Medicine safe breastfeeding
I am not experiencing PPD, but more anxiety associated with OCD. I have had this before and was medicated with Prozac that worked very well for me. However, I am currently breastfeeding my 7 month old daughter. I would like to continue to breastfed her, but I feel that I need the medicine to function and be the best mother for her. Does anyone have experience taking an antidepressant while breastfeeding? I have been doing my research, but coming up with mixed reviews. Thanks.
Not sure about mixing the meds with bf, your doc is possibly best placed to advise on that. How long do you plan to continue bf for? If it is a choice of your mental health and sanity over bf then it is certainly for you alone to decide, but I firmly believe that the better that we cope with life and anxiety then sometimes that is more important, happy mums = happy babies. You have done soooo well to bf for so long, your baby has benefited from your antibodies etc, dont feel bad if you have to give up in order to take what you need to help you cope. I have tried to bf all 3 of my kids, I have never managed to bf, I tried really hard this time, but as soon as my milk came in, my son had it and I never made more, I didnt leak at all, just dried up completely! I cant allow myself to feel bad about it, I did my best.Speak to your doc about what you could take which would work with bf, but be prepared that you may have to make a choice, I hope you dont have to do that. Best wishes to you, I hope it works out for you and you can feel better and continue to bf.
I took prozac all through my second pregnancy without any problems. My daughter is 10 and smart, healthy, and doctors told me it was safe. I was at a very high dose also. I suffer from chronic depression and did not really have a choice...I had to take it otherwise I would not have been able to take care of my baby. I was on 80mg I think...its been along time over 10 yrs. I am now on wellbutrin which helps me alot. If its a choice betwqeen breastfeeding or your mental health....take the prozac...your no good to anyone if you can not function!