Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
2 week old baby and think I have PPD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

2 week old baby and think I have PPD

OK - so I have a 2 week old. And ever since he was born I feel anxious, can't really eat, and have anxiety attacks.  My Dr put me back on Zoloft bc I was on it before the pregnancy for bad anxiety.  I think now it may be PPD though.  Sometimes I just have no interest in my baby and I get really overwhelmed with taking care of him - especially when he is fussy - which is alot bc he has alot of gas.  Is this normal for PPD?  When will it end?  I HATE feeling this way!!  Some days I feel like I just can't do it (care for the baby) and that i must be the worst mom ever and then I just cry and cry.  Am I alone or is this part of PPD??
It sounds very much like PPD symptoms.  I don't get those particular symptoms, but many do.  Zoloft is also for depression as well as the anxiety but if that is not working for you, you may want to speak w/ your doctor and see about getting on something different.

I would also suggest maybe getting some counseling.  It sounds like you might need that in addition to new medication.  

The most important thing is to have good communication w/ your significant other and your doctor.  That is very important to communicate how you are feeling; especially to those who can help you.  The top priorities here are for BOTH you and your baby to get the proper care and support that you need.

I really hope you feel better soon.  I know this feeling is awful, but with the proper care and help, it will pass.
I experienced postpartum depression with my first baby.  Rather than my mother giving me some help and assurrances, she chewed me out for what I was feeling.  I was totally overwhelmed, frightened, exhausted, in need of a break for a few minutes, and in need of some tender loving care for myself on top of everything.  I was the only parent.  I had the whole ball of wax on my shoulders.  Plus my hormones were tumbling all over the place as my body adjusted to post-pregnancy.  That can take some time just on its own.  

Now I am in my 60's and an ol' hand with pregnancy, child care, emotions, and I look upon your post pregnancy moments with lots of sympathy and compassion.  Believe me I know PPD is very real.  Talk to your doctor to see if you need a medication adjustment.  But keep in mind that your hormones are on a rollercoaster ride at the moment.  You may think you are going crazy, but you aren't.  Once the hormones settle down, you will start feeling much better.  

Now.  When baby goes down for a nap, YOU go down for a nap.  Don't worry about housework and the thousand things that need to be done.  At this time, you need all the rest you can get.  So as soon as baby goes down, YOU go down and sleep.

You will make a heap of mistakes as you learn how to care for baby.  But don't worry.  We all make mistakes.  No instruction manual came in the box with his arrival.  It is learn as we go.  The good news is that your baby will NEVER remember your mistakes.  In fact.  Your baby has no concept of what is a mistake.  You are his mother and as far as he is concerned you are doing EVERYTHING right by him.  When he is wet, hungry, tired, bored, he will "tell" you through different crying.  You will quickly learn to desipher his crying (talk) and be confident that he's wet, or tired, or bored or hungry, or just wants to be held and talked to.

I took my baby everywhere with me, room to room, and talked to him all the time telling him what I was doing.  That is when I did laundry, sterilized his bottles and made formulas, took a bath myself, relaxed on the porch, drove the car, and did grocery shopping etc.  He would ride in a little seat and he was just content to listen to my voice.  Eventually you will get into a comfortable, workable, routine for yourself.  If you are married, or have a trusting relative or girlfriend who can babysit an hour a day and give you time to decompress, take a walk.  It clears the mind and keeps you physically fit and emotionally balanced.  

Keep a phone number on the wall by the phone in case you should feel over the top and need to talk to a crisis counselor.  She can save the day.  You need to know that what you are experiencing right now is normal, and it will get better and easier over the next week or two.

About the Colic.  His little body has not learned how to function properly yet.  He gets gas and it hurts like the devil.  Talk to the pediatrician about some medication to give him to relieve that gas.  There is stuff over the counter, but you MUST first talk to your doctor and follow his advice.  Also, try giving him a warm bath during these bouts with Colic.  Sometimes that helps the gas move through and out of him.  I know how helpless you feel when there seems nothing you can do to ease his discomfort, but keep in mind that after a month or two, his digestion will kick in and the Colic will be history.

Keep your baby out of the sun for the first six months.  His skin is so new and tender that it takes no time at all for him to burn.  You don't want to start him down a road of skin cancers later in his life.  Then make sure you apply plenty of sunblock and a hat on him before you take him out.  Reapply every 1 1/2 hours while outside.  Year around.

Right now it feels like all work and little reward.  But don't feel this is all there is to motherhood.  Your baby will make faces, discover his fingers and toes, start cooing and before you know it he will be crawling all over the place.  Have fun with him.  He is really a present to you.