Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
Can you show PPD a year later or longer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

Hi, I will honestly say that the first year after our son was born, I wasn't depressed. I had severe PP anxiety. He had a lot of health problems and immediately I just hated my husband and focused on our marriage issues. Now that it's two years later, I'm used to being a mom, dealing with our son's issues, and they've subsided. But now we're in marriage therapy and for the last year it's been just depression. I'm not saying that the marriage isn't causing some of the problems of depression but I can't focus to make a solid decision on the marriage, I'm depressed about life, I don'tk now how to handle it. I'm seeing a therapist for myself but also a marriage therapist with my husband. They both suggest I get on some meds to help me think clearer. I'm finally caving in on that idea and made an appt. But still...could this be some sort of PPD?

I ask because prior to pregnancy, I had issues with depression/anxiety (more depression). I was medicated before but also learned better coping mechanisms, etc. So I was "fine" relatively for 8 years. Then during pregancy I LOVED it. It was for the first time I felt stable. Before pregnancy I have horrible mood swings with menstrual cycle so being pregnant was awesome because I was level--I was normal, healthy, happy. Only the first two months and the last two months of the pregnancy were emotionally difficult and understandably since those are the peak hormone times.

But say today, nearly two years later? My period is starting and yesterday and today I am so overly depressed and physically I feel like a truck hit me. My joints hurt, I have a headache, I'm exhausted, I'm depressed....

Curious if something is up hormonally. Unfortuantely it seems that the only treatment will be to be on some sort of SSRI or other medication.

But wondering if PPD could happen a year later or is this just my "normal" depression/hormone fluctuation kicking in because now life is back to being life?
I don't think it is PPD since you had problems before the pregnancy and now you are having them again.  You very well may just have problems with depression/anxiety.  I think it is great you are seeing a therapist both independently and with your husband.  That is very proactive and I applaud you for that.

My advice is to not be afraid to take the meds.  You may only have to take them for a short time.  I myself, get PPD after each birth and I only take the meds until I feel like me again.  Once I know I am okay, I stop taking them.

I am not a doctor but I will tell you what I do know to the best of my ability.  Our brains produce something called seratonin (sp???).  I know I just butchered that word!!  Anyway, when you get depressed for too long, your brain stops producing this.  That chemical is like a natural "happy" drug for our body.  For example, for a smoker, this chemical is released from the brain when they smoke a cigarette.  We need that chemical but as I said, once you are depressed for too long, your body will stop producing it.  The meds will help jump start this process.  Anti-depressants are for chemical imbalances.  Taking the meds may help you more than you know.  I had a friend take Zoloft for anxiety and she was like a new person.  That is what I take for my PPD.  But there are many kinds of meds out there.

I wish you luck and I hope you come back and check this!