Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
How can I tell?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

How can I tell?

How do if I have ppd or im just depressed I've been through alot these past 6 months due to my babys dad we broke up back in june cause he slapped me (while I was pregnant) I tried to work things out with him but him being bipolar didnt make it easy it was like a rollercoaster emotionally and all I wanted to make it work so bad but I couldnt handle the constant mood swings cause he would be sweet to me one minute then flippin out on me the next well I started pushing him away a couple of wks before I had the baby which was hard because thats when he decided he was guna try to change but still I ignored him he really wanted to be there when the baby was born but when the day came for me to be induced I fought the urge to let him and tell him to come I wanted him there but was thinking the worst that he'd start up on me and cause stress I didnt need so I didnt call him or anything I still regret that decision I wish I would have called him to be with me I never told him anything so he never knew when he was even born well he showed up a wk later but I didnt answer so he beat up my moms ol' man and is now in jail for agg assault sbi and all I can think about is how f***ed up I feel for what I did and caused so im doing do this alone cause I pushed him away and I feel like im losing I have a 2yr old and my babys now 4wks old and I cry just about every night cause I cant handle the (what seems like) constant crying I just want scream at top of my lungs rip my hair out and punch a wall and I feel like such a horrible mom/person for feeling this way I barely sleep cause hes up every 3hrs well 2hrs cause it takes him an hr to fall asleep sometimes and my 2yr old is not making it any easier cause hes hit that "terrible 2" stage and doesnt listen to me anymore I feel like I cant take it anymore like im almost at my breaking point and not like im going to hurt my babies or myself cause I could never do anything to harm them theyre my life but like im going to have a nervous breakdown I just cant do it by myself anymore I just feel like crying non-stop like its all just too much and I feel like I have nobody to talk cause im afraid of they'll think and that they'll look at me like im a bad mom and im afraid my midwife will think im an unfit mom and I couldnt bare to lose my kids I just dont know what to do I dont know if I should bring it up to my dr cause I dont know if its ppd just regular depression or just in my hormonal head please help anyone thaks in advance if anyone answers ( I have my 6wk checkup on 1/8/13)
I am way late w/ this response and am not sure how I missed this.  But I think it could be a combination of both.  Even if this wasn't depression from having the baby itself, you could still benefit from taking some anti-depressants.  I highly recommend seeing a doctor, as I don't know if a MW can prescribe that type of medication, unless she works with an OB.

I hope you did get some medication and are feeling better.  If you ever need to talk, just message me.  Take care!!