Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
Will this PPD ever end???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

Will this PPD ever end???

I gave birth to beautiful healthy twin boys a year ago. I nursed them for 7 months, and as soon as I stopped nursing I started feeling very bad and was diagnosed with post partum anxiety disorder. This included: nausea, panic attacks and several other symptoms.
I've been on medication for the past 2.5 months, go to the gym, see a therapist on a regular basis and read self help books.
Every day is a battle to get myself out of bed and go to work, then come home and take care of my 2 angels.

Can anyone share from their experience: How long does this illness last???
I feel like I'm trying so hard, but not getting better!! the doctor keeps increasing the dosage, and I feel like a failure every time he does.

please help me.. I am trying so hard, but starting to realize I have no control over my body.

Thanks!
Gosh.  It sounds like you are doing everything "right."  I wish I could give you better advise.  The best thing I can tell you to do is to speak to your doctor/doctors and let them know that you are doing all of this and not yet feeling better.  Hopefully they can shed some light on what the next step would be.  Have they changed your meds to make sure you are on a good one for you?
Thy adding a calcium and vitamin d supplement and a good vitamin in addition to the things u are already doing.  Sometimes vitamin deficiency can make ppd worse.  Good luck.
I'm new to the forums (watching a different one) and I clicked on the ppd forum because I had that so severely and I wanted to tell someone that it gets better, I swear it does. You're message was right there.

My first son is 7 and I hadn't had ppd, but my second son who is 5 now was another story. He was borderline colicky (he needed to be comforted by touch and I was mentally incapable of handling it for more than a few minutes) and I had the worst depression. I loved Cody so much, but I hated being alone with him. His big brother was going through the "terrible twos" and toddler stuff and I used to scream and cry for hours. My husband worked late on a construction site and I had no support system. In fact, my family was in another country.

Through community services (ppd support group and then sexual abuse group -ppd opened up that door), therapy, and medication I got better. Way better. Its hard to even believe that I'm the same woman who went through it all.

Its different for every person that goes through a depression as far as what works and how long it takes. I started feeling better gradually and didn't really notice the different til Cody was about 3. Seems long, but its different for everyone.

If I could change something, it would be to document his infancy. I feel like I wasn't really there for it and I wish I took more pictures and videos of him. I'm sad I didn't enjoy him when he was a baby but now me and him hold a special bond: ironically its holding him and comforting him whenever one of us needs it. I love his hugs.

Hang in there, hon, there's light at the end of this

luf
Becky