Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
Update: doctor's appointment today
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Update: doctor's appointment today

So how do you know that you truly have PPD?

I went to the doctor today for my son's 9 month baby well appt.  While there, I brought up the fact that I haven't been feeling "right" off an on since he was born.  By not right I mean that I'm feeling overwhelmed by the smallest things, experiencing mood swings, feeling downright crabby and irritable some of the time and feeling empty, finding little joy in things.  None of this is constant - I have my good days....usually when I busy, focused on other things...and especially when I have something to look forward to like an outing or something.

I have a history of depression and health anxiety which presented when my older son was just over a year old and I returned to work following my year long mat leave (I'm in Canada).  My doctor didn't use the term PPD when we talked today....he said "blues" - but I do feel that he's still taking me seriously.  He told me that I need to do more for myself.  Get out, exercise, etc.  And if I start feeling any worse (or this doesn't get better), I'm to call him.  He did say he could put me back on antidepressants (I was on them for a year when I experienced my last "blip"), but that as I wasn't experiencing these feelings 24/7, he wanted to see if it could be managed and helped with simply giving myself more "me" time.

DH is being really great, very supportive and says he'll do whatever I need....watching the boys more so I can do things that make me happy.

I hope this works!!!!