Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
IF YOU NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TO.......

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

IF YOU NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TO.......

Hi Everyone,

I notice that this forum does not have a whole lot of traffic, but I want everyone to know that I am always here to help.  I want everyone to know that as a regular on MH, I am always checking this site, as well as others, and you can PM me anytime.

Some history about myself.....I am a mother of 5 and currently pregnant w/ #6.  I get PPD after each birth and I am always anxious about it while I am pregnant.  I know it is coming and I do the best I can to prepare for it.  I know how it feels and I know how it hurts and I know that it feels as though it will never end while you are going through it.  My goal here is to just let anyone and everyone here know that there is always someone to talk to.  I am always around.  For many, that is what they need to start dealing w/ the PPD.  They just need someone to talk to that can understand what they are going through.  One of the worst feelings while you are dealing w/ this is feeling as if no one understands.  So, please know that someone is here......

Take Care,
Michele
Thanks for the post. Right now I cannot imagine having PPD more than once, I am pretty sure I will only have one baby but who knows. I am 38 (+3) weeks with my first and have had a pregnancy that felt like an emotional rollar coster. I just moved to Germany from Canada to be with my German husband and am not quite fluent yet. I have had 3 months of bad depression in my 2-5th month that I did go back to Canada for 6 weeks to "recover". Things then have been great until the last week. I have been doing my best to prepare for what may or may not come after my baby is born. Me and my husband have talked about it and have read some good books on PPD. At least my husband is 100% supportive but depression in general has a huge stigma in Germany so much worse than in North America. I will try to talk with my doctor again but I get the feeling she is not too knowledgeable in that area. My husbands family are introverts and do not really speak english but I think I will at least let them know what is/may happening and see what happens. I know I have to change how I react to other peoples behavior towards me but these pregnancy hormones makes this really difficult. We just moved to a smaller village 3 months ago and I really do not know anyone in the village or in Germany yet. I think just having someone to chat with is a great help. Thanks
Wow.....Well it sounds really difficult for you.  I can only imagine being in a foreign country and still experiencing what you are experiencing.  What is your expected due date?  The first thing I would do is speak w/ your OB about what you are already experiencing.  It is important for her to know that you are already dealing w/ depression.  They may try to say it's just hormones and of course that is a huge factor, but that is not to say that you do not have a right to be concerned just as you are.  I know you said your doctor doesn't seem very knowledgable about the subject, but maybe you can look something up on the internet and show it to her.  Show her your books and resources.  My thinking is that the more depressed you are during your pregnancy, the stronger your chances of having PPD.  My doc always puts me on anti-depressants after I have a baby.  That helps.  I only take them until I feel normal again and then I stop.

I do want to say that I am so happy that your husband is so supportive.  That is soooooo very important!  That is just wonderful to me that he is so supportive; especially being of another culture.

Do you guys plan on staying in Germany permanently, or will you ever live in Canada.  It seems that it is easier for men to be away from their families than women.  I think women tend to have a more difficult time w/ that.  If you find that you are really having a hard time after you do have the baby, might I suggest you going back to Canada for a little bit (with the baby of course), to be near family?  Just a suggestion if that's what you feel you need.

I hope I helped you on some level......I feel kind of "useless" in your situation because it seems that you have done everything right already by reaching out and by researching.  I also have no idea what kind of resources are in Germany like I would in the US.  But given the fact that you said that there is a stigma there about depression, the resources are probably limited.  But just because people don't talk about it, don't think that German women don't suffer from it just as much as women in any other part of the world.  I am sure they do.  They just probably are brought up not to talk about it.

I am always here if you need to talk.
Hello Katy,
    Im not sure if you will give a second thought to this let alone reply.
Im a DAD of 2 healthy boys 6 yr old and 1 month old. My wife and family is wonderful and supportive.

I have a history of bouts of mild-depression and anxiety and recently I had some anxiety during the c-section of my second son and the anxiety stuck even after the surgery and everything settled down. And now I have developed a mild-anxiety and mild-depression from morning 7AM till around 10PM.

Amazingly Im fine from 10PM till around 4-5AM and 5-7AM the anxiety level starts creeping.

I have no economic problems, no family problems, no health problems but I seem to find reasons to be anxious about- everything silly starting from will my babies be safe, will they be healthy, will they be friends, at what age will I die, how old will my babies be and where will they be when Im on my death-bed, etc etc.

Having a history of depressions and being sensive to painkillers, ephedra etc Im wondering if I should take medications or just beat it by exercise, vitaminD, B6, B12, fish oil, greens etc.

I was also wondering that Im a MAN and why such a thing is happening to me.
So sorry for just getting back to responding to this.  I have been very sick over the last couple of months.  I sent you a PM though.
Hi I had a baby in December and ever since them I have alot of anxiety and I'm so confused all the time I don't know wether my feelings are real
Or not