Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
Depression? Or just normal baby blues?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Depression? Or just normal baby blues?

Hi All,
I just had a baby 2.5 weeks ago.  This baby was very much planned and wanted, I had a loss last year and feel like I am blessed to even have the chance to have such a beautiful baby boy.  I cry because I am greatful, I cry because he is crying, I cry because I am tired, I cry because my husband gets to go to work and continue with his life like he did before the baby.  I love him, yet sometimes I feel I am not cut out for this constant crying (he is very fussy).  I feel like I can't make my son happy.  Now that I am a mom, and I know that's important I feel like I don't know who I am anymore.  I feel like a baby machine who's sole purpose is to take care of this baby and it's just not enough for me.  My husband helps when he is home, but it's like he sort of just acts like he is babysitting.  
Who can I talk to?  My gyno?  I have never had any sort of depression.  Will this go away after a few more weeks?  Or should I seek out help?  I had a csection and prior to pregnancy I would just workout if I felt down and it went away... I can't even do that right now.  My baby deserves a happy mom... any sort of input would be appreciated!
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Sounds like typical baby blues.  Been there, done that.  If it gets worse or doesn't let up in the next couple weeks, definitely talk to your doctor.  If it is just kind of annoying, there is hope!!!  I know it feels awful right now, but it does get better.  Hang in there!!!
Blank
287246_tn?1318573663
I would go ahead and talk to your doc now.  Get on some meds.  I have had 6 healthy pregnancies but I get PPD every time.  I start taking Zoloft right away and it helps me a lot.  I still go through the depression for a few weeks but it would be much worse and much longer without the help of the meds so I urge you to call your gyno.  They will give you a script immediately.  I leave the hospital with mine.  With my 11 month old, I started taking it in the hospital.  I was in tears the day after she was born before I was even released and they got me my meds quickly.  I only take it until I feel like myself again and then I stop.  It will pass.  And I know everything that you are feeling.  I know that you feel like this is your sole purpose right now.  And honestly, you are what that baby needs most right now as he is 100% dependent on you.  BUT, this will not last for very long.  I promise you that you will blink and he will be in Kindergarten, so don't worry.  Get on some meds so that you can enjoy this time and not resent it.  You will be shocked at how quickly it will go by and how much you will miss it later.  I swear that I can say this with a lot of experience.  I always feel overwhelmed when they are that little but I just can't believe how quickly the time goes and how quickly they grow.  You are right.  Your baby does deserve a happy mom, but you also deserve to be happy.  Anytime that I get overwhelmed with my big crew, and I do believe me, I just remind myself that this will not last forever.  I remind myself that this will pass.  I know it sounds cliche but it is sooooo true.  Please call your doc and PM me anytime!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...