Postpartum depression
Lately I've been feeling a weird guilt to not being able to breastfeed. My son won't latch because he is tongue tied and when I pump nothing seems to come out anymore. He is a month old and had to transition to formula which now has cause so many problems like gas, reflux, and throwing up all the time. After dealing with that my grandmother just passed and no I've taken that hard. After getting no sleep, practically only 3 hours a night, I feel horrible every day. I think I've been getting depressed from everything building on top of me. Has anyone experienced this before? How do you get better?
Hey samm, please don;t be disheartened or so hard on yourself. I too have a one month old and wasnt able to breast feed. I cried and cried and felt so guilty but I had to do what was best for him. He was born with so much mucus he constantly vomited and I spend three days in labour so no milk came in for way too long that I had to make a quick decision to formula feed. Like you, I felt this dissapointed weird guilt but please dont let that overwhelm you or be your focus. Forget it and focus on the beautiful baby in front of you. These things happen and nothing is so straight forward, Ok so what we planned to do didnt work out and ppl might think thats not giving the best to our babies. But they are our babies and our worry! They will be fed well and constant (the advance in nutrients and vitamins and goodness in formula is amazing!), they will be so loved and provided for, they will grow and thrive (my buster is piling on the pounds!). Hes had difficulties with bad wind and reflux that leaves me with no sleep whatsoever but with patience and time I know it will settle. Keep reminding yourself to be patient and you are not alone. The sooner you except that "ok I tried breastfeed but it didn't work out but that ok because I know I tried" the better you will feel. Cry when needs be thats totally normal! Iv not gone a day without a little tear or two and I know its cos Im overwhelmed and we have every right to be!!! You are trying to cope with a loss too on top of your newborn. Try think of her as your guardian angel watching over you and the baby.  Tips: Pick up the phone and vent to whoever will listen and try and get out for air at least once every day for min 10 mins. Do at least one thing for YOU every day. My parents were worried last week that I was heading down the road of post natal (which I prob was but too proud to admit) but as soon as they put me in check and let me become aware of myself in the situation the more in control I became of it. Dont let it take over you, you take over it!!! Xxx
Fed is best momma! Don't let anyone tell ya different
Don't feel bad! Have you tried different formulas or bottles yet? We switched to similac sensitive ready made liquid and it's made a huge difference. We also switched to playtex ventaire bottles to cut back on the bubbles / air. Good luck!
I am bottle and breast feeding my 1 month old and I am having a hard time latching her. I feel she likes the bottle better than nursing. I am having a really hard time letting go but trying to tell myself that the only thing thats important is that her belly is full and she is loved! I am still trying but everyday gets harder and harder to latch. Things will get better. My little one also had problems with formula but the dr suggested I lay her at an angle. I LOVE the playtex ventaire bottles! I used them for both my children and they are amazing! There's so many women out there going through the same thing, stay strong and reach out! Awesome to have these communities and women to talk to and get ideas from!
I had twins when I was pregnant.at 8weeks one of the twin dead and now after 9months I delivered a baby boy and an 8weeks dead fetus which was removed by the doctor.my postpaturm bleeding was normal but my first period after delivery started from 34th day and it is too long like 20days now ?does this happen to any one really worried
Please don't feel guilty!! My son had the same issue and I also felt guilty and had postpartum depression because of it. My son is now 2 and is perfect without any issues. He had severe acid reflux as well and got medicated for it but honestly his acid reflux went away before he even turned 1. Don't blame yourself. Two of my friends breastfeed and their babies have acid reflux so it might not even be because of the formula. Seriously a happy mom = happy baby whether or not baby is breastfed. They don't care what they're eating as long as they're eating. However if you do feel help, please talk to someone about it before it progresses. You deserve to be happy and enjoy your time with your new babe.
I recommend talking to your doctor. Postpartum depression is real and it sounds like you have other challenges in life that could be causing even more stress and depression. Just know that you are not alone. Each out to those who love you for more support. And as for breastfeeding, don't beat yourself up over it. A fed baby is all a that matters. I recommend trying Enfamil AR formula.  My 1st born struggled with breastfeeding due to lip tie and reflux. We used this formula which really helped with gas and reflux.
Hi, my son is 17 days old and he had a tongue tie which meant from birth I had to mix feed as it was too painful. Luckily the hospital cut his tie when he was a week old and I took him off the formula.. but we still have really bad problems with gad and reflux which means hes sick sometimes and is in a lot of pain after feeding. Try not to let it get you down as long as your baby is healthy then im sure hes happy. Talk to your health visitor as she might be able to help.
I've been feeling the same way lately my baby girl doing the same besides throwing up she's have not throw up but she won't latch on to my breast ned so the but her doctor told me to keep trying to breastfeed into I can get her to latch on for good because she still little my daughter two weeks and 5days
Don't be disheartened about the breastfeeding, I only last 6 days at it due to an infection in my beast. My son spits up from the formula too so now he's on Simalic For Spit-Up and it's working out really great.
Dear,first and foremost you need to accept the harsh reality that you have problems feeding, next thing you have to do is without tarrying switch to next alternative, your baby should not suffer. My daughter was facing this same problem two years back going through a rough patch in life. We had to seek outside help and counselling to bring her back from depression. Now, by the grace of God, she seems to be fine and the baby is now 2 years old.  If need be seek some support and help from postpartum depression counselors toronto (http://www.newmummycompany.ca/services/postpartum-depression-services/). Usually it is due to insufficient glandular tissue, hormonal or endocrine problems, some previous breast surgery, hormaonal birth control measures taken , certain medications and herbs,or sucking difficulties. Take heart, everything will fall into place, you just care for your baby.
My son is now two months old and I am feeling much better! I think I was going through a rough patch at the time but things are great now. No more colic, he sleeps well now. Thank you for the advice
Am going thru d same tin, I had my baby 2weeks 5days ago thru c-section, couldn't breast feed him till now... Have done everytin he won't.... Only on formulae .... And he throw up all d time... When I called his doctor... He said I have to make d water warm a little... I tried it stil d same .... Gt another appointment for him on Tuesday... Den I Wil kW Wat to do next... Pls don't be depress.... It just a matter time.
Im happy better
I am having the same problem my son is a month old as well and i am no longer breast feeding him for the same reason that he will not latch on nor i was producing any milk my advice to you is if you want to continue breast feeding even tho no milk comes out still try pumping 15 min every day on each breast after taking a warm bath make sure to massage the breast before doing this you are giving your body a sign that you want to breast feed don't get stressed out if nothing comes out this can take up to a month you have to be consistent when doing this.hope this helped a lil