Postpartum Depression (PPD) Community
can someone answer my ppd questions please? thanks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Postpartum Depression (PPD).

how can I be sure that what Im experiencing is postpartum depression? I think it is but I dont know if its just hormones or something else. I have been getting severely depressed on and off. One of the biggest red flags I have seen on websites to know that you have ppd is thoughts of harming you or the baby and I cant even imagine doing anything to her or me (because in my mind that would be doing something to her). Also can you nurse while on antidepressants? I feel like im ready to ask my doctor to put me on medication but im worried about being put on medication for a problem that cant be proven that i really have. I dont know I know that may sound crazy but it has been rattling around in my head and if anyone could offer me some feedback It would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, you CAN take anti-depressants while nursing.  I have 6 kids and leave the hospital w/ a prescription in hand.  And I breastfeed all my babies.  It will not harm your baby.

I may have missed something.  I am not sure when you gave birth, but you very well may have PPD.  I always get it and never feel like harming my baby or myself.  I just get super depressed and cry all the time.  You don't have to exhibit every symptom to have PPD.  The things you have seen are just basic guidelines but again, you do not have to have every symptom.

Good luck!  It will get better.  I promise!!!