Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
Could it be PPD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

Could it be PPD?

Hi, I am 38 (39 in two months) I have a 6 month old.  I also have a 4.5 year old.  I had a miscarriage before I had my second child so during the entire pregnancy I was extremly scared I was going to miscarry.  Then after he was born I was extremly scared something was wrong with him (with no real reason)  I first thought his replexes were not working then I thought he had downs.  Then I was afraid of sids.  Then it got a little better so for about a month I had little anixiety.  Then I got an upper back ach and bad head aches. I was also diagnosed with masatis ((breast infection from nursing spelled wrong sorry).  I was convienced I had Breast Cancer and my back ache was becasue it spread at this point my son was 3 months old.  All of my aniety went from being worried about him to being conviend I had cancer and was going to die before I could see my kids grow up.  It got so bad I could not function.  My back pain got worse and worse.  My Dr ran a lot of blood work and said I was fine it was just anxiety.  The doctor told me to stop nursing and put me on anti anxiety pills and anti depressants.  They helped a little after about 3 weeks, they helped me function a little better but I was still sure something physical was wrong with me becaseu my back still hurst and my thighs started to hurt.  I ended up going into an outpaitent therapy unit 5 days a week 9-3 for 2.5 weeks.  I am functioning better but I am still worried something is wrong with me because by back still hursts and it has been 3 months.  My Dr thinks it is becasue I have been so stressed.  After reading some of the posts I was thinking I might have PPD.  I did cry a lot during the time before meds.  I cryed though thinking I was going to die.  I also cried in the begining thinking my baby was going to die.  Does it sound like PPD or you don't get physical pains with it?
Depression can cause physical pain for some.  And it does sound as if you may have PPD.  All you describe can be symptoms.  You may need counseling in addition to your meds.  I would def look into this.  Maybe your doctor can point you into the right direction to a psychologist or a psychiatrist.  The psychiatrist can help monitor your meds.

I really hope you feel better soon and I am sorry you are feeling so bad.
You need to talk with your doctor.  While you may have PPD I tend to think you may have started having something else, psychological.  Now don't get all upset about what I just said.  You seem to be developing a habit of worrying about things that aren't.  You can cause enough stress this way to give you backaches, headaches, neck pain etc.

But first off.  Do not lift anything that is heavier than your infant.  Doing even housework can put undue stress on your back, thighs, shoulders etc.  And stressing about all your aches and pains can add stress headaches too.  Only pick up your four year old to hold in your lap.  Don't carry him!

You are very likely physically healthy, as the doctor says.  If you cannot put the brakes on your worrying, then you need to get some behavioral counseling to help you stop.  If you don't nip this in the bud, it could get much worse over time and affect your family life.
Hi Dee;
it seems as if I was reading my own story. I have had PPD for two years now and am taking Effexor daily. It DOES help. Also sleeping at least 7-8 solid hours helps. I remember worries about our world when my daughter was born. It was around that time that Al Gore released the movie about global warming. I used to think; oh my God we only have 50 years to live and here is my precious baby, so helpless. Then, when she turned 9 months it got worse and by 11 months I was so "sick", my fatigue got to the point when even just thinking of feeding her caused me a panic attack. I used to cry thinking nobody is going to love her the way I do if I die. Or I would think buying clothes for myself  was a waste of money if I am not here for much longer. Horrible, horrible thoughts...I am so much better now but I do make sure I get time for myself, exercise, go for walks with my iPod, go for facials and dress up...It all helps tremendously. Please promise you will do that. Even if it puts your bank acct into minus, it is your health you are talking about and it is only temporary. Because you will get better hugs
What were your signs/symptoms early on from the PPD??  I hope I don't have it I think it is baby blues..as I am very slowly starting to feel better.. the 1st 2 weeks weren't good for me at all..I gave birth to my son 3.5 weeks ago. love him a lot, but just felt the need to get out of the house as I felt trapped..had a hard time sleepin when he was, cried a bit but not a lot and not everyday...I get out once in awhile and I tell u this does the world of good to me...