blood test to reveal more hormones out of control, which prompted my dr to suggest PCOS. Gave me birthcontrol and meteformin and advised to start losing weight. I lost about 65+lbs, but gained it all back. I'm currently working again to lose the weight, although this time without the medications.