Had PPD...took a long time to get over
I had a child who never slept due to a number of issues mostly colic.   I did not sleep the first year EVER.  I did have some major hormonal issues and was put on different birth control pills, etc but nothing worked.  The best cure for PPD in my opinion is to get your sleep back.  

Once DH helped me out more he realized just how a lack of sleep can change a person (he got a good dose of it when he started getting up with her LOL!).  It may not be the answer for everyone, but boy for me, the sleep made me a totally different person.  I will NEVER have another baby again (though I love my daughter to death).  The stress, and me feeling like a monster, threatening constantly to leave DH, telling him I did not know who this person (me) was anymore...just not worth it and I cannot imagine why women go on to have more kids after they have been through something like this.  It is not funny...a very serious thing, and you do need to seek help immediately if you don't feel like yourself anymore.  I was a walking zombie and even had a car accident because of it.
I agree that the lack of sleep is a HUGE contributor to PPD and the "not feeling like yourself" thing.  That part is terrible.  But if you have PPD, sometimes you can't sleep no matter how tired you are.  I know that I would get so frustrated because I knew I needed to be sleeping but couldn't.  I would just lay there and cry.  And yet, I was exhausted.  Not being able to sleep and uncontrolable crying are signs of PPD as well.

I have 6 kids and suffer from PPD each time.  I always dread it and even started the crying before I even got home from the hospital with this last one.  I have gone on to have more kids because even though it is horrible, I know that it is only temporary.  It seems like forever when you are going through it.  But in the grand scheme of things, it is not much time and you get a beautiful child out of it that you will love for a lifetime.

Anyway, I know how you felt, and I am glad you are feeling better!