Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
Pre PPD question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

Pre PPD question

Hi everyone, still pregnant here (32 weeks) so I don't have PPD but I'm pretty convinced I'll be a candidate for it. For one, my mother and grandmother had it. I've also been depressed on and off my whole life, getting worse with this pregnancy due to stress (lack of financial and emotional support, I don't even know if I have the funds to take more than a week off from work after the baby is born). I'm just looking for some advice for those who are suffering from PPD and the best way to handle it. I really want to breast feed but I know going on an anti-depressant means I shouldn't breast feed. I will probably be without insurance again once the baby is born so I'm really scared facing this all alone. I really don't expect to get much support from my partner, we live together now but I rarely see him so I know "taking a break" from the baby when I'm feeling out of control may not be a possibility.
There are some natural ways to help with ppd that you can try first before u take meds. Take a calcium and vitamin d supplement and exercise 3x a week 20 minutes at a time.  With my second I had ppd and my ob suggested the above and within 2 to 3 weeks I felt like myself again.  Of course if you feel you need meds by all means take them but u can try other things first.  Good luck to u
keep breastfeeding as long as you can! it prevents depression!
there are many meds that are safe top take while you breastfeed!
Talk to your OBGYN about this at your appointment and your concerns.  Sometimes OB will give prescription in the hospital to start taking and then it will be covered for a little bit.  Post partum depression sometimes just happens.  Those darn hormones and chemicals all over the place.  If one has a history of depression/anxiety it may cause to be more candidate but you may just suprise yourself and be just fine.  Either way nothing wrong it having a plan before delivery.  Goodluck and congrats!
I don't agree that breastfeeding prevents depression.  I have had 7 babies, all breastfed, and had PPD each and every time.  BUT you can def breastfeed and take anti-depressants at the same time, and you can do it safely.  I always take Zoloft after I have my babies.

I am sorry you are feeling this way and feel alone.  I know that feeling.  But you are not alone.  We are all here to support you if you need it!  Take care and best of luck to you!